PDA

View Full Version : Tour my shop

Harlan Barnhart
07-17-2012, 7:52 PM
I moved about three months ago. Since then, my work space has been a storage facility for boxes that need unpacking but I have finally made some headway with getting organized. This is the first time I have a dedicated work space. Until now I have built in the kitchen. That involves a lot of setting up, taking down and cleaning so I am very excited. Already I can see my productivity is headed in the right direction.

Here is my bench area.

The most frequently needed tools are within easy reach.

Clamps and tool cabinets are to the right.

This cabinet houses tools for boring, braces, bits, drills ect...

Further to the right, a small cabinet with glue and such. Also some saws.

Jeff Wittrock
07-17-2012, 7:57 PM
Very good use of space. With my garage, I haven't accomplished as much.

Harlan Barnhart
07-17-2012, 7:58 PM
A few more pictures.
This cabinet is along the right wall as well. It is home to planes, saws, special chisels and general hand tools.

Wood storage is to the left of the workbench.

And just to show how flexible and easy going I am, notice I share my work space with a bedroom. That obstacle in the center of the floor is an unfinished tool chest. It needs a lid, trays and other details. Someday...

Joe Bailey
07-17-2012, 8:14 PM
You've done a great job maximising the available space.
I'm willing to wager that a lot more actual woodworking takes place in your shop, than in many a high-dollar, mega-shop.

Phil Thien
07-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Pillow talk can now include "hey, is that hardwood?" and still be completely innocent!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Very nice! My "shop" is in our living quarters too. It has it's ups and downs, but I definitely appreciate it. I'd love what I have now, plus a little space in a basement or shed or something for a bandsaw or something.

Of course, my living quarters don't look nearly as nice as yours. *very* jealous of all those windows!

I'm thinking I should have gone with lots-of-little storage cabinets over my attempts thus far at one big one. I really like your organizational setup.

Bruce Page
07-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Nice space! It must feel great to get the tools back out of the boxes.

Bill Stephenson
07-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Just got a couple of Egg Beaters and have been thinking how to store these clumsy tools. your brace & hand drill storage looks like a great way to do it.

Peter Pedisich
07-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Harlan, lots of great stuff there...nice ideas and use of space. Thanks for sharing!

pete

Terry Beadle
07-18-2012, 3:07 PM
That fire place ( if it's conventional ) will be really handy to get rid of shavings and useless cut offs. Keep the toes warm in the winter too!

Good organization...it will pay off !

Enjoy the process.

Mike Allen1010
07-18-2012, 3:13 PM
Thanks Harlan for sharing the pictures of your shop. It looks like you have a great space there -- and I'm also really jealous of your windows and natural light.

I always enjoy seeing pictures of how other woodworkers arrange their shops/tools. I really appreciate you taking the time to share.

All the best, Mike

Andrew Pitonyak
07-18-2012, 3:47 PM
I always enjoy seeing how others setup their shop...... because I always see things that I can do better in my own.

Joe A Faulkner
07-18-2012, 6:35 PM
I love the space and what you have done with it. I really like your small tool cabinets\tills.

Matthew N. Masail
07-19-2012, 10:38 AM
That's really nice ! even something better about it than a shop that is just a shop. kind of makes me think of a master creating phenominal works of art in his humble work space.

Federico Mena Quintero
07-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Very nice shop! I wish I had a bed in my shop; it would be nice to lie down after some heavy planing.

You have very nice ideas for tool storage!