PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood dealers - Philly /NJ

Peter Hawser
07-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Not sure where to post this, but other than Hearnes, can anyone recommend some good hardwood stores/sellers in the general Philly/NJ area? I'd like to find your basic American wood (cherry, walnut, oak, maple...) in selections of rift and quarter sawn. I really liked the guys at Wherung's Specialty Woods, but all their domestic wood is flat sawn.

Ari Friedman
07-14-2012, 2:31 PM
Try this thread: http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/forum/west-philadelphia-university-city/8632-source-hardwood-lumber.html

Michael Heffernan
07-14-2012, 2:58 PM
A couple of good lumber sources, besides Hearne Hardwoods are:
Groff & Groff Lumber in Quarryville, PA /http://www.groffslumber.com
Spacht Sawmill, Fairview Village, PA http://www.spachtsawmill.com/
Both are good sources for me. If you go to Spacht, call ahead and schedule a time to meet Dave Spacht. He is a small operation, with good domestic woods. Cherry is his main inventory. Also has good flitches.

Rob Fisher
07-14-2012, 3:13 PM
Groff and Groff, a little far from Philly but good selection.

Robert LaPlaca
07-14-2012, 3:40 PM
Hum, the usual suspects for lumber dealers in the Philly area are Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford, Groff and Groff in Quarryville and Good Hope Hardwoods in Landenberg Pa. Now the stumbling block seems to the request for rift and quartersawn, you maybe more successful with Good Hope Hardwoods, I have gotten rift sawn Walnut from Good Hope in 12/4 for cabriolet legs stock..

It's not in the Philly area but you may want to try Talrico Hardwoods for quartersawn oak..

Good luck

Al Weber
07-14-2012, 4:27 PM
Willard Brothers in or around Trenton. They have large stocks of American hardwoods and some exotics. Nice people. I haven't been there for years since I moved from NJ but they have a website so I know they are still there. They are a bit hard to find but off the beaten path. If you go, look in the ware houses away from the main show room. They have a large inventory out there and you can spend hours looking for the right lumber.

johnny means
07-14-2012, 6:18 PM
Look up Mike Quinn up in Yardley, couple of miles from Sesame place. Great guy, lots of lumber, fair prices.

Steve Friedman
07-14-2012, 9:08 PM
Willard Brothers in or around Trenton. They have large stocks of American hardwoods and some exotics. Nice people. I haven't been there for years since I moved from NJ but they have a website so I know they are still there. They are a bit hard to find but off the beaten path. If you go, look in the ware houses away from the main show room. They have a large inventory out there and you can spend hours looking for the right lumber.
Willard Brothers is convenient and has nice stuff, but much more expensive than places like Groff.

Al Weber
07-15-2012, 10:26 AM
They are pricey but usually have a great selection. I never been to G & G so can't comment on price differences.

Peter Hawser
07-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Thanks to everyone. Plenty to work from here.