PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Susan Bearing: Cantilever application?

Jim C Martin
07-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Hello All:
I have a question for those of you who have worked with heavy duty Lazy Susan bearings. I need to build a table sort of like a hospital bed table. But for mine the base would be fixed and the table would rotate out of the way. It would hold a keyboard and maybe a flat screen monitor. Figure less than 100 lbs cantilevered about 18" from the center of the Lazy Susan bearing. Anyone know how well a heavy duty Lazy Susan bearing will work in an application like this? Here is one from a quick Amazon search:
http://www.amazon.com/500mm-Aluminum-Bearing-Turntable-Bearings/dp/B0045E0GWY/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1342537514&sr=8-15&keywords=lazy+susan+bearing
Edit: I guess the key question is whether certain types of Lazy Susan bearings will handle tension because for a cantilever one side is in tension and one is in compression.
Edit #2: Just got off the phone with tech support at Woodcraft. The guy recommended a bar stool swivel bearing.
Any advice or feedback appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Lee Schierer
07-17-2012, 4:51 PM
I don't think a lazy susan bearing is going to work for you. The are made to hold compressive loads not cantilever loads. I used on for the front pivot on a child's wagon and it failed after just a few uses. I was able to use two thrust bearings and a bolt and lock nut arrangement on the wagon.

Larry Edgerton
07-18-2012, 7:19 AM
I have used automotive front hub assemblies for that kind of thing, but I am prone to overkill. They are cheap and never fail. Some fabrication is required.

Larry

Jim Matthews
07-18-2012, 7:51 AM
Inline skate wheels come with durable bearings that resist shear.

Sam Murdoch
07-18-2012, 8:43 AM
Perhaps one of these might work - can't really picture your set up but these pull out and swivel with good weight capacity -http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/455885732/TV_Pull_Out_Swivels_with_heavy.html
There are other sources for these type of pullouts than the one I show.