PDA

View Full Version : Small Blue Hickory Vessel / photo problems

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-18-2012, 6:59 PM
Small wormy hickory vessel.
5 7/8" tall X 2 3/4" dia.
finished with 3 different colors of acrylic artist paints, & gloss varnish. This was going to be a throw away piece as soon as I turned the bark off & found all the worm tracks & holes, as I normally don't finish wormy pieces. I usually just throw them away. However This time I thought it would make a good practice piece for me to work on my airbrushing with.
I've had a devil of a time trying to take a photo of this one and have the colors look right. ( I'm no photographer) This is as close as I could come. The color actually looks richer & darker blue than the photo.
Critique & Comments welcome.

Jim Burr
07-18-2012, 8:28 PM
Good lookin' vase Joe...I like the picture...looks like a blacklight kinda thing!

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-19-2012, 5:00 PM
Good lookin' vase Joe...I like the picture...looks like a blacklight kinda thing!

Thanks for looking Jim. It's the lighting that I'm having picture problems with. The colors just don't seem to come out right in pictures.:confused:

Steve Schlumpf
07-19-2012, 5:06 PM
Joe - that is a good looking vase! I am wondering if using a light gray or white background would make a difference in color?

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-19-2012, 5:15 PM
Joe - that is a good looking vase! I am wondering if using a light gray or white background would make a difference in color?

Thanks for look Steve. I also have grey background paper & I tried it too but I had a lot of shadow problems with it I just couldn't seem to get around.

Steve Schlumpf
07-19-2012, 5:23 PM
So... is it too dark, too light, wrong shade of blue or what? Can't be fixed in a graphic editor?

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-19-2012, 5:45 PM
So... is it too dark, too light, wrong shade of blue or what? Can't be fixed in a graphic editor?

Steve, The color just doesn't come out looking the same as the actual piece. The color is much richer, & has a deeper depth, color than shows in the picture. As for editing, I'm basically dumb. I'm not into photography & don't know anything about editing. It's all I can do to resize a picture to post.

Steve Schlumpf
07-19-2012, 6:20 PM
Joe - at this point with not much else for me to go on, I suggest playing around with your camera settings and see if you can get closer to a real color. If you would like to try a graphics editor... let me know. They are not hard to use and can correct many problems with today's photos.

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-19-2012, 6:27 PM
Joe - at this point with not much else for me to go on, I suggest playing around with your camera settings and see if you can get closer to a real color. If you would like to try a graphics editor... let me know. They are not hard to use and can correct many problems with today's photos.

Steve, thanks & I may hit you up about GRAPHICS EDITOR this winter when I have more indoor time to play with it.