PDA

View Full Version : BLM Burl HF swap piece

Kathy Marshall
07-18-2012, 8:56 PM
We have a little hf swap going on over at WTA and my swap partner Mike Cruz just received the piece I sent him (and I just received the beautiful piece he sent me, Thanks Mike, but I'll let him post that), so I decided it would be a good time to post it.

This was turned from a piece of BLM burl I picked up at San Jose (really nice wood to turn!). The way the blank was cut, left me with a nice big void, made for easy chip removal and I was able to go pretty darn thin since I could watch the cutter almost all the way to the bottom :D.
I 1st applied a light coat of brown dye (don't have any black) then sanded it back and added a nice coat of blue dye and lightly sanded that back. The yellow in the wood gave it almost a turquoise-ish look. I painted the inside and the edges with black gesso on the advice of John Keeton and I really like the look. Finished up with many coats of WTF, sanded back after about every 3 coats because i was getting ridges (too hot in the shop and it was drying too quickly), then finally beale buffed and waxed with renwax.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Bob Bergstrom
07-18-2012, 10:06 PM
That really came out well. I really like the combination of colors. It is always a surprise when you put the last color on and hit it with the finish. Thanks for sharing such a beautiy.

Scott Hackler
07-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Nice Kathy! Don't let Keller see that block of wood or he'll have to go search his stash and make sure there wasn't a robbery! :)

The coloring is nice, very nice!

Mike Cruz
07-19-2012, 6:58 AM
I can attest to this being a thing of beauty! It is ultra thin, and that void puts the exclamation point on it. Thanks, Kathy, for spending the time on this piece for me. It is displayed proudly among the other turnings I have from other turners. I'm tickled, well...turquoise!

Tim Rinehart
07-19-2012, 8:06 AM
Kathy, you nailed this nicely.
Mike...you scored!:D

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-19-2012, 8:48 AM
Are you sure Mike is a good enough guy to deserve such a fine hollow form? Well done, Kathy. I'm sure Mike will treasure it.
faust

Michelle Rich
07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
great color! great swap!

Mike Cruz
07-19-2012, 3:51 PM
I'm not so sure myself! :o

Kathy Marshall
07-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks everyone!

You're welcome Mike! It was a joy to turn and I was happy to send it off to be enjoyed by another turner!