PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Built-in Project: Master Closet

Frederick Gross
07-12-2012, 5:14 PM
Below are a couple of photos of the master closest I recently completed. I used pre-finished maple plywood for the carcass and made face frames out of stained birch. The closet is 10' x 12' and the built in dressers have Blum soft-close undermount glides. The right side of the closet is a mirror of the design in the second photo.

Learned alot during the process and going to concentrate on a couple of smaller projects next.

Mark Valsi
07-12-2012, 7:50 PM
Nice work, looks great !

Paul Pearson
07-12-2012, 8:46 PM
Fine looking job!

Paul Cahill
07-12-2012, 9:05 PM
Nice job. I like the clean lines. I hope you are not going to tell us it is that neat all the time:D

Paul

Doug Swanson
07-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Very nice. We're looking at redoing our master closet as well (just the single wire pole in there now). Can you tell me how tall and deep the units are? Did you build them in place or are they seperate units you tilted into place? I have a feeling after smbo takes a look at your project I'm going to get a new top item on my list :).

Thanks
Doug

Frederick Gross
07-13-2012, 1:35 PM
Doug,

IIRC correctly the depth is 13" from the face frame to the backwall of the box. The lower ones on the back wall are 86" high for double hanging and the ones above are approx. 21" tall. The side ones are approx 75" high for long hanging and the small cubbies above them are around 10" high. The uppermost are approx. 21" high as well. I can get exact dimensions for you if you like.

I built them as seperate units in the garage and then moved them into the closet. The face frame was applied after I had all the boxes in place. I used a method that was in a an issue of FWW where there is a slot milled into the edge of the box and on the back of the face frame; then splines are utilized to help line things up and secure the faceframes to the carcass.

The dressers were built as whole units in the garage and then slid into place.

Gordon Eyre
07-13-2012, 4:31 PM
Wow, that looks great. Good job!

Doug Swanson
07-13-2012, 5:02 PM
Thanks! Couple of more questions...What thickness plywood did you use for the sides and back? and for the units in your pictures approximately how many sheets of plywood did you use?

I have a feeling I may be doing some project design/estimating this weekend.

Thanks again.
Doug

Frederick Gross
07-13-2012, 5:51 PM
I used 3/4" plywood for the side and 1/2" for the backs. It took (16) sheets of 3/4" plywood and (10) sheets of 1/2". The closet is 9' tall so if your ceilings are lower, you maybe able to get by with less. In hindsight, I could have made them shallower (I measured and the depth is 12 3/4" not counting the face frame) to get more out of a sheet, but the missus didn't like the hanging rods that close to the face.

Even with using a little extra material, we were way cheaper (less than 1/2) than going with one of the closet/garage/pantry organizer companies and I think this turned out alot nicer. I know the boss thinks so.

P.S. This doesn't include the materials for the dressers.

Paul Sikorski
07-15-2012, 9:24 AM
Wow! Great work well done Sir