PDA

View Full Version : Holy Rolley Bowl

David DeCristoforo
07-12-2012, 6:38 PM
When I mounted this on the lathe, I had no idea what I was going for. I just thought I'd see what came out of it. A while back I was trying a sphere, my first, and it was going pretty well until the top third suddenly vanished. The wood was a strange found burl with a lot of bark inclusion in it and the top of the sphere separated where the bark was. So I made it into a small "rolly bowl". When I started cutting into this piece, that's what came out. This is the remainder of the burl I made the "Kelleresque" hollow form out of. And the best part is that the top third was already missing!

This is one of those things where you appreciate the suffix "ish". It's roundish...

Steve Vaughan
07-12-2012, 7:25 PM
Pretty neat, love the color and grain of it all. It is roundish and I'd say very coolish!

Sean Hughto
07-12-2012, 7:36 PM
Cool! How big is it?

Michelle Rich
07-13-2012, 5:42 AM
?????hmmmm..maybe a different picture???? the wood is rather fascinating

Bill Hensley
07-13-2012, 6:21 AM
I like it just fine, wood and all. This is almost identicalish to our 'official' chocolate stash bowl we keep in the kitchen. I made ours from box elder.

Steve Schlumpf
07-13-2012, 7:35 AM
Cool form! I like the combination of elements; sphere, bark, natural edge, finished edge, as well as the variety of colors! Is the foot area concave?

Thomas Bennett
07-13-2012, 8:35 AM
I really like it. The shape is pure and simple. The "roly" element make it a fun peice. Well dune!

Tim Rinehart
07-13-2012, 10:31 AM
I like it just fine, wood and all. This is almost identicalish to our 'official' chocolate stash bowl we keep in the kitchen. I made ours from box elder.

Ummm, chocolate stash bowl. Shouldn't have told me that Bill...I'll know where to look when we make our visit!

David DeCristoforo
07-13-2012, 5:34 PM
How big is it?

Nineish

Is the foot area concave?

The "foot area" is round.....

"...chocolate stash bowl..."

Chocolate.... OK... let's make a trade. I'll put something in my bowl and trade it for what's in yours...

Kathy Marshall
07-14-2012, 12:18 AM
Great looking bowl David! The wood is really cool and I love the shape and the NE edge.
And you say you don't turn bowls ;)

Bill Hensley
07-14-2012, 6:34 AM
Chocolate.... OK... let's make a trade. I'll put something in my bowl and trade it for what's in yours...

hmmm, I'm tempted since I've picked all the dark chocolate out.

Marc Himes
07-14-2012, 2:48 PM
Interesting form and really great wood. It looks like you got it quite thin. Nice work.