PDA

View Full Version : Hot Glue Gun Recommendation????

Glen Blanchard
07-17-2012, 9:50 PM
I'd like to try hot gluing a blank to a sacrificial blank (which is in turn, mounted to a faceplate). I know the trick is getting the glue sufficiently hot and that most craft type guns won't bring the glue to the temperature needed. Anyone have a specific recommendation for a gun?

Jim Burr
07-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Out of my area Glen...except to say that there are several different glue consrtucts that conform to the need...temp...adheasion time, bonding time, so on. Shop and compare

Mark Wollschlager
07-21-2012, 7:56 PM
Terry Scott ( in his Manta Ray DVD ) uses Bostik industrial hot melt glue and gun.
He does not have the model listed, but it looks like a BTG-4. ( Wow , they are not cheap )
He uses a lot of hot melt for mounting and attaching supports so I will go with that.

Mark.

charlie knighton
07-21-2012, 9:42 PM
i bought my mini-hot gun and refills at Lowe's, i believe it was made by Arrow, but all you need is the mini

i use it on the multi-axis wall hangings i do, i anchor the blank with two screws through the mdf about 1/4 inch into the blank, then hot glue the edges

Marty Eargle
07-21-2012, 10:27 PM
I've been using whatever brand Home Depot carries for sometime now. Takes a few minutes for the glue to get addequately hot...but has never failed me and I use hot glue on almost every piece I turn.

John King
07-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Glen - Take your 40% off of one item coupon from Michaels and buy the best they have. Use it until it fails. Toss it in the trash. Buy another one at 40% off. These things are disposable. Don't spend a lot of money buying some premium quality glue gun. - John