PDA

View Full Version : Green with envy

Bob Bergstrom
07-18-2012, 9:35 PM
Some more of the box elder stump I posted earlier. This one was similarly treated with black dye, sanded back and yellow Transtint applied with a brush. The yellow is steel wooled with 0000# wool. The steel wool gives a lot of control over the amount of yellow taken off. The black Transtint has a blue cast in it so the bowl ends up green. The beads are cut with a 3/8" gouge sharpen to a point and then undercut using a saws all blade with the teeth taken off and sharpen to a point. Very effective in getting under the bead and producing a three quarter bead rather than a half bead. It really gives much more depth and casts a shadow at the base of the bead. In this case the black dye gives a lot of depth to the beads on the rim. The bowl is about 7" x 6". The rim is udercut under the beads. The walls are 1/4" thick Comments always welcome.

Roger Chandler
07-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Very interesting, Bob! I like the form.......very nice the way you finished off the bottom of it. The color would have to grow on me a bit...........I am more of a natural wood kind of guy, but this has an appeal as the dye certainly picks up the curl in the wood. Nice!

Kathy Marshall
07-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Very nice Bob! I like the beaded rim and the colors with the grain and figure are simply fabulous!

Scott Hackler
07-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Bob, thats a swell bowl. I like the shape and the beading. The color on the other hand........ just not my favorite.

Jeff Myroup
07-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Great Job Bob. Did you lighten the green? I thought it was darker.

Michelle Rich
07-19-2012, 6:22 AM
nice tall bowl, but the color is not my favorite..it is an eye-catcher!!