PDA

View Full Version : Iwf

Matt Meiser
07-13-2012, 9:19 PM
I'm thinking of flying down to Atlanta for the IWF show. I think I can take the train from the airport to the convention center and stay at a hotel within walking distance. Anyone know how good of a plan the train is? Anyone else going? I'm thinking I'd going down Wednesday and back Thursday.

Wes Grass
07-13-2012, 9:56 PM
Hotels are cheaper near the airport. Stay there, take the 'free' shuttle back and forth to the airport to get on MARTA. That's about the cheapest way I could think of. Just takes a bit of time standing around waiting for buses and trains.

I thought the trains were pretty decent. Cars were clean and the ride was nice. Gotta transfer at the main junction and take another train a stop or 2 to the convention center. Read the signs carefully, or you could wind up waiting by the tracks going the wrong way.

Van Huskey
07-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Not a problem Mike. There are several hotels within a few steps of the Congreass center AND IWF also runs a shuttle to all the major downtown hotels. Prices through IWF are very reasonable actually. MARTA (trains) are pretty decent, especially the run in from the airport, similar to all big city mass transit systems there are areas you would want to avoid, especially at night but the Hartsfield-Jackson to downtown isn't one of them.

I will be there but stay with a friend that lives within about 3 miles. Dave Kumm is coming and staying downtown but think you will miss each other. I plan to start on Wednesday and stay until I am tired of it and/or have no one left to meet up with. We will have to set up meeting times for SMC folks on at least 2 days since people are going to be coming and going.

David Kumm
07-13-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm coming in Wed night to Fri evening. Hope to see those of you I've annoyed. Dave

Bruce Wrenn
07-14-2012, 9:50 PM
We fly in, take Marta to show (buy a week pass.) Stop in CNN center for breakfast, and lunch later. Walk across street and pick up registration, and then go upstairs and do bag check for the day. Around 4:00PM we get bags, and take MARTA to hotel, which is located near Linburg Center (train station.) Take bus to hotel. Stop is directly across street. Do reverse on Thursday. This year, on Friday we will rent a car as we want to go back to Stone Mountain and see laser light show, in addition to going to Highland Hardware.

Van Huskey
07-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Bruce makes a good point, Highland Harware is a must visit if you have the time, very few machines but LOTS of hand tools (more planes than I have ever seen in one place).

Rick Fisher
07-15-2012, 5:45 AM
Myself and a buddy are coming down from Vancouver Island.. We went to Atlanta 2 years ago, its a great city .. Hopefully meeting another SMC member from Arizona at the show .. We went to Highland last time, and the Rockler in Buckhead.. ( I think ) ...

Keith Outten
07-15-2012, 9:02 AM
We are driving down on Wednesday and will be at IWF on Thursday and Friday. Saturday hasn't been planned yet.
We will be located at the CAMaster Booth when we aren't visiting vendors.

Erik Loza
07-15-2012, 12:00 PM
If I could one suggestion to anyone who is attending the IWF for the first time, it is to make a list of the vendors you are intetested in visiting with and knock that out during the early portion of each day. Though the shows are nowhere as big as they have been in years past, it is still easy to get overwhelmed and wander off track and then by the time you know it, poof, it's five o'clock.

As a rep who enjoys chit-chatting with customers, I can tell you that there is a lot more time for that early each day, as the patrons are still trickling in, rather than after the lunch hour, when the guys who are there to negotiate their deals on machinery purchases will be occupying most of the respective reps' time.

Also, while I do not disagree that MARTA is economical, I have always taken a taxi because at shows, time is money and MARTA will be slammed. More like Hong Kong than like normal Atlanta, LOL. Just my 2-cents.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Matt Meiser
07-15-2012, 1:31 PM
What's a taxi run?

Belinda Barfield
07-16-2012, 7:43 AM
We usually stay at the Mariott downtown and take the shuttle bus. Looking forward to seeing Jackie and Keith again, along with the CAMaster crew.

Greg Portland
07-18-2012, 1:31 PM
I'm thinking of flying down to Atlanta for the IWF show. I think I can take the train from the airport to the convention center and stay at a hotel within walking distance. Anyone know how good of a plan the train is? Anyone else going? I'm thinking I'd going down Wednesday and back Thursday.
The MARTA train from the airport to the hotel should not be a problem. You'll need to transfer to the green/blue line if you want to stay next to the GWCC (convention center).

Van Huskey
07-18-2012, 7:16 PM
What's a taxi run?

ATL Hartsfield to Downtown is right at $30. As long as you aren't hitting MARTA at just the wrong times it won't be an issue, Atlanta is still very much a driving city as anyone who has ever been on 285/85/75/20 during either rush hour can attest. If you stay downtown I would just ride the shuttle bus to the GWCC, since you won't have to be there at a specific minute.

Joe Jensen
07-29-2012, 7:09 PM
I'm attending Thurs and Fri with my dad, brother and Rick Fisher...joe

Matt Meiser
07-29-2012, 7:43 PM
I don't think I'm going to go now. I got approved for the vacation and my wife approved too, but then I had three straight weeks of work travel and I'm way behind at home. Maybe I'll change my mind if prices stay low and I get caught up in the next week or too.

Van Huskey
08-20-2012, 8:55 PM
So anyone want to meet up???

Matt Meiser
08-23-2012, 8:36 AM
I guess I should have gone!

I ordered my cabinet doors and drawers Monday--they mentioned that they probably wouldn't really get started on my job until next Monday because a bunch of the guys were going to Atlanta.

I ordered my plywood as well on Monday--they won't be delivering it until next week because...they were going to Atlanta.

I tried calling General Finishes with some questions on Tuesday--there was no one technical available because they are all in Atlanta!

Belinda Barfield
08-23-2012, 8:46 AM
I guess I should have gone!

I ordered my cabinet doors and drawers Monday--they mentioned that they probably wouldn't really get started on my job until next Monday because a bunch of the guys were going to Atlanta.

I ordered my plywood as well on Monday--they won't be delivering it until next week because...they were going to Atlanta.

I tried calling General Finishes with some questions on Tuesday--there was no one technical available because they are all in Atlanta!

Right there with you Matt. I thought I was going but work got crazy busy. Was still hoping to make it Saturday, but I don't think that's going to happen either. Needed some router bits from Onsrud . . . not happening because everyone is in Atlanta.

Keith Outten
08-24-2012, 8:23 AM
Yep, they are all here alright, the afternoon traffic is insane.

There are plenty go people at IWF this year which makes it a challenge to find other Creekers but we have been able to gather several times at the CAMaster booth. More vendors than we can visit and the small vendor booths are often the jewels to find here.