PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up table saw top

Jerry Cummins
07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
I recently purchased a Craftsman 22114. I want to clean up the top before putting the rails back on. So far, I scraped with a razor blade, and sanded with a palm sander using 600 grit and WD40. It needs more work. How coarse of a sandpaper can I go with and not get into trouble? Will the stains you see here come out?...or do I just ignore since it's cosmetic.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/jcummins42/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0719121000.jpg

Dick Brown
07-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Hi,
I have a bad habit of buying old saws, cleaning and repairing and selling them while making about $.50 an hour for my time. On the real bad, deep rusted ones, I will scrape first, use a wire wheel next, belt sander with anywhere from 80 to 220 grit,ROS to 220,sanding block by hand with what ever it looks like it needs, etc. Needles to say, great care must be taken with the belt sander but when you start with a top that is a disaster, you have nothing to lose. Each one is different and depends on the end result you are happy with. Looking at your pictures, I would try 220 emery cloth with a lubricant on a hand block in the worst area going front to back on the table rather than side to side. See if it will sand out that way. If it works, try the ROS with 220. Then go to finer grit till you are happy. Final polish, front to back by hand. Tiny scratches left after your final polish will not show front to back like they will side to side when standing in front of the saw.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Barkeepers Friend, and WD-40. BKF is avaiable (probably) at your local BORG by the cleaning supplies. It makes a light acid, and works well.
Personally, I would avoid any powered sanders. Your table looks like it's in pretty good condition. The manufacturer goes through a lot of trouble to make your table flat, and using powered sanders can make your table not flat in a surprisingly short period of time. And that is just MY OPINION. My other opinion is that the rust patina is a badge that you should proudly wear that says I actually USE my saw. Your table looks fine to me already.

Jeff Duncan
07-19-2012, 1:55 PM
Stains can be very difficult to remove completely without a full grinding. I also try to avoid excessive sanding. Determining what exactly is excessive is the problem? With 600 grit your not likely to remove much of anything....at least not quickly. You can drop down a grit at a time to see the affect and go from there. Personally I avoid sanding completely, I find I can clean and get rid of mild rust with WD40 razor blades and maroon Scotch Brite pads. It won't remove the stains....but I'm not sure sanding would either?

So no....my machine tops don't look new....but that's b/c they're not:D

good luck,
JeffD

Mark W Pugh
07-19-2012, 2:02 PM
Steel wool and kerosene. Worked for me. Clean off with lac thinner and wax

Joseph Tarantino
07-19-2012, 2:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSJjN8jvdp4&feature=relmfu

Greg Portland
07-19-2012, 2:45 PM
I use the following:
- Evapo-rust for anything I can submerge
- Boeshield Rust-Free spray or TopSaver for light rust on large surfaces.
- Rust Release Super Gel - for heavy rust on large surfaces (this stuff is safer than Naval Jelly / phosphoric acid)

To get rid of the black stains, spray on white vinegar, scrub, and wipe clean. I've heard other folks use H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) or Barkeeper's Friend with some success. A stiff toothbrush helps with the scrubbing.

Once you've done this, you need to immediately protect the surface from future rust. Boeshield T-9 works great. Hit it with a light coat of paste wax if you want the surface to be even more slippery.

Prashun Patel
07-19-2012, 3:49 PM
Looks good to me. As long as the wings are flat to the center table, and there's no rust, I'd wax it and start using it. Those stains look like par for the course. If you manage to remove them, I bet you put other ones on it within a few months. I'm learning not to sweat that.

Jerry Cummins
07-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Looks good to me. As long as the wings are flat to the center table, and there's no rust, I'd wax it and start using it. Those stains look like par for the course. If you manage to remove them, I bet you put other ones on it within a few months. I'm learning not to sweat that.

Thanks everyone. Decided I'll live with the stains...there is no rust. So I've waxed and if this heat ever lets up I'll put it to use.

Denny Rice
07-20-2012, 7:46 PM
When I go to clean a tablesaw with a lot of rust,ect that needs beat back the easist way I have found is:

1. Find a can of penatrating oil (wd-40) will work and spray the entire table top down and let it soak for about 5-10 minutes.
2. Get one of those double sided scotchbrite pads (you can get it at Wal-Mart) and use the green side and scub the hell out of the top. The scotchbrite pad will not damage the surface of the tapletop like some sandpapers will. You may have to repeat this process a couple of times with a new pad until your happy.
3. Take a roll of paper towels and wipe up everything that is loose on the tabletop / check condition of tabletop if not happy repeat steps 1 and 2.
4. After wiping down tapletop take household cleaner like windex or 409 and spray down entire tapletop again to remove all loose rust and the residue from the wd-40. Test table top by running your fingers across the table, they should not slide but kinda hop across the table if its clean.
5.After table is clean and dry treat with atleast 2 coats off Johnsons Paste wax.
6. Tabletop should be smooth as a baby's b*tt! LOL

Myk Rian
07-20-2012, 8:51 PM
WD-40 was made to displace water, and help PREVENT rust.
It does nothing to DISSOLVE rust.

50-50 mix of ATF fluid and Acetone works great.
BKF is my choice to clean iron tops.

Joseph Tarantino
07-21-2012, 10:12 AM
WD-40 was made to displace water, and help PREVENT rust.
It does nothing to DISSOLVE rust.

50-50 mix of ATF fluid and Acetone works great.
BKF is my choice to clean iron tops.

what is BKF?

Myk Rian
07-21-2012, 12:38 PM
As mentioned upthread, Bar Keepers Friend.
A powder that contains Oxalic acid.
Find it in the cleaners aisle of the grocery store.

Peter Kuhlman
07-22-2012, 7:54 AM
I just cut a hunk of abrasive pad and put under my old Porter Cable 333 sander and use WD-40 or whatever lubricant I have handy. Works fast and easy. Clean up and apply wax.

Carl Beckett
07-22-2012, 8:33 AM
I have liked the Boeshield rust remover product for stains. Spray some on and polish with scotchbright.

Denny Rice
07-23-2012, 5:12 AM
Not to start a tiff here but you better look at newer can of WD-40. Not only does it displace water but it also lubricates, protects, and "Penetrates rusted parts". I have used WD-40 for years for this purpose I have also used PB Blaster instead of WD-40 they both work great.