PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of a disasterous catch

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-16-2012, 9:37 AM
When a project ending catch happens I try try to learn why. I attempted to mimic one of David Ellsworth's Spirit Forms this weekend. The form was only 5" in diameter and 4 1/2" deep but I was working through a 1/2" entrance hole. I've made these before but in all honesty, it takes me less time to hollow a much larger form through a more forgiving entrance. There is just no way to see inside and all work is by feel. I suppose that's what makes them fun and certainly part of makes David's work so special.
I use a combination of home made tools and a branded "bent tool". The catch had nothing to do with the tool shape or brand. However, a 1/2" hole makes any tool shaft larger then 3/8" kind of useless. My home made tools use a 1/8" square steel cutting tool. The bent tool I was using had a 3/16" cutter. Naturally, a 3/8" bar requires a light touch and any catch can prove devastating so I hold all nut my straight tools in an arm brace. Well, I got a catch that was bad enough to bend the crap out of the tool and whack the upper side of the entrance hole hard enough to split the form. So, I licked my wounds, mental only, and cut the remains in half learn what happened. My error was easy to see.
The first mistake was not having the tool where I thought it was. I marked the cutting pattern I should have followed on the left side of the half cut. The black line inside the form shows where my tool actually was. With such a small shaft in ring porous wood, (ash) it is best to shave the wood away using only a portion of the cutting edge. My cut forced the entire width of the cutter into the wood. Once the catch started it was self feeding. The shaft bent allowing the the cutting edge to finally release but not before causing it to hit the top of the opening hard enough to break it. The hollow form was mounted on a faceplate or I am sure it would have gone into orbit. I was always a believer in face plates for hollow forms but this was proof how securely they hold the work.

If you look closely at the picture above you can see the cut that caused the crash. In one rotation the tool dug over 1/4" into the wood.
This is the damage to the tool. The straight shaft tool is for reference. I will straighten it out and give it another try.
Meanwhile, I spent yesterday hollowing a 8" x 8" form through a 1 1/2" opening. I felt like I could walk inside and look around and believe me, the difference between a 3/8" tool and a 3/4" tool is more than can be measured on a ruler. I hope my mistake helps someone else.
faust

Doug W Swanson
07-16-2012, 10:08 AM
I have yet to try a hollow form but this is a great info for me. Very informative write up. Unfortunately this happened but it was nice of you to post this!

Scott Lux
07-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Sorry about the catch. But this is a very informative post. I appreciate the post-mortem analysis.

Scott Hackler
07-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Do you suppose that shaving build up contributed to the catch?

Tim Rinehart
07-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Faust, good post mortem review of what happened. I have had similar occurrence when getting too aggressive with a 3/8" tool, and if it's slightly over-extended. You're right about one thing...much more enjoyable pulling/blowing a lot of chips out of bigger vessels, but it's cool making the small hole versions...seems to be more 'howdjadodat' effect.

Roger Chandler
07-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Great post Faust! Good that you could evaluate the happenings. You are correct........especially in a small opening like that there are 3 critical issues........Scott hit on one above........clean out shavings......every few seconds!!! The second is a small cutter bit and cut only on the left hand side from about 9 o'clock to 11:30 as far as the angle. The third issue is cutting pressure......light passes..........those cutter bits actually take of more than a lot of people realize, and hollowing is one of those things that is easy to rush........we get impatient with the process.

Great that you showed this............good luck with your next one! :)

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-16-2012, 2:29 PM
No chips, Scott. I wish that were the case but I had just finished cleaning. I believe a lapse in concentration just caused a brain malfunction.
faust

Jeff Myroup
07-16-2012, 2:35 PM
Glad nothing disastrous happened. Great postmortem.

Kathy Marshall
07-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Sorry about your hf Faust, but nice job on an informative post mortem.
Do you think you might have dropped the cutter below center?

Marc Himes
07-17-2012, 6:35 AM
Very informative. Thanks for laying it all out like that. It could make a nice presentation at your turning club.

Rich Aldrich
07-17-2012, 9:26 PM
Nice post. I am just sitting hear absorbing the information. I have an articulating arm monster sitting at home just waiting to be used. Hopefully this weekend it will finally cut wood.