PDA

View Full Version : Salad bowl

Mike Cruz
07-19-2012, 7:18 AM
I've been fortunate enough to get a couple turnings from David Keller, so I thought it only appropriate to return the favor (though I think I got the better end of the deal). When I asked him what he'd want, "a salad bowl" was his response... When I asked how big, "about 12-13" would be great" was his reply. So, when he was here, and he saw an Ambrosia Maple rough out I had sitting around, I offered that up to him. He didn't want it because it "the wood was too nice". Well, I insisted that it would be perfect, and I finally got around to turning it. It ended up around 14.5" x 4 or 5" IIRC. Simply sanded to 600 and 4 coats of walnut oil on the inside (3 on the outside). All those fun little beetle holes are filled with epoxy and black dye. There was bark inclusion, too. So, that got filled, as well. If this wasn't supposed to be a utilitarian bowl, I never would have filled a single thing (knowing it was going to Keller!). But he wanted it usable. C&C welcome!

Tim Rinehart
07-19-2012, 7:58 AM
Mike, as I said on WTA...it's GRRRREAT!

Josh Bowman
07-19-2012, 8:19 AM
Very nice!

Prashun Patel
07-19-2012, 8:49 AM
Mike, this is beautiful. The wood is great, and I really like yr form.

Along my walking trail a red maple has fallen that's got some ambrosia, but not nearly as 'tiger stripe' as you've got. Nice.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-19-2012, 8:50 AM
Man cannot live be bread alone so salad bowls are an absolute necessity. You made a nice one for Doc, Mike. I'm sure he will enjoy it.
faust

Michelle Rich
07-19-2012, 11:28 AM
stunning markings well done!

David E Keller
07-19-2012, 3:55 PM
You folks need to find a time to drop by the house and look at this beauty... The pics don't do it justice! I've looked long and hard at this piece to try and find any little flaw or discrepancy(because that's what we turners do), and there's nothing wrong with this piece. Mike Cruz made a perfect bowl, and for the record, I got the better end of the swap!

Roger Chandler
07-19-2012, 3:58 PM
Wowza! that is pretty Mike! Enjoy it Doc!

Prashun Patel
07-19-2012, 4:00 PM
I found a flaw. He did not properly punctuate the sentence, "Made By Mike Cruz for David Keller".

He forgot the period

Mike Cruz
07-19-2012, 4:02 PM
Thanks, David, you really are too kind. Prashun, if that is the only flaw (not sure it is...) I'll take it!

Kathy Marshall
07-19-2012, 11:58 PM
Beautiful, pure and simple. Great form and awesome wood. David is one lucky guy!

James Roberts
07-20-2012, 2:38 PM
Beautiful piece of wood and you did this one justice. You're both right, you each got the better part of the deal: friendship.

Bob Bergstrom
07-20-2012, 6:54 PM
You just don't see the ambrosia that evenly spaced. It was like the bugs were in marching formation up the log. Great job on a fantastic piece of wood.

Mike Cruz
07-20-2012, 8:33 PM
Again, thanks all. Bob, look at my avatar and you'll see what this bowl came out of ...;)

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2012, 9:34 PM
That is a beautiful bowl and beautiful wood Mike.