PDA

View Full Version : Source for Maple or Cherry beadboard plywood

keith micinski
07-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I have a big bookcase job going up and need to get beadboard plywood for the backs. I am looking for either Maple or Cherry breadboard plywood. Does anyone know where I can source any in northern Indiana or possibly off the internet? I have tried a few of my local specialty lumber yards and can only get it in birch and oak.

Keith Hankins
07-16-2012, 8:38 PM
Spring a bit for the router bits and get some 1/2" stock and make it. It is a short process looks a hell of a lot better than plywood. If you have a router table its nothing to do. You decide on how wide the planks are. Here is a link to the set, and a pic of the result.

http://www.infinitytools.com/3-pc-Wainscot-Paneling-Router-Bit-Set-5_8-3_4-Stock/productinfo/00-510/

Here is a pic of the final product. I also have a few pics of the scketchup model I did prior to cutting the pieces. Once you set up and get going it takes no time to knock them out. The comments I get of that little bit of effort .vs. what plywood would get is dramatic.

http://flic.kr/p/bGzEDg

keith micinski
07-16-2012, 9:59 PM
If this was a piece for me and money and time weren't a consideration I would do that. Unfortunately it's not so plywood bead board is probably all the budget will hold. These bookcase are going to be pretty full so the bead board isn't going to stand out as much as it does in that piece of yours which does look really good.

Mark Rakestraw
07-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a big bookcase job going up and need to get beadboard plywood for the backs. I am looking for either Maple or Cherry breadboard plywood. Does anyone know where I can source any in northern Indiana or possibly off the internet? I have tried a few of my local specialty lumber yards and can only get it in birch and oak.

I'm with Keith on this....you'll have to make it. I imagine that even if you could find cherry beadboard the price would be more than you'd have in making it out of real wood.

keith micinski
07-17-2012, 1:26 PM
Well I might be switching to maple and birch then.

Mark Rakestraw
07-17-2012, 1:36 PM
If it really doesn't show very much you may be able to stain the maple or birch to match the cherry. I'm not good at that but there seems to be people who can pull it off. Good luck.

frank shic
07-17-2012, 2:00 PM
omg that's a lot of steps and a lot of staves to have to rout!

Bill Edwards(2)
07-17-2012, 2:53 PM

Call the Work bench in South Bend. They always talk about getting almost anything.

http://www.theworkbench.com/contact.php

Keith Hankins
07-17-2012, 7:29 PM
Not really, you set it up run as a production run. I did the back of a pie safe linked in less than an hour cut time, and and about an hour to set up and cut the test run. 2 hrs and you have a bit set you can use over and over. My boards were about 6" wide when I started I believe. Now if you don't have a router table I'd agree.

keith micinski
07-17-2012, 8:04 PM
Unfortunately Johnson's didn't have any and couldn't get it. My biggest problem with making individual pieces is that I have to go to the sawmill and pick it all up. 2:30 hours Then he only makes 4/4 so I have to dimension all that wood down. 6 hours. Then I finally get to start making bead board another 4 hours. I am farming out the staining and finishing on these so I am going to use the birch beadboard and maple for the face frames.