PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee M12, 3/8" Lithium-Ion drill 2410-22

Bill Huber
07-16-2012, 10:01 AM
I have been using a Dewalt 14.4 drill for many years, I use it mostly anymore drilling wood. I use it most for dowel holes, as most of you know I am a dowel freak and use them for everything.

The Dewalt has been a good drill but it is a little heavy, right at 5 lb., that is not a lot except when you are drilling a bunch of holes and then it gets a little heavy. The battery life is not bad and I have 2 batteries so it gets the job done.

I got a bee in my bonnet and decided I needed a new drill, looking at what I use it for the most I got the Milwaukee M12, 3/8". I have some other M12 tools so I have batteries.

I am very happy with this little drill, it has all the power of the Dewalt, 275 in-lb. of torque, 2 speeds , 0-400 and 0-1500. The drill is light, it is only 2.6 lb. and the balance is very good. It is a key-less chuck and works very well, better then any key-less chuck I have used, but then I have only use 3 or 4 different ones. It has 20 ratchet settings and one no ratchet drill setting.

It has a battery gauge which is really nice and an LED to light where you are drilling. I am sure the battery will not last as long as the big 14.4 battery but the lightness of it is so nice.

I drilled 40, 3/8"x1" holes in red oak and then drilled 5, 1"x3/4" holes with a forstner bit in red oak and still had 2 out of 5 LEDs on the battery gauge.

Will it work as a job site drill for a contractor, I am not sure but as a drill in the shop it is great, no cords to mess with and it is light and does a great job. With the 30 min. charger that comes with it I don't think you would have a battery problem in most drilling operations.

Michael W. Clark
07-16-2012, 6:10 PM
Hi Bill,
I think Milwaukee has some good drills out now. I have the M18 version of the one above. The handle and battery are different, of course, but everything from the trigger up looks similar. I really like it. We used the M18 in an industrial setting and I've seen other industrial contractors with them too. I'm sure the M12 will be a great addition to your shop.

Mike

Bruce Page
07-16-2012, 6:24 PM
Thanks Bill, I'll keep this in mind. I also have a Dewalt 14.4 drill and it does get heavy after a while.

Matt Meiser
07-16-2012, 7:03 PM
I have a friend who's had several of those batteries die prematurely. He loves the tools but the batteries have been problematic. The high capacity batteries seem to be better for him.

If you are less concerned about price than ability, take a look at the Festool CXS. Awesome small drill!

Paul Wunder
07-16-2012, 8:04 PM
+1 Bill, for the same reasons. It is well made, has lots of power and very easy to use overhead. Love the light and the power indicator

Plus Milwaukee had a rebate when I bought the kit on Amazon. I got a free Milwaukee 3/8" 90 degree angle drill/driver (sells for $90) from Milwaukee.

Bill Huber
07-16-2012, 9:53 PM
I have a friend who's had several of those batteries die prematurely. He loves the tools but the batteries have been problematic. The high capacity batteries seem to be better for him.

If you are less concerned about price than ability, take a look at the Festool CXS. Awesome small drill!

The first M-12 I got came with 2 batteries and within about 2 months of use they both went south, after a few emails to Milwaukee I got 2 new batteries. I was thinking maybe I should be looking at a different brand then I got a great deal on the impact driver and got it. I have not had another battery go bad, I wonder if there was a problem with a group of them at the start.

Keith Outten
07-17-2012, 9:53 PM
Bill,

We purchased two of the M12 drills and two of the hammer drills for the sign shop at CNU. Over the last month we have been beating all four drills to death every day installing over four hundred signs in a monster dormitory with masonry walls. So far they have been great, the battery charges are lasting about a day and a half.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-17-2012, 10:16 PM
I just bought the right-angle version of this and it worked well.

Dan Rude
07-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Bill, I would consider buying the High Capacity M12 batteries. Keep an eye out for when they go on special for about $36 which is the same price as the smaller ones. I started with the little driver and then picked up the Impact, Drill and Multi-tool box set at the Orange big box over Christmas. The high capacity batteries just seem to keep going. I now have the Hacksaw and got the free right angle drill earlier this year.

Rick Potter
07-18-2012, 2:28 AM
Dan,

Is the hacksaw any good? I have been told it is underpowered. It is just about the only M12 tool I don't have.

Rick Potter

Bill Huber
07-18-2012, 7:52 AM
Bill, I would consider buying the High Capacity M12 batteries. Keep an eye out for when they go on special for about $36 which is the same price as the smaller ones. I started with the little driver and then picked up the Impact, Drill and Multi-tool box set at the Orange big box over Christmas. The high capacity batteries just seem to keep going. I now have the Hacksaw and got the free right angle drill earlier this year.

I have a High Cap battery, I got it to use with the multi-tool when sanding, that is what I use it for the most. I do agree that battery sure last a lot longer then the normal one.

I have the hack saw, it is not a sawsall but it does a good job for small projects now and then. I even used it to do some tree trimming and it worked out fine for that.

The impact driver is my go to for screws, I just never knew how much better it was then a drill, I have not snapped off a screw with it and I did when I was using a drill.

Steve Meliza
07-18-2012, 11:05 AM
I've got this drill and am very happy with it. I've not had any trouble with the batteries so maybe that was an isolated incident. One issue that has recently started is that the speed selector switch pops into neutral if I don't hold it in gear with a free finger. The Milwaukee warranty is 5 years from purchase (if you have your receipt) or 5 years from date of manufacture (if you don't have your receipt) so I'm not worried or in a hurry to get it fixed till I'm between projects and can be without it for a few weeks.

Mike Tekin
07-18-2012, 1:23 PM
Rick,

I had the hacksaw and yes, I thought it was underpowered. I either grabbed my jigsaw or moved up to the sawzall because I just got frustrated. The hacksaw works well in light duty materials, though such as drywall.

Other than that, the entire M12 line is quality stuff - they just work well

Dan Rude
07-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Rick,
As the others said it is a bit underpowered, that being said I love it for cutting those little trees that grow like weeds around here in the yard. I also liked it for cutting out some firing strips on my basement ceiling the previous owner used to put up one of those staple up ceilings. I also used it to cut up some old paneling I had to stuff in my trash, it was easier than getting out the big circular saw. I had 10 sheets. For the heavy stuff I still pull out my old Milwaukee 2 speed sawsall. And besides I got the right angle drill with it, haven't used that much yet. I will though since I have to drill my studs for electrical in my basement remodel.

Dan

Rick Potter
07-19-2012, 2:02 AM
Thanks guys,

Apparantly, I can still live without it. My favorite use for my 18V Makita sawzall is tree trimming too. It will cut up to at least 3" branches using the ugly stick pruning blade.

Rick Potter

Greg Portland
07-19-2012, 1:43 PM

Matt, does this have an impact function (for screws) or is it only a drill?

Greg Portland
07-19-2012, 1:49 PM
I have been using a Dewalt 14.4 drill for many years, I use it mostly anymore drilling wood. I use it most for dowel holes, as most of you know I am a dowel freak and use them for everything.

The Dewalt has been a good drill but it is a little heavy, right at 5 lb., that is not a lot except when you are drilling a bunch of holes and then it gets a little heavy. The battery life is not bad and I have 2 batteries so it gets the job done.

I got a bee in my bonnet and decided I needed a new drill, looking at what I use it for the most I got the Milwaukee M12, 3/8". I have some other M12 tools so I have batteries.

I am very happy with this little drill, it has all the power of the Dewalt, 275 in-lb. of torque, 2 speeds , 0-400 and 0-1500. The drill is light, it is only 2.6 lb. and the balance is very good. It is a key-less chuck and works very well, better then any key-less chuck I have used, but then I have only use 3 or 4 different ones. It has 20 ratchet settings and one no ratchet drill setting.

It has a battery gauge which is really nice and an LED to light where you are drilling. I am sure the battery will not last as long as the big 14.4 battery but the lightness of it is so nice.

I drilled 40, 3/8"x1" holes in red oak and then drilled 5, 1"x3/4" holes with a forstner bit in red oak and still had 2 out of 5 LEDs on the battery gauge.

Will it work as a job site drill for a contractor, I am not sure but as a drill in the shop it is great, no cords to mess with and it is light and does a great job. With the 30 min. charger that comes with it I don't think you would have a battery problem in most drilling operations.

Good news r.e. Milwaukee... it sounds like they are starting to make some high end products again (the latest SCMS is nice too).