PDA

View Full Version : Supergrit, Klingspor, or ?

phil harold
07-13-2012, 4:44 PM
My supply of sanding discs has dwindled, and locally available 3m, norton, or dewalt discs seem to be rare

What companies do buy from to supply your shop with?

I remember reading an article that compared sanding discs
weighted sander then weighed wood before and after sanding in timed trials
anyone remember where that article was?

thanks!

phil harold
07-13-2012, 4:55 PM
found this:236790

Van Huskey
07-13-2012, 5:08 PM
FWW #222 Dec 2011

"Best Overall" shared by Klingspor VD900 and Norton 3X, the VD900 also got "Best Value" The 3X was very aggressive but the VD900 lasted longer.

I have been using almost exclusively Klingspor for years.

Richard Dragin
07-13-2012, 5:15 PM
I found the Norton 3x gave me a lot of swirl marks so that it lasts a long time didn't matter to me. I have heard only good reports on Klingspore although I have had great success with Indasa Rhyno grips disks. Available from Industrial Abrasives or 2sand.com. I tend to use 100 and 220 with nothing in between and go from table or band saw to stain ready with two grits. I don't buy into the idea that you shouldn't skip grits, that's a fallacy. If I am using an oil finish I follow up with 320 and an Abralon pad. It leaves a wonderfully smooth finish for my chairs and small items that people will touch. For a table top or staining I would stop at 220 and use a different finish.

Steven Hsieh
07-13-2012, 5:16 PM
I don't think how much dust remove is an accurate way to measure it. It does not matter how much is removed, but the results. The result is more important.

glenn bradley
07-13-2012, 5:21 PM
I moved to Norton 3X early on and enjoyed it till I tried some upper-end Klingspor stuff. I have learned that cheap abrasives (not calling Norton 3X cheap, I mean the other stuff) are a false economy. They cost you time and quality; the latter you can recover but, only by spending some more of the former. Better abrasives offer more consistent, predictable results and they actually don't cost much more (if any) if you study on it a bit. I also find that selecting your abrasives is like selecting any other tool. If you just grab whatever is handy and go to work, your results will suffer. A flexible cloth back is good for some things and not for others. Same goes for a heavy cloth backing. Grab a selection of quality stuff and work happy.

Van Huskey
07-13-2012, 5:25 PM
I don't think how much dust remove is an accurate way to measure it. It does not matter how much is removed, but the results. The result is more important.

From their test using a magnifying glass and strong light the determination all the discs did fine, the author saw no reason to apply any sort of grading to the finish. This was based on not skipping discs, if one is a grit skipper the results may be different. If one accepts the finish is equal then the amount removed before the disc is dead and the speed with which it is removed is important, more important to someone that makes money with woodworking though.

Mike Heidrick
07-13-2012, 5:38 PM
I switched to abranet on my ETS 150/3 (have not tried it yet on my 150/5 but I assume it will be perfect as well) and a craftsman shop vac. I really like it.

Rick Lizek
07-13-2012, 6:34 PM
Buy from the rest then buy from the best...www.industrialabrasives.com
Don't put much credence in the hobby mag reviews. Have bought from all the places and the commercial shops I've worked tend to favor Industrial Abrasives...lowest minimum for custom belts also.

Van Huskey
07-13-2012, 6:49 PM
Buy from the rest then buy from the best...www.industrialabrasives.com (http://www.industrialabrasives.com)
Don't put much credence in the hobby mag reviews. Have bought from all the places and the commercial shops I've worked tend to favor Industrial Abrasives...lowest minimum for custom belts also.

Don't count out Klingspor their commercial side supplied (supplies to whats left) a large part of the abrasives to the NC furniture buiness probably the largest concentration of production woodworking in the US and their custom stuff is VERY inexpensive. I have ordered from IA in the past but I came right back to Klingspor, the quality and value were just higher IMHO.

Steven Hsieh
07-13-2012, 6:52 PM
Van

Was this finewoodworking that did this test?

Van Huskey
07-13-2012, 7:03 PM
Van

Correct Fine Woodworking #222 Dec 2011

phil harold
07-13-2012, 8:06 PM
Correct Fine Woodworking #222 Dec 2011

Van

just to set the record straight...

That image was from Wood magazine
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/sanders/sanding-discs/

I have previously bought from both Supergrit and Klingspor but that was a few years ago...

phil harold
07-13-2012, 9:36 PM
Thanks just restocked from Klingspor!

Van Huskey
07-13-2012, 10:54 PM
just to set the record straight...

That image was from Wood magazine
http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/sanders/sanding-discs/

I have previously bought from both Supergrit and Klingspor but that was a few years ago...

He may have been referring to the chart! I didn't think of that I was referring to a different test which had SIMILAR but not the same results.

phil harold
07-13-2012, 11:07 PM
He may have been referring to the chart! I didn't think of that I was referring to a different test which had SIMILAR but not the same results.
Could have been,
the results were close enough for me to buy 500 discs...
thanks for swaying me

Van Huskey
07-13-2012, 11:31 PM
I used to go to Kligspor's retail store in Hickory (the best of the three and in the same building as their commercial side) it is a full line store not just abrasives and love to get the Bargain Box deals, they are cutoffs and CHEAP. Even better if you go into the store you can pick your own out of big bins of rolls and cutoffs etc and you pay by the pound. They do ship the Bargain Boxes.

Bruce Wrenn
07-14-2012, 9:42 PM
A big plus on Klingspor's bargin bins. I buy roll ends that are at least 12 " wide. From these, I cut disks for my 12" disk sander. Spray the back with adhesive and slap them on the sander. Costs me less than $0.50 for a disk.

John Loftis
07-14-2012, 10:24 PM
I wish they had done some comparisons using at least one of the Festool lines of sandapaper (rubin, granat, whatever). I'd be interested to see how it measures up to the other brands. I've been using Granat for the last year and like it a lot, but it would be fun to see an objective comparison.

Jim Andrew
07-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Since I've been using the better discs, sure been going through the velcro pads on my Bosch ros. Klingspor's has some foam pads that you put on the sander, then put the discs on the pad, wish I had bought a dozen. The foam gives up before the velcro does.