PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal for a 1.5HP Oneida Cyclone?

Douglas Robinson
04-08-2005, 8:47 AM
I guy near me has a 1.5HP Cyclone Dust collector he is selling, asking price $550.00

I do not know how old or how much use yet. I also do not know what size drum, if any, or details about the filter.

What questions should I ask?

Thanks

Doug

Jim Becker
04-08-2005, 8:59 AM
Internal or external filter? Age? $550 is a little high, IMHO, unless it's a recent model with the design improvements. I sold my circa 2000 unit for less than that with a lot of goodies included...

Steve Aiken
04-08-2005, 1:17 PM
A brand new 1.5 Hp Oneida costs 791.00 USD with dust bin and mounting bracket for the internal filter. External filter runs 926 USD complete. Plus tax. Right now shipping is free. The new one has about 500 CFM @ 6-in SP which would be fine for most machines running very little ductwork and very minimal flexhose.

So really there are 2 questions:
1. Is this a good price? Not to bad compared to the cost of a new one, especially if it has the external filter. Maybe room for bargaining though.

2. Is this machine adequate for the needs of your shop. It will be $500 wasted if it is underpowered for your shop. For example, this DC may struggle to clear chips from a tablesaw with both top and bottom collection, especially if there is any flexhose.

Steve

Tim Marks
04-08-2005, 7:01 PM
A brand new 1.5 Hp Oneida costs 791.00 USD with dust bin and mounting bracket for the internal filter. External filter runs 926 USD complete. Plus tax. Right now shipping is free.

Oneida's site specifically says systems (ie. cyclones) are excepted from the free shipping. Here is the quote:

http://store.oneida-air.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/shipping.jpg

Jim Becker
04-08-2005, 7:14 PM
Tim, talk to an Oneida rep. There may be a special shipping deal right now...