PDA

View Full Version : 3D Segments

John Beaver
07-13-2012, 10:29 PM
This is an idea I have been playing with for a while now. I have a few other designs I want to bring this concept to, but I had to make sure I could successfully have protruding elements going two different directions, so I kept the design fairly straight forward. I really wasn't sure I could pull it off, as there were many challenges with grain direction, alignment and clamping techniques.

It's not classical segmenting, instead the main body is turned as one bowl then deconstructed and reconstructed with the added elements.

It's about 4" x 6" White Ash and Maple.

Comments please. I would love feedback on the idea.

Steve Vaughan
07-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Well, my brain is thoroughly screwed up looking at that thing! It's beautiful, I love what you've done. Trying to wrap my tiny brain around what some of you folks do!

David DeCristoforo
07-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Fascinating concept, John. It invokes Japanese tansu and shoji designs only in the round. Excellent!

Scott Hackler
07-13-2012, 11:44 PM
David stole my thunder. As I studied the photos I was thinking Japanese influence, immediately. I am not 100% on this new style with this particular form...but could easily see the panel look in a more traditional oriental form. Kudos for something new!

Kathy Marshall
07-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Very cool John! I'm with Steve, hard to wrap my brain around the precision needed to get it looking so good.

Clint Baxter
07-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Nice job. Know what you mean about grain directions from the issues I had doing a square bowl with borders of a contrasting wood. I've since decided to try to the turning as an end grain piece to make the laminations simpler. Shouldn't end up with any end grain to end grain pieces that way either. Am definitely interested to see where you go next.

Clint

Michelle Rich
07-14-2012, 5:37 AM
I commented at WOw, but the concept is worth praising twice..keep 'em coming

Doug W Swanson
07-14-2012, 8:39 AM
I really like it! The choice of woods give it a nice contrast and you did a great job with lining every thing up! Excellent!

Bob Rotche
07-14-2012, 8:42 AM
Really interesting concept. Tons of potential! Look forward to see where you go with this.

Alan Trout
07-14-2012, 8:50 AM
John,

That is a really cool piece, I like the concept. It almost has an Japanese feel to the piece. I look forward to seeing where this may take you. When I make a comment on a piece I like I generally do not read the other comments until I write my response as to give what I really think without influence. I see there are others that the piece invokes the same response. To me that means you are doing something right.

Well Done

Alan.

Pat Scott
07-14-2012, 9:03 AM
Well done is right. I really like it and can just imagine how much time you spent on it.

David Gilbert
07-14-2012, 9:03 AM
I am amazed at the quality of the design and the craftsmanship that this bowl displays. I can see that it exists, but I just can't imagine how it was constructed. Excellent work!

Scott Lux
07-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I really like it, and i too am floored at the the thought of how precise you had to been this. My wife thinks it would be coolin all the same wood, ( no contrast)

John Beaver
07-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

Scott, I appreciate your comments. I played with shapes, but I like this as it's a solid from and by tucking the rim it really shows off the outside elements. With some other shapes the elements get buried a little.

Scott. Interesting Idea from your wife. I will have to consider it.

Clint. When I have done protruding ribs in the past I have worked with end grain and had the elements follow the grain up. Adding the horizontal pieces though, required the piece to be face grain, and the vertical pieces are lined up accordingly. Here's some examples...

Marc Himes
07-14-2012, 2:41 PM
I think they are all incredible, a joy to see and intriguing to contemplate the how did he do that question.

Steve Schlumpf
07-14-2012, 3:53 PM
Really cool effect John! I agree with David - reminds me of a shoji design.

James Roberts
07-14-2012, 7:52 PM
Wonderful piece! This really ratchets up the "how the @&$% did he do that??!!" factor. Incredible attention to detail. Thanks for sharing.

Ryan Baker
07-14-2012, 9:17 PM
I was also thinking of the Japanese influence when I saw it. Neat concept, and very well done. It looks pretty tricky to pull off well.

Clint Baxter
07-14-2012, 11:01 PM
You're right. I can see how you could get away with face cluing on your other pieces, but realize, (after you pointed it out), this piece is going to have end grain glue ups regardless of whether it was turned end-grain or face-grain. Superb job on it and all the work it entailed.

Clint

Len Mullin
07-15-2012, 3:56 AM
I looked it all over, and as a newbie to turning all I can say or ask, is how the heck did you do that. It's a beautiful little piece of work, and the other pieces don't look none to shabby either. I had a hard time taking my eyes of of this because I was trying to figure out how it was done, thanks for sharing this with us, I really appreciated seeing it.
Len

Len Mullin
07-15-2012, 4:03 AM
John, I'd like to know why you didn't disect the main bowl one more time, so that the vertical bands would all be evenly placed?
Len

John Beaver
07-15-2012, 2:43 PM
Len, Thanks for the comments.
I felt the the piece was too rigid if I made it perfectly symmetrical. Leaving the spacing uneven makes it a little more dynamic.

Rick Markham
07-16-2012, 12:17 AM
It's fantastic John! Nothing else to say but well done!