PDA

View Full Version : How are you keeping your laser and yourself cool....

Craig Matheny
07-14-2012, 4:14 PM
Well sometimes it the little things that can make the difference between hot and comfortable. It has been hot and muggy at the store in Knotts and let me tell you the humidity is also right up there. Well today it is the little things that makes the difference a 12" x 3" plastic pipe, an adapter, trash can some fittings, glue, bungee cord, aluminium drier venting and don't forget the duct tape put it all together and what do you get? I made an air handler for my portable A/C unit so I can keep the laser cool but there is way to much air so added a second port and faced it towards the work area nice cold air blowing right at my neck, shoulders and back time for some ice tea. The one thing that we battle is the outside elements being the store is open to the outside.:rolleyes:

Lee DeRaud
07-14-2012, 4:28 PM
I keep my laser cool by keeping it inside, well away from heat sources like plasma cutters and welders. :p

Yes, the humidity and temp has been high the last couple of days...by Anaheim standards. But the last 38 years have convinced me that the best way to keep myself and my tools cool is to live in a civilized climate. :cool:

Joe Pelonio
07-14-2012, 6:24 PM
It's only 76 here but my shop is upstairs so I do have the window AC on to keep it a little cooler while I knock off about 120 name badges.

Craig Matheny
07-14-2012, 6:39 PM
That is next weeks temps I hope

Jiten Patel
07-15-2012, 6:05 AM
Well here in Sunny London we have had rain, rain and did I forget to mention, MORE RAIN! So no issues at all apart from soggy socks!

walter hofmann
07-15-2012, 6:16 AM
hi
I am donw in florida where we got some very high temperature up to 100 F or 36C.
I use a old window A/C unit in the window and put a 150x120mm radiator right in front of the airflow outlet of this unit and it holds my water temperatur around 70F or 20C and my self by 24F.
greetings
walt

Mike Null
07-15-2012, 8:32 AM
I am in almost civilized St. Louis. We had 9 staright days over 100 this month though for the past few days we've been at a balmy 95+. I use the central air to cool my basement and keep it dehumidified, though i have a dehumidifier if needed, I haven't used it for a couple of years.

David Fairfield
07-15-2012, 9:59 AM
I'm set up in a basement that stays cool or relatively cool year round, with a dehumidifier to keep it dry. But running the exhaust does pull warm humid air down into the work area, which keeps the dehumidifier busy, and it does get colder in the winter with the blower running and that adds to the heating bill. So I'm wondering if a simple fresh air duct, with one end outside, and the other end a few feet over the laser, might keep some room air out of the loop? Or would it need to be enclosed to be effective? An enclosed duct to the laser's fresh air intake would be unacceptable due to decreased access.

Dave

Tim Bateson
07-15-2012, 10:35 AM
... So I'm wondering if a simple fresh air duct, with one end outside, and the other end a few feet over the laser, might keep some room air out of the loop? Or would it need to be enclosed to be effective? An enclosed duct to the laser's fresh air intake would be unacceptable due to decreased access...

During the Winter I open one of the basement windows just a bit. Although your fresh air duct sounds like a better idea.

Joe Pelonio
07-15-2012, 5:24 PM
Me too, I open a window an inch or so right next to the laser, though today at 66 it's not an issue.

Paul Phillips
07-16-2012, 1:10 PM
I feel for all those in the Eastern US who have been experiencing the record high temps, I can't imagine what that feels like along with the high humidity, living in the desert (Palm Springs) it can get above 120+f but it's a dry heat. Last week it was 118 and my CNC shop only has a swamp cooler which means I have to work in 104 deg shop all day, fortunately my laser is in an air conditioned part of the shop but it still struggles to keep it under 83, sometimes I worry if that will shorten the life span of the laser tubes.

ray hampton
07-16-2012, 5:27 PM
I recommended that you pour water on your head often to keep the body heat down but do this away from your machines, a liter bottle or quart bottle are ideal

Albert Nix
07-17-2012, 12:59 PM
My shop has central A/C and I keep it set on 77F. I have had the laser, printer w/heaters and a heat press running all at once. Talk about running the heck out of an a/c.