PDA

View Full Version : lookin at guns

curtis rosche
07-18-2012, 4:32 PM
I've been lookin at getting a new gun for awhile now, but realized that I have no idea what im looking at. I'm looking for something fun to shoot but cheap on ammo, and not high in price. Not for hunting, just for fun. I stopped at the local gunshop, gundealersonline, and i found a ruger mini 14 done up tactical for what seems to be a reasonable price. $590, but I read some reviews and found mixed results. This wouldnt be shot more than once a month, and only at targets for fun. I have till febuary till I can get a pistol, so while its not out of the question... its not in the picture yet.

Any suggestions on brands or models to look at?

I've shot a decent amount of other guns, .45s, 9mm, .22, .3030, 30-06, numerous shotguns, AR-15, but never bought my own other than my mossburgh. I know the companies but have no idea on the qualities of each.

Derek Gilmer
07-18-2012, 4:45 PM
I'd recommend an ak47/74 long long before a ruger mini-anything or any other assault rifle in that price range.

If you are looking at ar15/m4 style rifles a good one is going to be closer to $1000. BCM (bravo company manf.), Colt, Daniel Defense and Noveske make some of the best m4 style guns around.

What range are you shooting to? A smith and wesson M&P22 (22 lr clone of an m4) is a fun gun and you can shoot it all day for dirt cheap.

Myk Rian
07-18-2012, 5:17 PM
Why not ask at the gun shop?

Joel Goodman
07-18-2012, 5:27 PM
Do you want to plink or are you looking for real accuracy?

Steve Meliza
07-18-2012, 5:44 PM
A .22LR is going to be your cheapest ammo and in general have cheaper rifles. I have a Ruger 10/22 .22LR that likes to get dirty and jam on me, but works well when clean. On the other hand I've shot a .22LR single shot rifle with a head of a nail as the front sight and hit the varmint I was aiming for so you really don't have to go crazy expensive with the gear. If you're considering hand guns as well then look at what Kimber has, I've got a Kimber 1911 that is a really joy to handle and shoot.

Muzzle loading can be a real hoot so you might look at black powder as well if you're in it for the fun. Takes a long time to shoot 100 rounds on a muzzle loader which keeps it cheap. :)

ray hampton
07-18-2012, 6:33 PM
a pellet rifle are also fairly cheap to shoot

Jerry Thompson
07-18-2012, 6:48 PM
I bought my grandson a Henry .22 lever action. It shoots well and is well made. Made in the USA!

curtis rosche
07-18-2012, 6:49 PM
If you're considering hand guns as well then look at what Kimber has, I've got a Kimber 1911 that is a really joy to handle and shoot.

I loved shooting a kimber .45, very nice gun.

Why not ask at the gun shop?
Cause the a gun shop doesn't nessesarily have every brand to look at, and some of them will tell you anything is good just to make a sale...

I'd recommend an ak47/74 long long before a ruger mini-anything or any other assault rifle in that price range.

If you are looking at ar15/m4 style rifles a good one is going to be closer to $1000. BCM (bravo company manf.), Colt, Daniel Defense and Noveske make some of the best m4 style guns around.

What range are you shooting to? A smith and wesson M&P22 (22 lr clone of an m4) is a fun gun and you can shoot it all day for dirt cheap.

I looked at the AK47 and similar styles, but how good are they actually? I know they are famous for being rugged and what not, but at the local shop they can be had from 2-300$ range up to 2k with options and things. And I know ammo for them while not pricey, still isnt super cheap.
I was thinking probably a 22, or .223 just cause they are so cheap for ammo and the actuall gun. I was hoping to find something decent between $650-$400. Used or new, semi-auto. The local range is about 150yards i beleive, so it would be nice to have some accuracy atleast

also found one of these,
Smith & Wesson Model M&P 1522 25 + 1 22 LR Pistol
and this one
Sig Sauer 22 LR 522 model w/Folding Stock Metal Receiver & Picatinny Rail

Todd Burch
07-18-2012, 6:50 PM
I guess a Holland and Holland is out of the question... ;)

curtis rosche
07-18-2012, 6:54 PM
I guess a Holland and Holland is out of the question... ;)

I would be ashamed to put a gun like those in a car that cost less than half of one, just to get it to the range.

Scott T Smith
07-18-2012, 9:09 PM
A .22 is a fun plinker, and you can often find a used one in the $100 - $200.00 range. The mini-14 is a nice gun too, but if it were me I would spend just a tad bit extra and buy an AR 15 model.

There are a plethora of accessories available for the AR's, and they hold their value rather well. Plus, they are reasonably accurate. You don't need a "major brand", many of the knock off's are just fine. Plus they are a joy to shoot.

I personally prefer the flat top models, as that way the centerline of the scope is not so high above the barrel.

Don Morris
07-19-2012, 5:06 AM
My sons bought me a Ruger Mark 3 22/45 for just what you said you wanted. It's a delight to shoot, if it's a pistol that you want. Didn't go the S & W route because of cost. Ammo is cheap and you can put a scope on it and really pimp it up. I also have a Gamo pellet rifle and second the notion about them being fun and cheap. It's also scoped and you can spend all day for little $$$. My son has an AR15. He loves it but when you get above 22cal. the cost also gets higher. The Ruger 10/22 is a nice entry rifle. My grandson's first. Been around a long time and usually a solid weapon. Also second consulting your local gun store. They "should" be the experts.

Richard Jones
07-19-2012, 6:16 AM
The Ruger 22/45 is a great gun and you can shoot it all day for a lot less wear and tear on your wallet and your body. Find the right ammo that it likes and feed it. Mine likes jacketed, not lead, and it's usually easier to get an auto to feed jacketed vs. lead. Decent trigger that CAN be worked on by a smith.

For a rifle, I would recommend trying to find an old/used 10/22. Great action, and you can swap out barrel, stock, trigger, etc., as you see fit.

I can't tell you how much fun my 22/45 has been over the years, and this is from an IPSC shooter that has lots of competition guns.

Good luck, don't forget your eyes and ears...........

phil harold
07-19-2012, 7:53 AM
I thought you were Saving Money for college...
;o)

Rich Engelhardt
07-19-2012, 8:17 AM
A Ruger 10/22 is to .22's what a Porter Cable 690 is to routers...

Not to drag politics into things - but - prices of guns do tend to climb around election time.
If an AR or AK is something you want, now rather than closer to November would be the time to buy one.

Jason Roehl
07-19-2012, 8:48 AM
I thought you were Saving Money for college...
;o)

You have to have all the tools for college--which is a dangerous place. ;)

Jay Maiers
07-19-2012, 9:50 AM
I can't tell you how much fun my 22/45 has been over the years, and this is from an IPSC shooter that has lots of competition guns.

My favorite is a Browning Buckmark, but my sentiment is the same. If you just want to plink, get a decent .22lr rifile or pistol. Tons of fun and cheap to shoot!
There are a couple of clubs near me that have a .22lr class in their "Action Pistol" competitions (nearly identical to the USPSA events). The competition is pretty stiff, however it's all for fun and everyone has a great time.

If you're thinking about defensive weapons for now or later, start with the AR platform. At $40 for 100 rounds of decent ammo, it's quite a step up from plinking, but a decent AR will last forever and can be modified extensively.

AR 15: Legos for adults :)

curtis rosche
07-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Seems like an AR/M4 platform in .22 is the way to go. Any brand names to stay away from or any better than the other? at the local shop Ive seen smith and wesson, sig, ruger, and a few others around the same price, some used and some new.

curtis rosche
07-19-2012, 10:53 AM
You have to have all the tools for college--which is a dangerous place. ;)

gotta protect all that money right? ;)

Derek Gilmer
07-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Seems like an AR/M4 platform in .22 is the way to go. Any brand names to stay away from or any better than the other? at the local shop Ive seen smith and wesson, sig, ruger, and a few others around the same price, some used and some new.

M&P15-22 is kind of the gold standard in out of the box m4 patter 22 rifles. You could get a Normal m4 lower and a .22lr upper. Then if you wanted to upgrade to 5.56 you just need a new upper. But that wont be as cheap as the m&p.

Aside from .22 lr the next cheapest rifle to feed will be an ak74 with suprlus ammo. After that 7.62x39 (ak47) and .223/5.56(m4/ar15) are about the same.

Brian Vaughn
07-19-2012, 11:53 AM
If you're simply looking for cheap and fun to shoot, go for 10/22. .22 ammo is about $20 for 500 shots. Ar's, AK's, and the Mini-14 all shoot .223, which is more like 25-50 cents per shot on the cheap end. Is there a particular look you're going for? Because there are a ton of body kits for the 10/22 which can make it look like a tactical weapon. Take a look at MidwayUSA.com and see what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy shooting an AR as much as the next guy, but when you take a look at what you shot that day, and how much you spent on ammo, it hurts a lot less when you realize that you could have shot all day for that $20, versus just a few magazines.

Another option would be a rifle that shoots a pistol caliber, which can be a little cheaper, but for sheer bang for the buck, the 10/22 can't be beat...plus, you can get one at your local wal-mart (Or at least I can...) for less than $300.

Eddie Watkins
07-19-2012, 12:15 PM
My SO and I have 9mm pistols. We go to the range a couple of times a month. 9mm ammo costs about $22/100 rounds and we each shoot 100 rounds each time we go. The range charge is $10/per person and targets run s $1 / target. It costs $66 each trip to shoot. I have been told that I could reload my own 9mm ammo for around 8 cents per round. The loader costs $400-600 depending on make and model.

Jim Rimmer
07-19-2012, 1:11 PM
If you're going to be working 70 hours a week as you said in another post, when are you going to find time to go to the range?

curtis rosche
07-19-2012, 2:57 PM
If you're going to be working 70 hours a week as you said in another post, when are you going to find time to go to the range?
Every fourth Saturday when I have off,,,, also nice to have something smaller than a 12 gauge in the house, putting down the kitten the other week would have been much cleaner with a .22 than with a 12 gauge with no choke,,,,,,,,

Derek Gilmer
07-19-2012, 3:21 PM
Ar's, AK's, and the Mini-14 all shoot .223, which is more like 25-50 cents per shot on the cheap end.

Not to be overly picky but
Ruger Mini-30 and Ak47 = 7.62x39 ~ .20/ round
Ar15/M4 and ruger mini-14 = .223/5.56 ~ .22/round
Ak74 = 5.45x39 ~ .14/round (surplus)

curtis rosche
07-19-2012, 5:18 PM
I'm looking at Colt, Smith and Wesson, and Sig Sauer. Which brand would you choose? they are all within $100 of each other

Scott Donley
07-19-2012, 5:26 PM
Don't leave out CZ, makes a nice firearm also.
I'm looking at Colt, Smith and Wesson, and Sig Sauer. Which brand would you choose? they are all within $100 of each other

Mike Heidrick
07-19-2012, 9:36 PM
GSG-5 carbine is the sweetest .22LR I have shot. Its on my list for my next gun. Its super fun. Plink plink and zeor recoil. Fire the 22 rounds in the mag as fast as you can pull the trigger.

george wilson
07-19-2012, 9:46 PM
A Ruger mini 14 is not a really accurate rifle. The AK 47 beats it by a mile,though I think all assault style rifles are ugly. The ammo the AK or an SKS shoots (7.62X39) is the cheapest center fire ammo you can get,or at least it used to be. Haven't bought any for a while. It will nearly penetrate 1/2" steel plate at 200 yards,too. At least the old steel core stuff would. Now,it's banned as armor piercing,which it isn't.

Mike Heidrick
07-19-2012, 9:50 PM
A gsg-5 with mods - pic found on net.

http://home.comcast.net/~ssom003/Guns/GSG-5E.JPG

Bill Cunningham
07-19-2012, 9:59 PM
I bought a .17hmr out of curiosity, and was totally blown away by this amazing little caliber (looks like a necked down .22 magnum). It's a bit more expensive than a .22 but shoots faster, farther, and a lot harder than a .22.. You can actually see the splash when it hits the groundhog:D
I have a Mossberg bolt action, but my next one will be a Henry leaver action in .17hmr.. There were problems using the cartridge in semi's hopefully they can get what ever problem it was ironed out.. I have a Henry AR-7 that I carry in the trunk seat of the ATV, and would buy another instantly if it came in .17hmr

Greg Peterson
07-19-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm considering a Marlin 39A. Henry lever action is on the list too. But the Marlin just has my attention.

Craig Matheny
07-20-2012, 12:43 AM
I bought my grandson a Henry .22 lever action. It shoots well and is well made. Made in the USA! Love the MADE in the USA

Don Morris
07-20-2012, 5:07 AM
As I said, my son love his AR15, but before you buy one of those, price a box of Ammo. Then multiply it times the number of times you want, or think you would want to shoot it. But he does have a Blast. Sounds like a Blast compared to my 22/45 too.

Don Morris
07-20-2012, 5:14 AM
Fotgot to add...took my grandson age 11 (his 10/22 was a gift for making honor role) with his scoped 10/22 to the range yesterday and spent an hour plus. He shot his 10/22, I shot my gamo air rifle. I tried out some new wadcutter ammo and compared it to some other ammo I had been shooting. I had just as much fun shooting the air gun.

Derek Gilmer
07-20-2012, 9:45 AM

In an ar15 style? Colt hands down.

curtis rosche
07-20-2012, 11:16 AM
In an ar15 style? Colt hands down.

thanks. Any adivce on attatchments? lasers, scope, fun stuff thats not really "needed" but is fun and not more than $100,,, maybe a grenade barrel hung under the main barrel :rolleyes:

Derek Gilmer
07-20-2012, 11:47 AM
thanks. Any adivce on attatchments? lasers, scope, fun stuff thats not really "needed" but is fun and not more than $100,,, maybe a grenade barrel hung under the main barrel :rolleyes:

My suggestion is buy a bcm, noveske or colt ar. Then mags, ammo and training. Those three will highlight what gizmo you need next. If it is for home defense maybe an light and mount. The ideal m4 configuration I've settled on is a BCM 14.5" barrel w/ a pinned a2x flash hider in carbine length gas system, magpul moe stock, grip and hand guard with a trl1 mounted out front for light. But then it is a bit more than a range toy. Learn to use the iron sights then look at putting a red dot on it. Aimpoint and Eotech are top notch but pricey. I've seen decent reviews on primary arms or vortex for cheap non-life saving use red dots.

If all you are doing is going to the range to plink at paper get a 22lr gun and go have fun.

Peter Stahl
07-20-2012, 7:12 PM
I bought a .17hmr out of curiosity, and was totally blown away by this amazing little caliber (looks like a necked down .22 magnum). It's a bit more expensive than a .22 but shoots faster, farther, and a lot harder than a .22.. You can actually see the splash when it hits the groundhog:D
I have a Mossberg bolt action, but my next one will be a Henry leaver action in .17hmr.. There were problems using the cartridge in semi's hopefully they can get what ever problem it was ironed out.. I have a Henry AR-7 that I carry in the trunk seat of the ATV, and would buy another instantly if it came in .17hmr

Bill,

I went to the Henry site to check them out and they do make one .17hmr caliber. It's a Golden Boy model though. Also the Varmit Express is .17hmr

Jim Burr
07-20-2012, 9:51 PM
Keltec SU16 is a great Mini 14 clone and uses a NATO round that's cheap and easy to find. Good for moderate range. Ruger 10/22 is a bomb to shoot but if you're thinking protection or something like that...have lots of ammo... .223 is a better round. Remington 870 with the assult package is worth it's weight in gold for protection. You can toss an AK out of a helicopter, drive over it with a hummer in 12" of mud and it will fire everytime, It's less cool brother, the SKS is a great way to go too... 7.62x39 round...still around $100 if you shop around, mine has about 600 rounds through it and only my shoulder is the worse for wear.

Tom Winship
07-21-2012, 6:15 PM
I loved shooting a kimber .45, very nice gun.

Curtis, I have a Kimber 9mm (1911 Frame). I love shooting it and 9mm ammo is cheap compared to others.

Bill Cunningham
07-22-2012, 1:48 PM
Bill,

I went to the Henry site to check them out and they do make one .17hmr caliber. It's a Golden Boy model though. Also the Varmit Express is .17hmr

Yup, but what I would like them to make is a AR-7 in .17hmr.. I have one of their new .22 AR7 survival rifles (not the jamb-o-matic they used to be) and love it.. Actually I'm surprised the previous Canadian government did not class it as a 'restricted' weapon because it's black, and looks different.. The AR15 is a restricted firearm in Canada (can ONLY be fired on a range, can only be transported with a valid ATT (Authorization to transport), under lock and key, in a locked container..their dangerous you know..:rolleyes: Yet, a semi 30-06 that can put a hole through a engine block is perfectly OK.. Like they say in Canada, "It's doesn't have to make sense, it's government policy"

Charles McKinley
07-27-2012, 4:42 AM
Hi Curtis,

Barrow a 22 and come to an Appleseed. It sounds like you are still under 21 so it will only cast you $5.00 for the weekend. I am working on becomming an instructor with them.

There will be a 10/22 there and probably a SW 15-22 that you can probably be able to try out. Depending on the renge there may be centerfire that you can try too. History on the battles of Lexington and Condord is presented and marksmanship as taught between WW I and WWII is presented. You will go through about 500 rounds. Women are $10 for the weekend.

It is a very family friendly atmosphere. I took my daughters when they were 8 and 9 and they love it. No modern politics! Malitia only in the 1700's reference. Appleseedusa dot org.

My recommendation is the S&W 15-22 as it has everything where it is on the AR making it a better trainier. Comes with usable peep sights and sling studs.

HTH

Chuck

Van Huskey
07-27-2012, 5:36 AM

Do you shoot a lot of varmint? If so you HAVE to get a .17 Rem!!! I have a 700 in .17 Rem and it is a hoot, knock down P-dogs at 400M. It is a necked down, shoulder back .223. I am guessing the .17HMR runs out of "dog" power at about 200M max.

curtis rosche
07-27-2012, 2:53 PM
Hi Curtis,

Barrow a 22 and come to an Appleseed. It sounds like you are still under 21 so it will only cast you $5.00 for the weekend. I am working on becomming an instructor with them.

There will be a 10/22 there and probably a SW 15-22 that you can probably be able to try out. Depending on the renge there may be centerfire that you can try too. History on the battles of Lexington and Condord is presented and marksmanship as taught between WW I and WWII is presented. You will go through about 500 rounds. Women are $10 for the weekend.

It is a very family friendly atmosphere. I took my daughters when they were 8 and 9 and they love it. No modern politics! Malitia only in the 1700's reference. Appleseedusa dot org.

My recommendation is the S&W 15-22 as it has everything where it is on the AR making it a better trainier. Comes with usable peep sights and sling studs.

HTH

Chuck
thanks for the info. I will look into it

Rick Moyer
07-27-2012, 4:27 PM
Women are $10 for the weekend.

Chuck

Sounds like a great deal!!;). (Sorry, too good to pass that one up).

Bill Cunningham
07-27-2012, 9:53 PM
Do you shoot a lot of varmint? If so you HAVE to get a .17 Rem!!! I have a 700 in .17 Rem and it is a hoot, knock down P-dogs at 400M. It is a necked down, shoulder back .223. I am guessing the .17HMR runs out of "dog" power at about 200M max.
I don't use the .17hmr beyond 200 yards, and never for coyotes. For coyotes, I have a Savage .223 and use the Hornady Varmint 55 gr. It will overlap the holes at 100yards, It's reached out and touched quite a few of those yappy things at various ranges.. The AR7 in .17hmr would make a great backpack/survival rifle, at close range it would take down anything you would have guts enough to shoot. But sadly they don't make it yet. hopefully in the future though..I currently have all the guns I 'need' any new ones will be based entirely on how politically incorrect they look..:p
http://www.henryrepeating.com/images/rifles/h002b-survival-open.jpg