PDA

View Full Version : Janport chisels

martin a miller
07-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum but based on previous reading of it, I'm thinking someone out there may be able to answer my questions.

I've come acrsoss three chisels marked "I Janport I" or "I I Janport" on both a decal on the handles and stamped in a rectangle with "Sweden" into the back of the blade. They appear to be a quality product, are in good shape, and the handles are protected by a metal ring at their "mallet" end.

Can anyone tell me anything at all about them--their quality, approximate age, etc.

I've searched a good number of posts, some specifically about Swedish steel and Swedish chisels, but nowhere is the name Janport mentioned.

Thanks much for any inifo.

Martin

David Weaver
07-15-2012, 10:54 PM
No clue. Do they have "eskilstuna" marked on them anywhere?

A lot of the swedish chisels have the style of handle you describe. If they are marked eskilstuna, it's likely they're made from very good quality steel.

martin a miller
07-15-2012, 11:38 PM
No clue. Do they have "eskilstuna" marked on them anywhere?

A lot of the swedish chisels have the style of handle you describe. If they are marked eskilstuna, it's likely they're made from very good quality steel.

David,
No, they don't have Eskilstuna on them. I have a feeling they are of the same quality as the steel from the Eskilstuna region, (and that's somewhat wishful on my part) but the region's name isn't there.
Martin

David Weaver
07-16-2012, 7:47 AM
I suppose the only way you could tell is to use them. Out of curiosity, I googled them but didn't find much - one or two references to them, but nothing else.

You might try the UK woodwork board or the aussie woodworks board, I have seen a lot more swedish stuff on both of those boards.

martin a miller
07-16-2012, 9:43 PM
Thanks, David, I'll take a look at those forums, too

Jim Koepke
07-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Martin,

Welcome to the Creek.

Your profile doesn't give your location, where do you call home?

I have a few Swedish chisels. They work well, but for many things my Buck Brother chisels get used first.

As long as a chisel can reasonably hold an edge and the handle fits my hand, it is a keeper.

jtk

martin a miller
07-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Jim,
I'm in Alameda, CA. For some reason, I didn't include the full location when I set up registration.

Interesting, your comment about using Buck Bros in favor of your Swedish model. I have a few Buck Bros, also, of approximately the same vintage as the Swedish models (they came from the same source). Haven't used either of them yet for lack of time. The Swedish chisels caught my eye because they were in slightly better shape.

Martin

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-18-2012, 11:43 AM
When I skim the forum, my eye keeps reading this as "Jansport chisels" and I think about the backpacks I had as a kid. . . .

Jim Koepke
07-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Jim,
I'm in Alameda, CA. For some reason, I didn't include the full location when I set up registration.

Interesting, your comment about using Buck Bros in favor of your Swedish model. I have a few Buck Bros, also, of approximately the same vintage as the Swedish models (they came from the same source). Haven't used either of them yet for lack of time. The Swedish chisels caught my eye because they were in slightly better shape.

Martin

I used to live next door 0in Contra Costa County, near Richmond. Worked for BART before retirement.

I like the handles on my Buck Bros chisels more than the Swedish handles. My Buck Bros chisels are also socket chisels. Much easier for me to make new handles as needed.

I also have a few different sets of chisels and have them with different bevel angles for different situations. My Buck Bros chisels tend to have the shallowest angle for paring work. My widest Buck Bros chisel is 1". For 1-1/4" there is a Stanley but chisel, a Sandvik and an unknown maker Swedish chisel. I think my 1-1/2" chisels consist of a P.S.&W. and the other biggie is from Union Hardware.

There are a lot of good chisels from many sources.

jtk

Howard Klepper
07-19-2012, 2:09 PM
I have a set of them. Bevel edge bench chisels with beech handles. They do say Eskilstuna and they look just like Bergs. I'd have to count (and measure), but there are about 10 of them, ranging from about 5mm to about 40mm. Excellent steel; the equal of Berg IMO. They were given to me by a guy in Berkeley about 35 years ago; he didn't use them. I use them every day.