PDA

View Full Version : This was supposed to be for parts...

steven c newman
07-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Bought a bare bones plane, just for parts237058Got bored waiting for other parts to show up, so I slipped some spare parts on this little #4237059and tried things out on some edge grain Poplar237060 Hmmmm, maybe if i strip them handles to bare wood, and de-rust everything? 237061 put the spare parts back on the plane237062237063and try it out, again?237064So much for it being just a parts plane, NOW I'll have to go buy another "parts plane' to replace this one. Question: Seems to be a lot of Sargent to this one. What exactly DO i have here, besides a nice user plane???:confused:

Jim Koepke
07-17-2012, 12:38 PM
One of my best planes was bought for parts. It wasn't as bad as the pictures made it look. Ended up selling the plane the parts were bought to improve.

jtk

Archie England
07-17-2012, 12:52 PM
At first glance (yeah, beyond the ugly) I thought this was either a post ww2 MFs or one made by MF for Sears. The red frog screamed "MF" but Sears Craftsman used it often, as well. However, the sole design looks either like a Hercules 1400 series Sargent more than MF; and, MF used the flat-faced frog much longer than Sargent. So, I'm guessing (literally) that it's a Sargent made-for-_____ hand plane. Nice rehab. Perhaps a thicker blade will add even thinner shavings and more stability in the cut.

Lonnie Gallaher
07-17-2012, 12:53 PM
It is an 1104 Victor by Stanley plane. I was just given an 1105 Victor. They were made in the late 1930's and again in 1952-53.

Joshua Byrd
07-19-2012, 1:54 PM
At first glance (yeah, beyond the ugly) I thought this was either a post ww2 MFs or one made by MF for Sears. The red frog screamed "MF" but Sears Craftsman used it often, as well. However, the sole design looks either like a Hercules 1400 series Sargent more than MF; and, MF used the flat-faced frog much longer than Sargent. So, I'm guessing (literally) that it's a Sargent made-for-_____ hand plane. Nice rehab. Perhaps a thicker blade will add even thinner shavings and more stability in the cut.

Lateral adjuster and depth adjustment knob are the two immediate giveaways. Save for the Buck Rogers-planes, those two things just never changed for MF. Correction, the knob changed (from having a milled depression to being a solid, unmilled piece), but the knurling was always the thin, single band. Never any fat, wide adjusters or any with grooves in the knurling (such as the above plane).

Lonnie Gallaher
07-20-2012, 11:08 PM
I am going to try to upload some pictures of my Victor 1105 plane. Well that worked. Here it is a Victor by Stanley #1105 plane. The body is gray, the frog and chip breaker is red. Thank you Tony for the plane that was your grandfather's.

Joe Bailey
07-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Here are a few pics of an 1103 I picked up about a year ago, at a garage sale ($5.00)

steven c newman
07-22-2012, 1:16 PM
That seems to be the trouble with getting a plane for parts. Hard to tell who made it, without any name being cast on something on the plane. Mine came without an iron, chipbreaker, or lever cap. There is a "U" cast into the Red frog. Now, it has a Stanley chipbreaker, a Buck Brothers 2" wide iron, and a Sargent lever cap. Works for me.

Lonnie Gallaher
07-23-2012, 12:44 PM
More information on the Victor by Stanley.

I have a type 19 #5 Stanley. When I put both planes side by side they obviously came down the same assembly line. The 1105 and #5 type 19 bodies are identical except for the Bailey and #5 casting marks of the #5 and the 1105 is not drilled for the frog adjustment screw. The frogs are also the same casting. The #5 has the "U" cast in the center at the top as shown in the above pictures. The #5 also has a "5" cast in the top of the frog where there is a "7" shown in the pictures of my 1105. The differences in the frogs are the lateral adjuster is "U" shaped on the 1105, the depth adjuster is smaller, and it is not drilled for the frog adjustment screw. The 1105 plane in every way is a type 19 Bailey except for the wimpy looking lateral adjuster and the absence of the frog adjusting screw.

Question for Joe Bailey. (I assume there is no relation to "The Bailey". The question. Was you 1103 black originally or did you paint it in the cleanup process?

Joe Bailey
08-17-2012, 6:27 PM
Sorry I took so long to catch up with this post.
That plane was in that condition when found. No restoration done or necessary.