PDA

View Full Version : Longhorns

Mike Tilley
07-14-2012, 1:00 PM
This piece was inspired from a great looking vase by Harvey Crouch.
Several farmers who i have coffee with every morning are also cattle people when i saw this i just had to try to do something similar. Made of Maple Bloodwood and Bubinga
This was a challenge for me since i was working from a picture i thought it turned out ok it is a lot larger than i thought it would be the heads didn't look that big until i put them into the segments. Measures 8" tall and 12" wide. Tell me what you think and enjoy

Thanks Mike236828236829236830236831

Roger Chandler
07-14-2012, 1:04 PM
Very nicely done Mike! The joints are very tight and that is a great feature ring.........just enough light woods on the dark to make for a good contrast............great work!

Greg Just
07-14-2012, 2:06 PM
excellent job - you should be pleased with the finished product

Marc Himes
07-14-2012, 2:32 PM
Looks like excellent work. The farmers should enjoy it. Great selection of woods, with the maple to show the pattern and the darker woods to give a warm background.

Robert McGowen
07-14-2012, 3:19 PM
Hi Mike, The segmenting looks top notch and the longhorns are very well done. I think that the overall form of the piece suffers at the expense of the segmenting though and the light colored horizontal pieces distract a bit from the feature ring. Did you make each of the feature ring segments seperately, or did you do a long section and slice off the segments?

Steve Schlumpf
07-14-2012, 3:56 PM
I like the feature ring! Really different! Should be a big hit with your coffee buddies!

Mike Tilley
07-14-2012, 4:11 PM
Hi Robert I cut the bottom of the heads first and then fit the rest of the pieces in between the heads to get a longer piece.
then when finished glueing i cut them into segments. The little pieces on the horns were the hardest to keep in place for me
it was a learning experience should be easier next time if i were to do another before i forget what i did.

Thomas Canfield
07-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Nice job. The color looks good for The University also, that is The University of Texas. Pretty much burnt orange and white but that might not have been in your original plan. It would do well down here.

Tom Winship
07-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Sorry to have to do this Mike,

"Goodbye to Texas University, so long to the orange and white..................."

I think your work is exemplary, just a lacking subject..........

Len Mullin
07-15-2012, 4:18 AM
Fit, Form & Finish= Fabulous
Len

Jim Rimmer
07-16-2012, 2:28 PM
Sorry to have to do this Mike,

"Goodbye to Texas University, so long to the orange and white..................."

I think your work is exemplary, just a lacking subject..........

Those of you not familiar with Texas, College Station is the home of the Aggies. I, too, am an Aggie fan but those bowls would sell quick in Austin.

Jim Burr
07-16-2012, 2:36 PM
I'm only qualified to say "Wowzza!!" You segment guys are the antithesis of ADD folks like us pen makers!

Mike Tilley
07-16-2012, 5:22 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback I 'am going to swat next month maybe this should go with me and find a home in the big state of Texas if they are that into longhorns.

Jeff Myroup
07-16-2012, 5:55 PM
Nice job Mike. Should go over pretty well in the Lone Star state.

Tom Winship
07-16-2012, 6:39 PM
Mike, but you are going to Waco, home of the Baylor Bears. They hate the Longhorns also. Make something green and gold, and burn some bears on it.

Rich Aldrich
07-16-2012, 8:35 PM
Nice bowl, but what a can of worms you opened. I know someone is going to make a segmented bowl green with a darn big Yellow G in the middle of it....sheesh:eek::D

Tom Hamilton
07-16-2012, 9:27 PM
What I'm thinking is: you should make a truck load of those and park yourself in Dallas or Austin with a For Sale sign.

Thomas Canfield
07-16-2012, 9:54 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback I 'am going to swat next month maybe this should go with me and find a home in the big state of Texas if they are that into longhorns.

You should bring it to SWAT and put it in the Instant Gallery to show in any case. That is a great piece and there will be a lot of items on display. Check out the requirements to show - they are simple.

Baxter Smith
07-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Nice work on a great feature ring!