PDA

View Full Version : It won't Budge - Now What???

Glen Blanchard
04-07-2005, 11:00 PM
My Jet cabinet saw arrived today, and I am in the process of putting it together. Having one problem though. The power switch attaches to a bracket which in turn attaches to one of the four hex bolts that, when loosensed, allows for the table to be adjusted to parallel it to the blade. Well I don't need to adjust parallelism (I haven't gotten that far yet) but I do need to mount that bracket. Problem is the allen bolt won't budge - I mean that thing is on there good. I tried tapping on the allen wrench with a hammer to no avail. I am open to suggestions. :confused:

Thanks in advance. Just curious - anyone else experience this?

Jerry Clark
04-07-2005, 11:11 PM
I would try a piece of tubing over the allen wrench to add some leverage.

Cecil Arnold
04-07-2005, 11:58 PM
I've put two Jet cabnet saws together and don't remember having to loosen the hex bolt to swing the switch around and attach it. I'll check my saw in the morning to be sure.

I was wrong, must have slept too many times since I put them together. Sorry about that.

Kelly C. Hanna
04-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Go to your FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store) and get a can of PB Blaster. Soak the allen bolts 2-4 times over the span of say 45 minutes to an hour. Then try again with more leverage like Jerry said. It will come off if it's not galled.

Dave Falkenstein
04-08-2005, 12:57 AM
I looked at my saw. Yes, that's where the bracket is attached that supports the switch. The other l-shaped switch bracket mounts on a fence rail bolt. I put mine together a few years ago, and had no problem that I remember. Leverage should allow you to loosen the allen bolt. If all else fails, call Jet and ask them for their advice.

Norman Hitt
04-08-2005, 2:11 AM
My Jet cabinet saw arrived today, and I am in the process of putting it together. Having one problem though. The power switch attaches to a bracket which in turn attaches to one of the four hex bolts that, when loosensed, allows for the table to be adjusted to parallel it to the blade. Well I don't need to adjust parallelism (I haven't gotten that far yet) but I do need to mount that bracket. Problem is the allen bolt won't budge - I mean that thing is on there good. I tried tapping on the allen wrench with a hammer to no avail. I am open to suggestions. :confused:

Thanks in advance. Just curious - anyone else experience this?

Glen, "IF" you have room enough to get to the Allen Bolts to place a round drift pin punch, (small enough that it doesn't round off the hex sides), then rap the punch solidly two or three times, as if you were trying to drive the bolt further into the hole. then try to unscrew it with the allen wrench again. I've had success with this method Many Times over the years to loosen bolts that would otherwise have rounded off the inside of the allen head bolt, or the wrench itself, or worse yet twisted the bolt off. You may have to perform this procedure more than once to get them loose, but it's worth a try.

Jim Knauss
04-08-2005, 5:24 AM
Try using a allen socket with a rachet if you have or can borrow one. It will help keep from stripping the allen. Also make sure there is no lock nut on the backside of it. If all else fails I take a hand impact tool, put the socket on it and hit it with a hammer while twisting.
Hope this helps

Jim

Dean Baumgartner
04-08-2005, 3:18 PM
The other thing that you might try is either an air or electric impact driver with an appropriate allen wrench. If nothing else will work put on a socket that holds a straight piece of the allen wrench and do it that way. The multiple blows from an impact driver will loosen up the most stubborn fasteners.

Dean

Greg Mann
04-08-2005, 5:45 PM
Any luck yet, Glen?

Ernie Nyvall
04-08-2005, 6:29 PM
I've done he same thing Norman mentioned and it's worked. Also, using an L shaped allen wrench, tapping it into the hole while turning. It works kinda like a air ratchet wrench.

Ernie

Harry Goodwin
04-08-2005, 7:12 PM
I know putting heat o n a bolt will loosen it but be careful it may damage paint finish. One of those butane torches would do like sodering (SPELL) iron. Maybe even a soldering iron. That would hurt anything nd not break bolt.

Glen Blanchard
04-08-2005, 7:40 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. The problem is no more. I went and bought a hex set for my socket wrench and bought a new wrench too - one with an extendable handle to increase leverage. Worked like a charm. My power panel is installed. In fact I am just about done with the set-up. Tomorrow morning will make a few zero-clearance inserts and get my TS aligner Jr. out to tune this puppy. Hope to be making sawdust by noon.

Thanks again.