PDA

View Full Version : Router Table

Brent Romero
07-13-2012, 7:45 PM
Well guys, I think it is finally time to purchase a router table. I dont think I want a stand along floor model, but rather a portable model. I have a Bosch 1617 router...do you guys think I will be ok using that router to make a few raised panel doors? Not getting into the production business, but rather just a few doors here and there.

Also, any suggestions on router tables are surely welcome. Would I be better off designing my own table and purchasing a nice fence (like the Woodpecker one)?

Thanks in advance for the ideas guys.

Go Drew Brees!!!

Larry Frank
07-13-2012, 8:31 PM
I have a floor mounted router table that I built and am very happy with. I use it with a sled to make rail and stile doors and moldings. I good router table which is flat, easy to adjust and has dust collection is a must have tool.

I built the following one which is a bench top one for my son. It is pretty similar in function and design to my floor standing model but of course is smaller.

I like having the top made of a Formica that I can write on our make marks. The T-tracks in the fence and top are used for guides and such and not for a miter gauge.

Brent Romero
07-13-2012, 9:12 PM
Nice!! Which mounting plate did you use?

Mike Heidrick
07-13-2012, 10:44 PM
A couple questions?

Will you ever install a lift?
Will you have below dust collection?
What fence design will you use?

Brent Romero
07-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Not planning on using a lift in the beginning....no dust collection at the present time....and open to fence suggestions.

Thanks

Mike Heidrick
07-13-2012, 11:13 PM
A great advantage to building a table is that dust collection, even just using a shop vac initially, can easily be added as simply as making a box with a hole to friction fit a hose.

Consider not using a plate at all. Remove the router motor from a fixed base that is bolted to the underside of the table. Hige the table top to make it easily accessable.

Ever see the show The Router Workshop? I know guys will tell all kinds of funny stories about it but there was a lot of simplistic design in their setup - including the simple fence c-clamped to the top. Try and find some of those shows and watch them with an open mind. Their setup was benchtop and did a ton or different cuts. They had a plate if I remember right - Rosseau plate maybe - I never liked the crowned rings that the Rosseau plate has.

If you do install a plate pick one the same size as a lift you might like to have later - like Incra or Woodpecker.

Brent Romero
07-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks Mike. Do you think the Bosch I mentioned will swing bits large enough for a few raised panel doors if I make multiple cuts?

Van Huskey
07-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Thanks Mike. Do you think the Bosch I mentioned will swing bits large enough for a few raised panel doors if I make multiple cuts?

It is always nice to have a big 3+ hp router for panel raising but with less power just take multiple passes and you will quickly learn how much you can take on each pass, just listen to the router it will tell you. Point being the 1617 will be fine just slower because of the extra passes.

Mike Heidrick
07-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Yep - It will be perfect. You can always upgrade latter. I used a PC890 and it did EVERYTHING perfect and that is less of a router maybe than you 1617. I would use it in a second. Get the Bosch base made for this!

Bosch RA1165 Undertable Base
$59.99 from International tool whoever they are

http://www.internationaltool.com/images/Product/medium/bosra1165.jpg

Rick Potter
07-14-2012, 3:52 AM
Brent,

Yes you can make raised panel doors with a bench top router table. 15 years ago I built an entire kitchen along with other matching cabinets using a PC 690 router in a benchtop router table. The table was the one Bob Rosendahl (Router Workshop) sold at WW shows. For the raised panels (red oak) I took three passes to do them. I set the fence at the final setting, and clamped two spacers to it. Pass one, remove spacer...pass two, remove spacer...final pass.

I had absolutely NO problem building the whole thing with this router table which was about 15" wide, and 28 or so long. I used a home made fence with 'c' clamps.

My daughter now lives in the house, and the kitchen is holding up just fine.

Rick Potter

Brent Romero
07-14-2012, 4:08 PM
Thanks Guys.