PDA

View Full Version : Delta Unisaw CL Find - Up in the air....

Justin Jump
07-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Hello all, need some advice....

I found this:

pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/3135285059.html pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/3135285059

Offered $800 and the Seller accepted, however, there is no way to test it to make sure it runs. The Seller agreed that if I got it home, and it did not run, he would refund my money.

Also, cast iron top looks rough - are they easy to clean up?

Any other advice on this model is greatly appreciated....

THX

David Kumm
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Green scotchbrite pad and the top will look like new. Anything wrong with a machine that looks that good should be an easy fix so don't worry too much. i like the old unifence. Dave

Cary Falk
07-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Looks like a little surface rust. A green scotchbrite pad with WD40 or mineral spirits for lube.

Charles Lent
07-16-2012, 11:58 AM
I agree. If the top isn't rust pitted it will clean up fairly easily. That looks like a fairly new Unisaw and the 54" Unifence is great. Even without the fence, router table and the mobile base, that would still be a great find for that price. Take some Scotch Brite with you, but even with small pitting, that's a good deal, unless it has been totally under water. It's quite unlikely that there is nothing else wrong with it besides the rusted top, but check for any significant rust inside and evidence that it has been under water (even check the area where it is located for this and open the motor cover if you suspect flooding) before you pay for it. Cast iron tops will get this way very quickly in a basement atmosphere if not kept waxed.

Charley

brian c miller
07-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Good find... We are thinking about moving to Pittsburgh and instead or moving my Uni saw I has thought about selling ti and getting that one when I got there.

I'd use a little evaporust on a towel and go from there. Green or maybe red Scotch bright and you're good to go.

Larry Fox
07-16-2012, 3:28 PM
For that price that is a very good find. I agree with others on the top - a little work, Scotch Brite and MS and that thing will shine like new. One think though, first thing you should do is to take that blade guard and combo off and throw it into the trash. Before running a single piece of wood through it get yourself either a Biesemeyer splitter or SharkGuard.

Very nice saw - I have on just about like it and love it.

Sam Layton
07-16-2012, 4:40 PM
Justin,

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a Delta shaper from Craigs List. It was in storage, and there was no 220 available to try it out. The owner suggested that he deliver it so I could try it out at my shop, and if I did not like it he would take it back home. He delivered it, and all was good. It now resides in my shop.

If the guy won't deliver it, you could have him follow you to your shop, and try it out before you pay him.

Sam

Joseph Tarantino
07-16-2012, 4:51 PM
Hello all, need some advice....

I found this:

pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/3135285059.html pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/3135285059

Offered $800 and the Seller accepted, however, there is no way to test it to make sure it runs. The Seller agreed that if I got it home, and it did not run, he would refund my money.

Also, cast iron top looks rough - are they easy to clean up?

Any other advice on this model is greatly appreciated....

THX

is the saw worth $1200? if it is, then it might be worth the risk of not testing it. a new leeson 3hp motor that is unisaw compliant goes for ~$365. $800+365= ~$1200. offer him $400 cash and $400 if the motor starts when u get it home. trusting him to return $800 cash if it doesn't run isn't a gamble i'd make. otherwise, it's a good price on a left tilt unisaw that's in good shape. the top will easily clean up a number of ways. only downside is no riving knife.

Bill Whig
07-17-2012, 5:28 AM
One only rarely get to test machinery at auctions too. It looks quite attractive to me, especially with the mobile base. If there is a reasonable story about why you can't test it, then it probably holds water--the story, that is. If the saw was here in Indiana, I think I'd be looking for a way to move it to my home. Good luck! I hope you'll share how to the story ends! As someone suggested above, plan to spend the $125-150 for a splitter.

Is that a standard size opening for a router plate, or would the owner need to cut one to fit out of acrylic (or something)?

Bill Whig

Myk Rian
07-17-2012, 8:11 AM
It's been a full day, and the ad is still there.
Are you getting it, or still on the fence?

Justin Jump
07-17-2012, 8:15 AM
@ Sam and others - the owner agreed to let me take the saw, and pay him after I made sure it worked.

@ Bill - not sure about the router plate, I just keep telling myself that's a little freebie.

@ All - The Seller just got back to me and told me he has a jointer, planer, drill press, etc, that he's interestd in making a "package" deal. Gonne see what he has first.....

Barry Mabery
07-17-2012, 9:03 AM
@ Sam and others - the owner agreed to let me take the saw, and pay him after I made sure it worked..

Justin, you can't ask for much more than that. Unless the saw has something broken (trunnion, etc.) that sounds like a fair price to me. I paid $400 for a 1985 w/1.5HP motor 2 years ago. No 240V available so I gave the motor the sniff test - it passed. A little less table rust than yours, which cleaned up quickly via green Scotchbrite and lube. I later picked up a used 3HP Uni motor that I haven't yet changed the bearings on and haven't installed because the 1.5 is enough for my present needs. I also added a used Unifence for $100. So I've invested $630 in mine, which doesn't include the extension table and mobile base OR the router set up. In my estimation, the number for the saw is fair, not a "You Suck" price, but still very good.

David Hostetler
07-17-2012, 10:49 AM
That looks to be a reasonably newish unisaw. The rust looks like fairly light surface rust. Scotch Brite and WD40 combined with a little elbow grease and it should be good as new....

Matt Jutte
07-17-2012, 4:25 PM
Another option is see if you can get a 4 hour rental for a generator that would allow you to test it on site before loading it and taking the risk with the money transactions.

Ronald Blue
07-17-2012, 8:48 PM
Sounds like a decent deal to me. For anyone it might benefit there is a supposedly new 3 hp motor for a unisaw on the St Louis CL for $200. Hope it might benefit someone.

David Kumm
07-17-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm surprised at how much concern there is for the motor. I've bought dozens of machines dating from the 1920's on up and have run into one questionable motor. Even that is an easy fix compared to how quickly costs add up if the fences, guards, belts and bearings. In my world that looks way too new for me to worry too much. i guess you have to see what some of my stuff looked like when bought. I'm not a unisaw fan and I still think it is a good deal. Dave

Carl Beckett
07-18-2012, 7:51 AM
I'm surprised at how much concern there is for the motor. I've bought dozens of machines dating from the 1920's on up and have run into one questionable motor. Even that is an easy fix compared to how quickly costs add up if the fences, guards, belts and bearings. In my world that looks way too new for me to worry too much. i guess you have to see what some of my stuff looked like when bought. I'm not a unisaw fan and I still think it is a good deal. Dave

My experience as well

Myk Rian
07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm surprised at how much concern there is for the motor.
The nose works well for testing that.