PDA

View Full Version : Unread posts indication

Glen Monaghan
07-19-2012, 8:27 AM
Has something changed on SMC or is it on my end? Threads with unread posts appear bolder than threads where you've read everything, plus those with unread posts have a little circle with downward chevrons that take you to the unread posts when you click on them.

That's still true but, until recently, refreshing the main forum page after reading through all the unread posts would change the bolded listings to normal text and remove the little circle with downward chevrons. Now the page doesn't change until new posts come along. Doesn't matter how many times I view/refresh, it appears that the main page listing doesn't update until something new comes along, and even then I think that not every thread is updated properly.

-Glen

Glen Monaghan
07-19-2012, 8:30 AM
Yep, there were four threads showing new posts before I started this thread. I read the new posts in each of those threads, posted my question, and refreshed the forum listing. My new thread showed up with unread post and those four still showed up as having unread posts although nothing had changed in any of them so now I see five threads supposedly with new posts.

-Glen

Michael Hunter
07-19-2012, 9:02 AM
Are you logged in?

It is working fine for me.

Glen Monaghan
07-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Actually, I usually have a bunch of tabs that stay open with various web pages, including SMC so I don't have to log in every time. But maybe something got glitched so I just now logged out and back in. At the moment, the read threads are cleared per normal, so maybe something got glitched and logging out/in cleared it. I hope...

-Glen

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-19-2012, 2:19 PM
Check your browser settings. Depending upon which browser you are using, you may need to change it to "update every time I visit the web page" or clear your browser cache.

Glen Monaghan
07-19-2012, 2:37 PM
When Michael asked if I was logged in, I decided to log out, close the window, and log back in. I'd had that window open for at least a week, and I think something got glitched with it.

After logging back in with a new window, all is back to normal.

-Glen

Riki Potter
07-22-2012, 7:47 PM
If it's a cache problem like Mike mentioned you can quickly get around it by pressing CTRL+F5, this will refresh the page without using anything from the cache.

I haven't noticed this particular issue before but I've had a few problems on this forum with posts not showing up, both mine and other peoples. Sometimes they'll show up after a while and sometimes they never appear.