PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Summit mirror replacement

Jeremy Joy
07-18-2012, 6:25 PM
I recently acquired an Epilog summit which is I need of a replacement mirror (the price was right to risk it being irreparable). The mirror located directly above the lense is the one in question. Brian at Epilog was able to provide me with the original part number as well as manufacturer, II-VI, unfortunately they no longer stock a mirror of the same dimensions (they are looking into the possibility of being able to cut one down forme assuming it isn't cost prohibitive.

I just wanted to check and see if anyone knows of possible other sources for a replacement mirror that I may be able to contact.

Thanks, Jeremy

Matt Turner (physics)
07-18-2012, 7:51 PM
http://diylaser.midwestlaserarts.com/2012/01/get-your-co2-laser-mirrors-for-free.html

Steve Busey
07-18-2012, 7:51 PM
Hi Jeremy - welcome to the Creek - check out this creative way (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?188697-Making-Mirrors-From-Scrap-HDs) of getting a mirror from an old hard drive!

Steve Busey
07-18-2012, 7:53 PM
OK, in fairness, I didn't copy Matt's post - we just hit the "Post" button at the same time!

AL Ursich
07-18-2012, 9:01 PM
THAT is pretty IMPRESSIVE.... Good to know.... I have a new mirror here to replace in my Profile sometime...

Was looking at some of his OTHER posts one about a cracked lens... and this little jewel popped up... Ramp Test to find the best FOCUS setting...

"Ramp test is simple, but maybe I should do a quick blog on it soon.

Lay a target piece of material (wood?) on your table with something under one end, making the board ramp up from one edge to the other. Then "cut" (lightly, so not cutting through the board) a straight line that goes from the lower end to the upper end. Most of the line will be wide and fizzy as it is out of focus. Find the narrowest point and measure vertically from there to some known reference point on your laser head carriage. Use that as a measurement point for all future jobs. Just set your material at that known distance below the known reference point.

Careful not to have your ramp so high that your head bangs into it"

This is a Great Place.... AL

Matt Turner (physics)
07-19-2012, 3:01 AM
OK, in fairness, I didn't copy Matt's post - we just hit the "Post" button at the same time!

No worries, Steve. Now everyone gets to see the link as well as the link to the previous discussion about it. :)