PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 0555 series bandsaw question for you

Bill White
07-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I have the new G0555LX BS with which I'm well pleased.
Question is this:
Has anyone devised or used an additional dust port opening to increase air flow (as in make-up air) that will assist in the dust collection?
Seems to me that the air flow is a bit "starved" when using the 4" port for dust collection. I have the HF DC.
My thought is to add a port to the front bottom wheel cover.
Whatcha think?
Bill

Erik Loza
07-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Bill, I have no personal experience with your machine but (most of) our bandsaws use a single 4" dust port and my observation has been that as long as the DC is of adequate size and reasonably close to the saw, you should not have any issues with dust extraction. Back when I was doing the trade show circuit with one of our MM16's, I used the cheapest Delta single-bagger you could buy, since it basically got destroyed by the end of each trade show season and we did not want to invest a lot of money in that piece of equipment, and it worked fine. Yes, our Oneida 5hp would have probably done better but the point being that even though this unit might have been called "sub-par", it still got the job done through a single 4" port.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your new bandsaw.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Steven Hsieh
07-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I agree that they should have put a dust port in front of the bottom guides.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/permalink/mo3GTBPB9OIY785/B0000DD0AC/ref=cm_ciu_images_pl_link

Erik Loza
07-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Oh, I did not realize that the only port on that machine was in the lower cabinet, rather than below the lower guides.

Yes, I can see how that would be an issue. The primary extraction point should be as close to the point of cutting as possible. The photo Steve linked looks like a clever solution.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Van Huskey
07-15-2012, 2:33 PM
Bill, I think folks are answering a diffreent question than you ask. I think your question is do you need to open up more area for are ti move INTO the lower cabinet so there is ample flow through it. Although I am very familiar with the 555 series I haven't owned one nor dealt with the DC but if I spent time on DC my focus would be on collection right below the table, as a couple of people alluded to as opposed to being concerned about make up air. The area right under the blade is the most critical for dust collection and this is the traditional place to collect from on a bandsaw. If you want to see if an increase in makeup air will make a difference make some cuts (with a large piece of wood) with the throat plate removed. Make about 1/2" slices off one side (so there is open area for extra makeup air to come in), this would probably produce the best possibly flow of new air and if it doesn't make a big difference you have your answer. You could do it semi-scientifically by cleaning out the cabinet doing X number of cuts with the throat plate in and out and see how much dust is left in the cabinet after each test. In the end I think the key is adding a collection chamber right under the table. I personally think the lower cabinet is not sealed nearly well enough to cause issues BUT you may be right.

Bill White
07-16-2012, 9:52 AM
Thanks Van. I'll try that.
Bill

John Coloccia
07-16-2012, 9:55 AM
Best thing to do on that saw, and I'll be doing it on mine soon, is add brushes to remove sawdust from the lower wheel.

Bill White
07-16-2012, 10:07 AM
John, I've considered that as well, but the little add-on brush that I've seen gets some weak reviews. I've even seen one set up that had a toothbrush glued to the frame. If you've got a good suggestion, I'm all ears and eyes.
Bill

John Coloccia
07-16-2012, 10:13 AM
The toothbrush actually sounds like a good idea if you can get one without all those funny plastic things sticking out of them. For massaging your gums, or some nonsense like that. I'm not sure I'd glue it to the frame, but I'd certainly drill a hole in a block and glue it in, and then glue a magnet to the block and stick it on the frame. I think you're onto something, Bill. If you make the block oversized, when/if the brush wears out, just drill a new hole and stick in a new brush.

Van Huskey
07-16-2012, 2:17 PM
I find a toothbrush is a little small and wears quickly but they will work. I go to the brush section (cleaning) at Walmart or a dollar store etc and just browse, I have always found something that would work for every saw.