PDA

View Full Version : Millers Falls miter box question

alan seredick
07-14-2012, 2:50 PM
I recently purchased a Millers Falls miter box. See the photo below. It is, according to the label, a size 2 1/2 no. 1074A.
My question regards the swinging mechanism. It is different from the 'swinging lever' mechanism that most of the online manuals reference. Can anyone in the creek provide a link to instructions on how to adjust this style of miter box to cut angles other than 90 degrees? Or is anyone willing to walk me through the process?

If it helps, a picture of the bottom of the swinging mechanism.
If any of you have advice as to how to best maintain/service/restore the box that would be appreciated too.

Gary Herrmann
07-14-2012, 4:56 PM
The instructions and parts list for these boxes is here:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=4379

First, have you verified that it is off in terms of the indicator and the angle? If it is, I believe you can adjust it using that slotted head in the lower 1/3 of your 2nd pic.

I've got a nbr 74 in my shop. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Joe Bailey
07-14-2012, 5:17 PM
If I understand your question correctly, you're asking how to release the locked table and swing it to another setting?
If that's your question, then proceed as follows: press down on that horizontal the tab just below and to the right of the outer saw tower -- the thing with a hole through it.
This will rotate the square shaft and cause an eccentric on the end of the shaft to press down against a plate on the underside of the table. While the tab is depressed you can move the table to a new setting.
Releasing the tab locks the table.

Gary Herrmann
07-14-2012, 8:36 PM
Geez. That sailed right past me. Doh!

alan seredick
07-14-2012, 9:27 PM
Thank you both for your help. I tried your suggestion Joe, and it worked perfectly! Apparently I don't have any mechanical savvy...I was turning the lever the other direction. You probably saved me from forcing things and breaking a perfectly good miter box.