PDA

View Full Version : Fein tools only for hobbyists?!

Mark Levitski
07-18-2012, 1:44 PM
My wife and I share a woodworking shop. She builds free-form, tree branch furniture and accessories. I am a turner. We have purchased several Fein tools over the past years. The multi-master has gotten very little use, mostly as a detail sander. The 8 inch ROS gets used on our larger slab tables and such. They still are working fine. Then we got a Turbo III vac mostly for DC for the combo belt sander and our smaller ROS's. Granted, it has gotten more use than the other Fein tools. However, after only recently gotten it (a little over a year ago), it now will not turn on. After spending that much on a vac, I'm very disappointed and now cannot recommend buying anything from them anymore. Seems like if you use their tools a lot they fail? Grrrrr............

Mark

J.R. Rutter
07-18-2012, 1:48 PM
My Fein vac has been used commercially (maybe an hour per day) for several years now with no issues. Sounds like you might have a dirty switch or loose wire somewhere?

John Coloccia
07-18-2012, 2:00 PM
You can't have 100% reliability, Mark. Fein has a reputation for very high reliability and longevity pretty much universally. Have you even called them about it yet?

Rod Sheridan
07-18-2012, 2:47 PM
Mark, I guess you've never had anything fail?

One failure isn't a reason to drop a company, otherwise there would be no companies we could buy from.

As others have suggested, give Fein a call and see how they suggest to proceed...............Regards, Rod.

Mark Levitski
07-18-2012, 3:29 PM
Mark, I guess you've never had anything fail?

Actually, I've had a string of supposed high quality things fail lately, not just in the shop. Perhaps that's coloring my mood. Chief Rain in the Face, remember?

Sure, I'll try calling, but I'm not hopeful with a 1 year warranty and a policy of "no serviceable parts".

robert raess
07-18-2012, 3:46 PM
I have owned 3 Fein tools.The original multi-tool which used to undercut casing and chase grout, the gear on that is out after many yrs. of good service.I had a Fein mini-turbo vac, that i loved and vacuumed up some concrete dust and it never behaved the same after that. the whole motor case is sealed and i couldn't get inside to exam..tho disappointed, i would get another.Now I have the new mutimaster and love it, i use it alot in hardwood floor install situations.It's very strong and i would definitely get another. Rob

David Kumm
07-18-2012, 4:26 PM
Mark, you need to determine if you have a motor problem- bummer- or an electrical- switch problem. Euro switches are no better than Asian as many electrical parts from Europe have Asian components. They will be replaceable and no big deal. For most non commercial people the switches go before the motor. Dave

joe milana
07-18-2012, 4:40 PM
Mark, I have two of the fein supercuts. I believe I paid over $800 a piece. Both have had switch problems, and one has developed an overheating problem. I send them in, and they return fixed. Frustrating? Yes. Would I work without them? No way. I have a Metabo angle grinder (also German) that developes switch problems as well. I get it fixed locally , so not as inconvenient, but frustrating as well. I'd still buy another if I had too because no other grinder compares.

William Addison
07-18-2012, 7:15 PM
I had a Fein Turbo that died before it should have.

Greg R Bradley
07-18-2012, 7:32 PM
I have 3 Fein Vacs including one that is near 20 years old. Also have one in a commercial shop that runs around an hour a day for several years. Also another that is used in a factory making abrasives. It is the only one that requires repairs but the expected life for a normal shop vac in the same business is 30-60 days.

Mike Heidrick
07-18-2012, 7:54 PM
Can I have the vac?

William Addison
07-18-2012, 8:03 PM
If you're asking me if you can have the one that died on me, you don't want it. Just before I unplugged it the plastic over the motor was melting and it was emitting serious smoke.

Mark Levitski
07-18-2012, 8:30 PM
One failure isn't a reason to drop a company, otherwise there would be no companies we could buy from.

Wrong IMO. Companies that don't serve their customers die, and then there are none? No, others arise to replace them that are more fit to survive. That's the law of the jungle. Make enough tools that fail that soon and you are out of business. The consumer vote counts perhaps more than the votes coming up in November. Oops, shouldn't have mentioned politics :).

Yes, I'll still call them as "others have suggested here", but in other places as many or more have suggested don't bother--there is no recourse but to buy expensive parts and service. Remember, no matter how many stories there are out there, I'm the one with the expensive and "reputable" vac that doesn't work. Those are the facts. I don't expect myself to be disappointed and refrain from anger about that. Do you? After all, this forum is one of the places that provided me with the encouragement to go Fein. Now you can dish it out, but not take it so to speak?

I'll file the usual report about their response.

joe milana
07-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Wrong IMO. Companies that don't serve their customers die, and then there are none? No, others arise to replace them that are more fit to survive. That's the law of the jungle. Make enough tools that fail that soon and you are out of business. The consumer vote counts perhaps more than the votes coming up in November. Oops, shouldn't have mentioned politics :).

Yes, I'll still call them as "others have suggested here", but in other places as many or more have suggested don't bother--there is no recourse but to buy expensive parts and service. Remember, no matter how many stories there are out there, I'm the one with the expensive and "reputable" vac that doesn't work. Those are the facts. I don't expect myself to be disappointed and refrain from anger about that. Do you? After all, this forum is one of the places that provided me with the encouragement to go Fein. Now you can dish it out, but not take it so to speak?

I'll file the usual report about their response.

Is this your way of trying to tell us you never registered your expensive German vacuum, because last I remember, Fein comes with a 3 year warranty, and you claim to have purchased the vacuum just over a year ago. Sure, as previously suggested, warranty work is convenient, but they should take care of your problem.

Chris Parks
07-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Protool are the industrial side of Festool.

Peter Quinn
07-19-2012, 12:26 PM
I've never owned a fein van, but I've used two in shops I've worked in, small commercial shops both. They both got what I'd call pretty intense regular use, both continue to work flawlessly and the owners both highly recommend them. I went with a PC vacuum based on reviews about the front wheels breaking on the fein when it went to lots of job sites. Better as a shop based tool, I think they have changed the front wheels since then. I've put some hurt in to a multi master or two as well, I'm hard on tools, especially those I don't own (guilty I'll admit), and I've yet to kill one. If these are hobbiest tools, they are very tough ones. I suspect you will have more people happy with Fein tools than not based on my experience.

Jeff Duncan
07-19-2012, 1:49 PM
I generally think it's better to address the problem first before venting on a public forum. Unfortunately 'shoot first, ask questions later' seems to be the way things are done these days:(

I would call the manufacturer and try to diagnose the problem to see if there's something really simple that will fix it. If not and there's a part that needs to be replaced you'll have to decide whether or not it's worth it to fix it, but at least you'll have the full story to share.

FWIW things happen, doesn't matter if it's a cheap Asian import or the top of the line German equipment. Sure your odds are better with a higher end product, but there's always going to be the occasional hiccup. I only have one Fein tool and I use it commercially for installations and it's been problem free for several years. I'm more than happy to recommend it to anyone who asks;)

good luck,
jeffD

Larry Edgerton
07-20-2012, 6:26 PM
In your attempt to diss Fein it seems that you have created a consensious among pros that they are good tools. Can you say backfire?

Count me in as a pro that has had great success with Fein tools.

Larry

Jerome Stanek
07-20-2012, 7:57 PM
O have the multi master and 2 turbo vacs anf they all work long and hard with no problems

Mark Levitski
07-20-2012, 9:05 PM
Let's see: Fully 1/3 or 33% of my Fein tools have failed in one year of medium service. That's a fact. Would you think that I should, based on my personal experience, be happy with that? C'mon fellas. What would I care about your own experience from a few posters here? Well, I did use your posts to try to steer myself in the right direction for a purchase, but it seems that the same premise of a few "good" reviews led me to a dud in this particular case. I now question the whole internet review situation. However, what else can one move ahead with except the blind trial and error? Buy something by poking and hoping? I wonder. What truly representative survey is out there for us to use as a guide? Dunno.

I don't wish to "dis" any manufacturer in itself. I can name and give positives for quite a few in my experience, and I have done so. But if the internet reviews and forums are out there, in the very least the facts should be put forth both positive and negative. It seems that censorship is rampant so as not to hurt feelings (sob, sob) or for advertising sales or sponsorship purposes. Shame.

Prior to the internet, companies could get away with much less exposure to review and could, to a great extent, market regardless of feedback from the masses. Not so as much anymore. I would like to hold them, as far as my personal power allows, to be more accountable to the principle "what the market will bear". It serves me individually. I want more and better products available. Those manufacturers want more profit. That's OK and we both can be happy, if they can both sell me and profit from a vacuum that works for me.

"So what's the fuss, Mark? My tools are working. Yours aren't? Can't be--stop complaining, will ya?"

John Coloccia
07-20-2012, 9:19 PM
At least let us know what Fein said when you called them.

David Weaver
07-20-2012, 9:33 PM
I'd be curious to find out what they say when called, too, that's really the only thing useful that could come from any of this.

The conclusions drawn on one piece of gear (that is under warranty) not working out of three almost seem to me as if they'd have to be scripted. The overreaction is totally over the top.

Jeff Duncan
07-23-2012, 1:26 PM
I don't think your going to find what you want. First b/c even those who do 'good' tool reviews are not generally going to follow up a couple years later. And secondly b/c even if say 1 out of 100 of the particular tools failed within that timespan, and someone followed up a year later.....what's the chance that the one the reviewer bought is a faulty one? You've already seen most people who bothered to respond are happy with their tools, so that by itself should tell you something;) If Fein was just making junk you probably would have gotten more responses to that affect??? And using percentages when you've bought 3 tools is a little much no??? If we're going to go there we'll have guys who only bought a single tool saying 100% of what they bought from 'so and so' was defective:confused:

Of course you can be disappointed with your tool and should be. I think what we're trying to convey is stuff happens, regardless of manufacturer. I think we're just recommending you to make some calls and get some answers before making a negative post. Then if your not satisfied you can rant on them all you want, no one has stopped you yet!

good luck,
JeffD

Mark Levitski
08-18-2012, 2:30 PM
OK, it' been awhile and here's the report:

I tore the vac apart and tested the switch, board, and brushes. The board was bad. I thought that if I contacted Fein USA with this, the best that they would do was to replace the board, or even the whole vac. How was I to trust that it wouldn't fail again? I decided that they have a problem with supplying reliable electronics to go with the (so far) good rest of the vac. I do not have the time to go through another round with a manufacturer. I removed the board and re-wired it as a straight, full vac. Then I bought a $50 auto switch (I Vac) and will see how long that lasts. If I had to buy another board, it would cost well over $100. I have no variable speed now, but I at least have a working DC.

My motive here is not to merely "rant". I have used this and other forums for advice a lot. They are a good place to share both the good and the bad. No one would target somebody for being a complainer if they reported here that their self-designed jig or tip or technique that they tried really didn't work very well. Any report or review is to save someone from extra effort, agony, or money. Or it is to steer someone in the opposite direction: GO BUY THIS or TRY THIS METHOD, it's great! I hope that my "negative" (God forbid!) report helps others make a decision about buying a vac for automatic dust control. And you might try reading the positive comments I haved posted also. Or should we censor all opinion? I might be that one in a million with a bad Fein vac, but that shouldn't stop me from announcing it. Otherwise we might as well revert back to the pre-internet past where there were not many reviews around to base a buying decision on.

I have drafted a standard letter to Fein re: this so that they can have some feedback. I don't think a phone call or an e-mail would be the best way to go.

So for you "Fein is fine" people, you're still only 2/3 right in my book. :)

Andrew Kertesz
08-18-2012, 3:03 PM
So you sent a letter with little expectation of getting a resolution to your warranty problem and in the same excercise probably voided the warranty in altering the manufactured design and function of the machine. I don't have a dog in this fight but from what I am reading it seems like you just wanted to complain and then set things up so you can continue to do so. From what you have stated you really didn't give them the opportunity to honor the warranty so you're going to just have to "suck" it up....:cool:

John Lanciani
08-18-2012, 4:48 PM

I do not have the time to go through another round with a manufacturer. I removed the board and re-wired it as a straight, full vac. Then I bought a $50 auto switch (I Vac) and will see how long that lasts.

You didn't have time to call or e-mail Fein but you had time to go to the store and buy parts and you had time to write this post? Sounds to me like you didn't want to give Fein a chance to prove you wrong...:rolleyes:

John Coloccia
08-18-2012, 6:08 PM
I hope that my "negative" (God forbid!) report helps others make a decision about buying a vac for automatic dust control. And you might try reading the positive comments I haved posted also. Or should we censor all opinion? I might be that one in a million with a bad Fein vac, but that shouldn't stop me from announcing it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?170392-Administrative-WARNING-about-Rant-Threads

:::shrug:::

Mark Levitski
08-18-2012, 9:04 PM
altering the manufactured design and function of the machine

The "design" didn't work. It needed to be "altered", wouldn't you think? I just altered it in the most economical way in both money and time/effort. And I am not the only one. There is another thread on here now to that effect, and I have found others online for the same symptoms.

Like I said, what would Fein do at best, give me another vac that would fail in a year then ask me to go through this again. Only a fool would approach this much differently.

"Pick two fingers." Moe

Chris Parks
08-18-2012, 9:36 PM

I tore the vac apart and tested the switch, board, and brushes. The board was bad. I thought that if I contacted Fein USA with this, the best that they would do was to replace the board, or even the whole vac. How was I to trust that it wouldn't fail again?

Are you serious? I rate this whole thing as a troll and you have got the response from most here that it deserves. I suspect you expect Fein to see this thread and react in some way but as you don't want a replacement or repair I have got no idea of what they might do or exactly what your expectations are in all this. Unsubscribe from thread.

Mark Ashmeade
08-18-2012, 9:52 PM
If it's out of warranty, then I would have a play and see if I could fix it myself. If it's in warranty, then don't mess with it.

Did you buy the extended warranty? I very rarely do, it's a means to extract profit mostly. But then if you buy an immensely complex machine that requires special tools, then perhaps it is worth it. I did just that recently with a jet ski. But a vacuum cleaner? Jeez. They're about the most simple electrical machines out there.

Harvey Miller
08-18-2012, 11:44 PM
I am confused. Your Fein Vac had a three year warranty
http://www.feinus.com/en_us/service/3-year-plus-guarantee/3-year-plus-guarantee-t296991/

Isn't that part of the reason you buy them?

Kevin W Johnson
08-19-2012, 12:09 AM
I'm betting NOTHING you buy ever lives up to your impossible expectations. You never even contacted the manufacturer to give them the opportunity to fix it, yet you come on here and rant about it. You don't have a valid complaint at all.

It's truely my hope that Keith removes your thread, as there is a rant policy here.

Rich Engelhardt
08-19-2012, 7:57 AM
The board was bad. I thought that if I contacted Fein USA with this, the best that they would do was to replace the board, or even the whole vac. How was I to trust that it wouldn't fail again?
Actually - knowing a bit about how boards and electronics work......I can think of a dozen or more reasons why a board could fail that have nothing to do with how it's made or who made it.
& that's just off the top of my head..

Did you ever for a second stop to think that it may not be the product, but the environment?
If it's the former, then the right thing to do would have been to contact Fein first, then rant later if their warranty service wasn't what you expected t should be after paying so much for it.
If it's the latter then you're in all likelihood going to have "hobbyist issues" with whatever you buy - if it has electronics...

According to the specs, the Fein Turbo III "Handles power tools with inputs ranging from 5 - 2,000 watts".
What exactly did you have plugged into it? How much current can the circuit the vac and the tools supply?

You do know that undervoltage can take out electronics just as easily as overvoltage don't you?

Larry Frank
08-19-2012, 7:57 PM
I can not believe that with the product still in warranty that you did not contact them to fix it. I think this is a good way to throw money away.

If people want to rant about a product, they should at least contact the company and see what they will do before ranting about how bad it is.

doug faist
08-20-2012, 5:43 PM
Mark - I have read this thread several times and have yet to figure out exactly what your point is here. My experience has been that "&%St" happens; products fail. When I contact the company if this happens, 9 of 10 work out a reasonable solution. The one that doesn't, I just don't deal with anymore. It's called "life".

If you expect perfect products that never fail, best to build them yourself or find another hobby. Otherwise, relax and go make sawdust.

Doug

Peter Kelly
08-22-2012, 10:38 AM
I am confused. Your Fein Vac had a three year warranty
http://www.feinus.com/en_us/service/3-year-plus-guarantee/3-year-plus-guarantee-t296991/

Isn't that part of the reason you buy them?
One caveat with Fein and that 3 year warranty is that you must register the tool within 6 weeks of purchase in order to 'qualify' for it. Otherwise they'll stick you with paying for any repair within that period even if you still have a receipt showing when you bought it.

Not a great strategy for building loyalty among customers IMO.

harry hood
08-22-2012, 10:20 PM
How do you propose that they track whether something is under warranty if not through registration or, failing that, a receipt with the date of purchase on it?

Steve Meliza
08-23-2012, 1:22 AM
How do you propose that they track whether something is under warranty if not through registration or, failing that, a receipt with the date of purchase on it?

Milwaukee uses the manufacture date for their 5 year warranty if no proof of purchase is provided, no registration required either.

harry hood
08-23-2012, 3:46 AM
Milwaukee uses the manufacture date for their 5 year warranty if no proof of purchase is provided, no registration required either.

That's interesting. I just looked up the manufacturing date on my sawzall and it was almost 3 years before I bought it so without a receipt I would have had effectively a two year warranty if something went wrong with it and lost the receipt. I guess that's better than nothing but it seems easier to just mail a registration card in.

Matt Meiser
08-23-2012, 7:49 AM
You do realize the only reason most manufacturers use warranty registration cards is to get your information so they can sell it to whoever they want, right?

harry hood
08-23-2012, 2:11 PM
And get your address for recall notices and warranty. Your mailing address has been bought and sold so many times already a few warranty cards aren't going to matter.