PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 8" Jointer

mike malone
04-08-2005, 9:55 AM
hi.
Just got an email from Grizzly. They are selling 8" jointers (model G1018) for $595 (reg $765). I use a Delta 8" (old style)..
I have never used any Grizzly tools but you can't beat the price. Anyone have experience with this unit?..or any Grizzly stuff?
This price is even better than the Oasis (DJ20) clone.
(http://www.toolmarts.com/product1412.html)
best
mike

Steve Cox
04-08-2005, 10:10 AM
I have used the 1018 (used not owned) and it worked fine. Looked pretty solid too. I was going to buy one but then came across a deal on a Powermatic that made it less expensive than the Grizzly for me.

Dan Oelke
04-08-2005, 10:10 AM
darn darn darn darn darn!

I just got my G0500. For the little over the G1018 I figured it was worth it, but at that price I would have gone for the G1018.

Oh well - it's only money - right??? I still have a nice tool - now if I can just get the time to actually finish putting it together and USE it. Nothing more annoying than having a new toy and instantly having a gazillion emergencies pop up.

Matt Meiser
04-08-2005, 10:20 AM
I forwarded the email to my wife asking permission to order earlier this morning. I figure she can't yell at me that way :eek:

Anyone looking for a 6" open stand Delta?

Ray Bersch
04-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Matt, my friend, wrong approach! Never ask permission - always show the benefits - "Look, honey, this is the model I have needed for a long time and it's being offered at a bargin price. When the re-sale of my current tool in factored in, this is a real bargin. Let's go for it!"

You see, the "Let's go for it!" implies asking permission and brings her into the decision. The "I have needed for a long time" shows your restraint and resistance to impulse and the "bargin price" - well, what better words to use with the wife!!

Now, these words are being offered from years of experience - OF HAVING THAT APPROACH BEING CONTINUOUSLY USED ON ME - and successfully, I might add - crafty, these women.

Ray

mike malone
04-08-2005, 10:57 AM
I like your approach, Dr. Ray
mike

craig carlson
04-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Who was it that said it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission?

James Carmichael
04-08-2005, 12:13 PM

He was obviously single:-)

Matt Meiser
04-08-2005, 1:41 PM

I tried that one once. She found the receipt before we could discuss. :eek:

Mike Monroe
04-08-2005, 1:48 PM
I like to just sneak a new machine into the shop and throw sawdust all over it. Make like it's been there forever. Then if she asks, just say I've add that for a long time. Of course, this doesn't work; as the credit card bill never lies.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-08-2005, 1:53 PM
Mike....My BIL was doing that with guns on my sister. He was putting the guns in the coat closet so she'd see them everytime she got her coat. Didn't work....she knew what was going on and talking with me about it. She just let him think it was working! :(

David Fried
04-08-2005, 3:08 PM

Isn't that Stuart's Law of Retroaction?

JayStPeter
04-08-2005, 8:29 PM
I've had a 1018 for a couple years now. I bought it used. It has been great.

I ordered a Byrd cutterhead for it a couple weeks ago. I'll be asking forgiveness when it gets here :eek: :D

Jay

Ernie Hobbs
04-08-2005, 9:15 PM
I forwarded the email to my wife asking permission to order earlier this morning. I figure she can't yell at me that way :eek:

Anyone looking for a 6" open stand Delta?

How much do you want for it? Ship to Alabama?

Matt Meiser
04-09-2005, 9:07 AM
How much do you want for it? Ship to Alabama?

I don't think that would be real practical.

Alan Tolchinsky
04-09-2005, 10:46 AM
hi.
Just got an email from Grizzly. They are selling 8" jointers (model G1018) for $595 (reg $765). I use a Delta 8" (old style)..
I have never used any Grizzly tools but you can't beat the price. Anyone have experience with this unit?..or any Grizzly stuff?
This price is even better than the Oasis (DJ20) clone.
(http://www.toolmarts.com/product1412.html)
best
mike

You can get the 0586 for only $30 more and includes a 2 h.p. motor and 4 knives. This is a brand new unit. I think it's worth the extra $$. What do you think?

JayStPeter
04-09-2005, 11:46 AM
You can get the 0586 for only $30 more and includes a 2 h.p. motor and 4 knives. This is a brand new unit. I think it's worth the extra $$. What do you think?

Alan,
I agree with you, but only for the bed extensions. I think 3 knives is fine and really wouldn't want to have to set 4. To me it's just an extra chance to get one wrong and spend another ?? minutes with the dial gauge. Since I don't have 4 knives, I don't know if the extra 1/2 HP is necessary. It certainly isn't on a 3-knife version.

The positives of the deal on the 1018 version:
You can get it now. Not wait for the boat from China to arrive ?when?. Though if you're saving for it, that may be a positive ;)
It is a proven model. Been made for a long time in the same Taiwaneese factory. The new one is just being made in a factory in China. You'll be getting the first batch, possibly with associated first production batch issues. I'm sure Grizzly will fix any problems, but it might take some time and effort on your part. I got one of the first G0513 bandsaws and it had some early production problems. It took me a while to get fixed as I had to wait on some parts to be shipped from the factory. It didn't bother me, but IMO you have to be willing to accept that risk. Since jointers are pretty simple, the risk is probably low, but it is still a possibility.

Jay

Alan Tolchinsky
04-09-2005, 1:09 PM
Hi Jay, Wow, I sure learned a lot from your post. I really never considered all the points you just made. It's just like new cars: Don't buy the first model year. Now I'm wondering if any of the jointers are made in a 9*** type factory. I'm going to the site to check on it. Alan

JayStPeter
04-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Alan,

I definitely don't know everything about the machine.

I would probably be ordering the new one if I was in the market though :cool:

Jay

Alan Tolchinsky
04-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Jay, I have a 6" Jet that I like but would love to get the Grizzly 8". I sometimes have trouble jointing longer boards but I can get it to work most of the time.