PDA

View Full Version : OT: Computer Home Network Question

John Weber
04-07-2005, 9:41 PM
We are finally getting our office set up. So I the kids computer is networked (or at least can surf), but my wife's laptop doesn't recognize the cable (it says network cable unplugged), but it is plugged in. The wireless card still works, but I was hoping to be able to use the dock and faster wired connection when we are working. Any ideas, both my desktop and the laptop are running XP, and I'm using a Linksys wireless-g with 4 port LAN. All the LAN lights are working, but I don't really know what to try next.

Thanks - John

Rich Konopka
04-07-2005, 9:54 PM
John:

Check to see that the network connection for the cable is enabled by clicking on start-->settings-->Network

This will list your connections and you can right click on it an enable it if is not enabled.

David Fried
04-07-2005, 9:55 PM
Step 1. Try another cable. I once wasted a day only to find it was a bad cable.

Michael Perata
04-07-2005, 9:55 PM
John

Take the laptop to the kids room and plug it in and see if it works there. Cat 5 cables don't always work in every RJ-45 socket. DAMHIKT

John Weber
04-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys, I think I got it. I plugged the cable directly in the laptop bypassing the dock. It worked fine, so I went back to the set-up. They had 2 listings and I choose the "other" one, and it works fine. Who knows what I did, but all is fine now with the dock. Thanks for the help.

John

P.S. Lost since my DOS days...

Joe Mioux
04-07-2005, 10:45 PM
P.S. Lost since my DOS days...

Isn't that the truth......

They don't make operating systems like that anymore;)

Matt Meiser
04-08-2005, 8:01 AM
Step 1. Try another cable. I once wasted a day only to find it was a bad cable.

I see John fixed the problem, but yes, ALWAYS check the cable first. I've been flown somewhere to troubleshoot a software problem on more than one occasion that was fixed by replacing, or in the most recent case attaching, a cable.

Michael Ballent
04-08-2005, 4:42 PM
Isn't that the truth......

They don't make operating systems like that anymore;)

If you enjoy typing all your commands might I suggest Linux :D I know that there is "windowing" but you can still type in all your commands. Ah bliss :D

ls -ltr
ps -ef
df -k
find /export/home -name "*what_was_that_file*" -print

hehehe:cool: