PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!

Adrian Hernandez
07-13-2012, 1:14 PM
Hello everyone, :)

I have 60W Chinese laser machine and for the last two years I have not been able to cut 1/4 wood. Therefore, I would like to find out if someone can let me know if this is possible, if so, what are the settings to successfully cut through 1/4 wood :confused:

Sincerely,
Adrian

Mark Sipes
07-13-2012, 2:12 PM
I would start at the highest power setting and a very slow speed......... If that does not work.... It can't be done on your machine. may take 2-3 passes.... but a 60 watt machine should not have a problem.........make sure the lens are aligned and the focus is correct....

Lee DeRaud
07-13-2012, 2:17 PM
What Mark said. I have a 25W machine and cut 1/4" wood* and MDF routinely. It ain't fast, but it's never a problem.

(* Except purpleheart and rosewood...something about the oils apparently.)

walter hofmann
07-13-2012, 2:58 PM
hi adrian
you should make a ramp test, take a piece of your 1/4 inch wood and put it on a slop like something about 1/2 inch on the right side under the wood, than cut a line and see where it cuts thru then easure the distandce from the head lense to this point and this is the distance what you should use for cutting.
maybe your laser tube is allready to week they only run about 1000 hours and depending on the temperatur of the cooling water what sould never be m,ore then 30C and the current what should never be more then 20mA the tube will go down earlier in power.
greetings
walt

George Carlson
07-13-2012, 5:35 PM
Check the optical alignment. There are several nice tutorials and videos on line. My laser started loosing power. It turned out that the several layers of foam that were used to support the tube had crushed. This caused the tube to sit lower in the supports and the alignment went off far enough to prevent high power cutting, even though the lower power engarving and such worked fine. I replaced the foam with some rings I machined from Delrin. It's worked fine since.

Doug Novic
07-14-2012, 9:32 PM
Adrian,

I cut a lot of 1/4" red oak with my 60 watt Chinese headache. Speed at 10, power at 98, three passes.

Adrian Hernandez
07-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Thank you everyone for the tips I will try them all. I was hoping to cut through in one pass.

Doug, How are the edges after the three passes??

Doug Novic
07-15-2012, 2:01 PM
Adrian,

Scorched.

Steven Cox
07-16-2012, 4:02 AM
Hi Adrian, I'd be checking the output of your tube/Power supply because you should be able to cut 1/4 inch timber with ease. I have a 60 watt Chinese machine and cut 5mm bamboo ply which is very dense at 95% power and 8mm per second cutting speed one pass. I can also cut 19mm thick pine (3/4 inch) at the 3mm per second one pass.

Regards Steve

Adrian Hernandez
07-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Thank you Steven,

I will try your settings and see what happens

I was able to cut 1/4" in two passes at 25 speed/ 35 power

Regards
Adrian