PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Siding Repair Help Needed

Raymond Fries
07-17-2012, 7:57 PM
Looking for help to replace some vinyl siding; my trimmer tore holes in it. :mad: I have never done this before but I am told it is pretty easy.
I have to cut it to fit around the A/C & Heating unit; it is a full 12’ panel.
What is the best way to cut it?
Are special fastners needed to attach the new piece?
I am assuming I do not have to remove the trim.
Does it matter if I start in the corner or is it better to pull it from under the piece on the right side?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Myk Rian
07-17-2012, 8:56 PM
Pop the second row off the top of the bottom row.
Pull the nails, and replace it. Pop the second row back over the lower row lip.
You don't have to mess with what's around the AC, except the very small area right under it.. There are 3 rows there.
Use tin snips to cut it.

Gary Max
07-17-2012, 9:33 PM
You can use anything from a knife to a tin snip or even break out the circular saw.

Harry Hagan
07-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Your question reminded of a Tom Silva segment on This Old House about replacing vinyl siding.

Tom does a good job of explaining the simple replacement process in the video but it’s "currently unavailable". You might check this link from time-to-time if you can’t find another resource.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,1630939,00.html

Myk Rian
07-18-2012, 12:11 PM
The video is there.

Raymond Fries
07-18-2012, 1:15 PM
Perfect Video - Thanks

Got the siding yesterday. Next, I get to go buy a new tool! :) YAY tools...
...too bad it is not for wood.

Shawn Christ
07-18-2012, 1:22 PM
I didn't watch the video but thought I would add that the lower edge of the bottom course is likely attached to a starter strip, but it will snap off with a downward motion just like the second course.

Raymond Fries
07-18-2012, 8:20 PM
Thanks for the tip Shawn and everyone else as well. I think I am good to go... :)

Jason Roehl
07-18-2012, 8:58 PM
Another tip is to not work with vinyl siding in very cold temperatures. But, I see your location is Ft. Wayne, so I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about that for a while. The siding should remain plenty pliable for you while you work on it.