PDA

View Full Version : Arachnophobia

Jeff Myroup
07-16-2012, 1:22 PM
I went out to the shop to do some turning and found this guy on my bowl ;)

Steve Busey
07-16-2012, 1:53 PM
What picture are you gonna burn on that one?
"Black Widow" sounds like a great name for the end result!

Jeff Myroup
07-16-2012, 1:59 PM
Steve, that is burned on there. The name of the piece is "Arachnophobia". I did it to honor my best friend who is a big time hunter, but used to get my 4 year old daughter to kill the spiders in the back of his truck.

Jon Prouty
07-16-2012, 2:12 PM
That is great - freaky but very well done. Had me convinced.

Jon

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-16-2012, 2:26 PM
Come on, Jeff. Are you kidding about the little guy being burned in. You do more with a pyro tool that many artists can do with paint. He looks 3 dimensional. Great talent.
faust

Jim Burr
07-16-2012, 2:31 PM
I waited to read the other posts before I was duped!! That relief work is nothing short of perfect Jeff. If it was real, you could send it to me and I'd cast a bottle stopper for you!! But since it's fake...well...;)

Jeff Myroup
07-16-2012, 2:52 PM
Thanks guys. I had a lot of fun with this. It freaked out my buddy when I texted him the picture. I might take this one to TOC as well. Just hope no one smashes it ;)

Tim Rinehart
07-16-2012, 2:56 PM
Jeff...you're a talented artist with that burner. A bit twisted I think...but talented nonetheless. Had me duped!

Deane Allinson
07-16-2012, 3:00 PM
You have something very very good there. There are endless scenarios to this theme. Well done.
Deane

Jeff Myroup
07-16-2012, 3:14 PM
Thanks Deane. I have a few ideas that I want to pursue.

Thanks Tim. I can assure you, I more than a "little twisted". :D

curtis rosche
07-16-2012, 3:27 PM
Totally thought that was real till I realized the size of it' (they dont ever grow that big do they?). Maybe you should do some other "trick" pieces similar to the box of money in the carving forum. That is incredible work on the spider.

Steve Busey
07-16-2012, 3:43 PM
Great job - the leg shadows really threw me off! <Bowing to the master...>

Jeff Myroup
07-16-2012, 3:44 PM
Thanks Curtis. I think they are rather small. I have never seen a real one and really don't want to. I am still cultivating ideas for my 3D burning. The leaf and this spider are mostly practice pieces. Since I am relatively new to drawing and realistic burning, I still have a lot to learn. On a different note, The box of money is unreal :eek:

Prashun Patel
07-16-2012, 4:01 PM
Had me fooled. It's the shadows under the legs that do it. I had to read all the posts to realize it was not real.
Oh yeah, beautiful bowl too!

curtis rosche
07-16-2012, 4:17 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to make something appear to be ther thats not,,, not like the spider, but more along the lines of a handle or something someone would actually reach out and try to grab.

Steve bellinger
07-16-2012, 4:39 PM
I knew there was something wrong with that thing. Just coun't put my finger on it. We have them all over down here and i've killed more than my fair share, so didn't know what it was.Was thinking that yours looked a little different than ours,but different parts of the country,might grow them different.Great job by the way as you had me fooled.O and i think if i'm thinking right, that the black widow female looks like that. The male is just a ugly little brown spider.

Donny Lawson
07-16-2012, 5:30 PM
Wow. That is some good work. I would have thought it was real. I wish I could burn like that. By the way what kind of burner do you have? Mine is the Burnmaster.

Jeff Myroup
07-16-2012, 5:49 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to make something appear to be ther thats not,,, not like the spider, but more along the lines of a handle or something someone would actually reach out and try to grab.

I am sure something like that could be done. It would really depend on the vessel you wanted to burn it on.

Jeff Myroup
07-16-2012, 5:51 PM
I knew there was something wrong with that thing. Just coun't put my finger on it. We have them all over down here and i've killed more than my fair share, so didn't know what it was.Was thinking that yours looked a little different than ours,but different parts of the country,might grow them different.Great job by the way as you had me fooled.O and i think if i'm thinking right, that the black widow female looks like that. The male is just a ugly little brown spider.

The Northern and Southern Black widow are different and the markings are not exactly the same.

Jeff Myroup
07-16-2012, 5:53 PM
Wow. That is some good work. I would have thought it was real. I wish I could burn like that. By the way what kind of burner do you have? Mine is the Burnmaster.

Thanks Donny. I used my Burnmaster with a spear point shader for this project. You can burn like this, it just takes low heat and practice.

Scott Lux
07-16-2012, 5:57 PM
You need to burn that spider into the inside of a lid for a small box. :D
Beautiful work on that one. Personally, I like spiders.

Jeff Myroup
07-16-2012, 6:12 PM
Thanks Scott. I like the box idea. I think I will do that on the next one I make.

Bob Bergstrom
07-16-2012, 7:56 PM
Hope no one breaks their display monitor trying to squash that "BIG SPIDER"? Great job of fooling the eye.

James Combs
07-16-2012, 8:15 PM
One wore: Fantastic!!

Roger Chandler
07-16-2012, 8:53 PM
Jeff..........that is so cool! I concur with Steve B. the leg shadows are what gives this a 3-D effect.........makes it look like that thing is alive! :eek::D

Josh Bowman
07-16-2012, 9:16 PM
Jeff, that's great.......but for the Missouri folks, could you give us a side shot? My wife and I both thought it was real.

Steve Vaughan
07-16-2012, 9:27 PM
Yup, me too. I thought it was the real deal! Really fine looking!

Baxter Smith
07-16-2012, 10:31 PM
The only giveaway to this one not being real was the person that posted it.:) Great job!

Kathy Marshall
07-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Great job on the creepy crawly! Great 3-D effect and I agree that the shadows from the legs really make it look alive.

Marc Himes
07-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Add me to the list of been fooled and really admire your work.

Michelle Rich
07-17-2012, 6:53 AM
The spider was looking for my window art piece, entitled SPIDER!! he just went to the wrong turner's house!!! :-)

Jeff Myroup
07-17-2012, 1:21 PM
Thanks everyone. I really like this spider and it totally fooled my wife my I texted the picture to her at work.:D

Doug W Swanson
07-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Wow, that is great! I think a good follow-up would be to have a matching plate with the spider squished on it!

Rick Markham
07-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Too Cool Jeff! There are quite a few black widows around here... the big ones are the females. Not the kind of lady you want to mess with ;) Awesome work!!! Under the lid of a box would be a smashing idea :D

Van Huskey
07-18-2012, 1:47 AM
Very, very cool!

Jay Maiers
07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Outstanding!

Jeff Myroup
07-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone. I find it funny that the simplest of my burnings has received the most comments, not only on here but at the Windy City meeting last night. I guess I will have to start a creepy crawly series. :D