PDA

View Full Version : Factory Refurbished Equipment (Husqavarna Chainsaw)

Tim Boger
07-16-2012, 2:31 PM
How do you folks feel about refurbished power tools?

I have a thread running now asking opinions of chainsaw manufactures and sure got a bunch of great feedback. The choice was between Husqvarna or Stihl and I'm leaning towards the Husky.

I've found a online retailer that sells Husqvarna saws refurbished at the factory, they offer a 90 day warranty as compared to 2 yrs P&L when bought new. They told me on the phone this morning that they'll accept it back for any reason within 30 days from purchase with the return shipping on them as well as the shipping to replace it if there is a problem. Also, any authorized repair facility will perform warranty work with the 90 days.

The model I'm considering is the 455 Rancher 56CC with the 20" bar, price looks to be $270.00 shipped. New they sell for $400 +

What do ya think?

Thank you!
Tim

ray hampton
07-16-2012, 5:19 PM
consider the 90 days guarantee, I would try to get as much work with the saw done before the 90 days are up

Tim Boger
07-16-2012, 6:12 PM
consider the 90 days guarantee, I would try to get as much work with the saw done before the 90 days are up

Hey Ray .... I understand, that's really the only consideration that bugs me a bit.

Chances are that it will be just fine.

Thanks for your feedback.
Tim

Rod Sheridan
07-16-2012, 6:27 PM
The nice thing about a refurbished machine is that it may have been inspected, tested and repaired by a more qualified technician than new equipment.

That's how we did it when I was in manufacturing, the production line went through all the tests of course, we just had junior people on it.

The repair/refurbish stuff went through a different department and had senior people look at the product.

I've had excellent service from refurbished equipment...............Although I do like Stihl more than Husky................Rod.

Tim Boger
07-16-2012, 6:38 PM
The nice thing about a refurbished machine is that it may have been inspected, tested and repaired by a more qualified technician than new equipment.

That's how we did it when I was in manufacturing, the production line went through all the tests of course, we just had junior people on it.

The repair/refurbish stuff went through a different department and had senior people look at the product.

I've had excellent service from refurbished equipment...............Although I do like Stihl more than Husky................Rod.

Hi Rod,

Very interesting info, I had never considered that angle .... makes sense.

I can't remember the last time I took a small engine tool to a service center for repair, warranty or otherwise.

Thanks,
Tim

Bruce Volden
07-16-2012, 6:40 PM
Tim,

I have the exact same model---what a work horse!! The only problems I have had are, the "kill" switch wire will often fall off and I've had to tweak it to work properly. Also it leaks bar oil for what ever reason???? I will still take this over CONSTANTLY having to adjust the carburetor when the temp's vary in my Stihl chainsaw!!!!! Man I hate that saw--yes it has been to the "dealer" and was gone 'thru. To compensate for the bar oil leaking I simply equalize the pressure by opening the reservoir. Also I like the decompression thingy that makes it easy to start.

Bruce

Tim Boger
07-16-2012, 9:17 PM
Tim,

I have the exact same model---what a work horse!! The only problems I have had are, the "kill" switch wire will often fall off and I've had to tweak it to work properly. Also it leaks bar oil for what ever reason???? I will still take this over CONSTANTLY having to adjust the carburetor when the temp's vary in my Stihl chainsaw!!!!! Man I hate that saw--yes it has been to the "dealer" and was gone 'thru. To compensate for the bar oil leaking I simply equalize the pressure by opening the reservoir. Also I like the decompression thingy that makes it easy to start.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I've heard about the chain oil leaking, I can't imagine there is not a fix for that.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Husky ...... I have a Poulan Pro now that is easy to start when cold but super finicky when hot, more often than not it seems like I end up flooding it and I have to park it. Sure have had a bunch of trouble with it.

Tim

Sam Murdoch
07-16-2012, 10:22 PM
You can almost buy 2 for the price of one. I would not hesitate. These are great saws. I have had no maintenance issues on my Husky 350 bought in 2007 and with at least 200 hours. I'm not full time cutting in the woods but I spend lots of long weekends clearing my "park". I have been very happy with the Husqvarna - otherwise I have purchased quite a few factory reconditioned tools in my day and those were all good experiences too.

Gary Hodgin
07-16-2012, 10:41 PM
I've used a refurbished a 3.25 hp, fixed base, P-G router for five or years years with no problems. I'm not a heavy user though. I also have a refurbished pressure washer that's worked well the 3 years I've owned it. Like the router, it doesn't get used a lot.

Greg Portland
07-18-2012, 1:23 PM
How do you folks feel about refurbished power tools?

I have a thread running now asking opinions of chainsaw manufactures and sure got a bunch of great feedback. The choice was between Husqvarna or Stihl and I'm leaning towards the Husky.

I've found a online retailer that sells Husqvarna saws refurbished at the factory, they offer a 90 day warranty as compared to 2 yrs P&L when bought new. They told me on the phone this morning that they'll accept it back for any reason within 30 days from purchase with the return shipping on them as well as the shipping to replace it if there is a problem. Also, any authorized repair facility will perform warranty work with the 90 days.

The model I'm considering is the 455 Rancher 56CC with the 20" bar, price looks to be $270.00 shipped. New they sell for $400 +

What do ya think?

Thank you!
Tim
A lot of this refurb equipment is bought new, used once or twice, and then returned to the dealer in perfect working condition (user needed to cut down a tree on their suburban property, etc.). I've never had any problems with factory refurb equipment. Make sure that it includes all the original accessories and parts; if not, the service center should be able to ship them to you.

Looking @ online reviews of the refurb Husky equipment, it looks like the chain may NOT be new (i.e. stretched out) and the bar may be painted in primer gray to denote "refurb". It looks like a new chain is about $30 or so?

Tim Boger
07-20-2012, 9:36 PM
Hey Greg,

I did receive the Husqvarna 455 Rancher today, cosmetically it is very near show room condition. The chain is quite sharp, I can't tell it it's been used although I figure it must have been. I haven't been able to start it yet, I want to get some premium fuel.

So far, so good.

Tim

Larry Edgerton
07-22-2012, 7:45 AM
I bought one of those when I was working out of town and needed one "now". I intended on keeping it but it leaked the whole oil tank into the bed of my truck overnight, so I took it back. It cut one tree. So maybe you have mine?

Saw cut fine and handled well. I have a Husky 346XP, 357XP, and a 372XP with a big bore kit, so in case you can't tell, I like Husky.

Larry

Kevin Bourque
07-22-2012, 9:31 AM
Why are there so many of these chainsaws being refurbished in the first place? Sounds fishy to me.

Jim O'Dell
07-22-2012, 10:48 AM
We lost 40% of a tree in the front yard Friday night with a little TS cell that went over us. Nothing big, but down it came. I had ruined my hand-me-down Poulan electric on the Willow tree earlier in the spring, so had to go get a new unit yesterday am. I got the Husky 445 with the 16" bar. Some online stores say it's 18", but the box says 16. Maybe the 445E is the same unit with the 18" bar. Man, what a chainsaw! I've got an old Mac that I can't get to run without continually pumping the primer bulb, even after going through the carb twice. I got mine from Tractor Supply. Couldn't be happier. Jim.