PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a Recommendation For A Liquid Rub Down Wax

Ed Hazel
07-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Anyone use a liquid rubdown wax? My wax in a can keeps getting contaminated, dried out ect.

David Hawxhurst
07-13-2012, 9:58 AM
are you just waxing something that has a film finish on it? if thats the case i do sometimes. i use carnauba moose wax by clearkote also looks really good on red color cars.

Prashun Patel
07-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Automotive waxes are sometimes liquid based. I've used one from Mequiars to reasonable effect. However, it's white and will dry into corners unhappily.

I'm not sure what contaminated wax is, but if it's just drying out, you can either add a little mineral spirits to it, or (even better IMHO), wet your application rag with mineral spirits before dipping into the can. I read an article in FWW that recommended doing this. I recently tried spritzing a little ms on a piece of steel wool before applying, and I put a little to much on. This caused the wax to go on like a thin liquid. Honestly, it was the best experience. It went on so evenly and buffed off so easily. Happy accident.

Scott Holmes
07-13-2012, 3:08 PM
Mineral Spirits is a solvent for waxes.

Make sure the car wax is free of silcones... they make refinishing a real pain.

glenn bradley
07-13-2012, 3:15 PM
I would review your storage method / location (I keep my shellac in the house for example). I use a can of Johnson's frequently throughout the year; open, closed, open, closed. I have never had a can dry out and they sometimes last a year-plus. Now, if you use your wax 3 times a year and the can is 5 years old, all bets are off :D. Funny, LOML claims the same thing about her super-glue for her mails; her tubes dry out in a month and I use the same type of tube till its gone???

phil harold
07-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Make sure the car wax is free of silcones... they make refinishing a real pain.
when refinishing I just expect there to be some silicone fisheyes
so I just use Marson Smoothie
cheap insurance!

Howard Acheson
07-14-2012, 10:34 AM
>>>> Automotive waxes are sometimes liquid based.

Automotive waxes and polishes frequently contain silicone. Silicone is a contaminate to most lacquer, waterborne and oil based finishes. Silicone can significantly contribute to difficulties when trying to refinish an item.

Howard Acheson
07-14-2012, 10:40 AM
>>>> when refinishing I just expect there to be some silicone fisheyes

Not a good idea. That product and other fisheye removers are PURE SILICONE. They work by making the finish into one big fisheye. The downside is that any surface that the overspray lands on will become contaminated. Spray guns, power tools, stored wood will all become contaminated and be almost impossible to clean up.

phil harold
07-14-2012, 12:52 PM
>>>> when refinishing I just expect there to be some silicone fisheyes

Not a good idea. That product and other fisheye removers are PURE SILICONE. They work by making the finish into one big fisheye. The downside is that any surface that the overspray lands on will become contaminated. Spray guns, power tools, stored wood will all become contaminated and be almost impossible to clean up.
Silicone is part of life
deal with it

John Coloccia
07-14-2012, 1:00 PM
Silicone is part of life
deal with it

I deal with it by keeping it out of my shop.

John Walkowiak
07-16-2012, 6:39 PM
I use and have great results with Watco Satin Finishing Wax. It comes in light and dark for ---light and dark woods. Goes on easily, comes off easily and doesn't smudge or leave finger prints. It has never dried out in the can for me. I go over the surface with 4 0000 steel wool before applying it. Try it, I think you will like it.