PDA

View Full Version : Incra 1000se alignment question

Tim Morton
04-07-2005, 9:31 PM
I am setting this gauge up tonight and am adjusting the miter bar itself to ride in the track of my delta contractor saw. The instructions mention that I only need to tighten the two "white" expansion rings on the left side. But i cannot figure out a way to adjust the rear (closest to me) slop out of the bar. It moves side to side just a tad bit, which seems to be not a good thing? I do see a white expansion washer under the main assembly, but no mention of it or a way to adjust it...did I miss something?

Terre Hooks
04-07-2005, 9:44 PM
Remove the fence.

Remove the black handle. Spin the gauge head 180 degrees.

The rear washers are now accessible.

Tim Morton
04-07-2005, 9:52 PM
DOH!! Thanks..much better!!!I tried rotating the head without removing the fence....much better your way!! its now flush and square. Nice miter guage, I like it much better than the Osborne I tried a couple years ago.

John Gregory
04-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Tim, I have been trying to decide between the 1000SE and the EB3. What do you like better about the 1000SE?

Tim Morton
04-08-2005, 5:45 PM
Tim, I have been trying to decide between the 1000SE and the EB3. What do you like better about the 1000SE?

I did not compare it to the EB3...I think the Osborne I bought and returned was the EB2? But anyway the Osbourne was kind of wimpy feeling and sliding in the miter slot it was cheap feeling. The EB3 may be a big upgrade from where I was at a couple years ago..but the incra feels very solid. I'm guessing its a Beisemeyer/Unifence thing...different strokes for different folks. But I vote for the incra.

PS...can't seem to get my "quote' tags to work.

Joe Spear
04-08-2005, 8:41 PM
I had the EB-3 for a few months. I was never sure if I was right on an angle if it didn't have a detente (45 and 90). The markings seemed too wide. I was also using it on a Bosch 4000 at the time, and the arm would fall off the table if I pulled it way back to crosscut a wide piece of wood. I sold it. Then I got a 1000Se. I like it very much. The little v-notches let you set exactly the angle you want.. I also have a Woodhaven SmartMiter, which is heavy when I have to take it off the saw so I can rip. But it works very well, and you don't have to loosen the fence and push it over when making angle-cuts like the Incra or EB-3. (I forgot a few times and sliced both of those.) I use the SmartMiter and Incra about equal amounts of time.

Tom Hintz
04-09-2005, 4:01 AM
I also have gone to the 1000SE after reading so many good comments about it and other Incra products. The idea of the notched plate setting angles concerned me some, until I got it and started using it. It is solid and right on the money no matter what angle you set it at. very well made, adjusts to the slot cleanly and stays adjusted.
I have a review of the 1000SE with photos and more on the individual features at the link below if that might help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/incra1000servu.html