PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo! Added a new family member!

Mark Ross
07-12-2012, 4:56 PM
She arrived today, we placed her next to her 6 year old brother whose has two nickanmes... lucky and old smokey. Lucky has had several small fires over the years. We have always caught them in time. She sure is purty, all sparkly and new...Old smoky, he don't "breathe" so well all the time any more, we have to keep scraping his lung pipes. He sure is getting ugly as he ages, he takes after his poppa.

All kidding aside though, we have bought a brand new 36EXT to go next to our 6 year old 36 ext. The Pros?

1. Same machine, commonality of service parts. Less in house tech training to troubleshoot / repair.
2. Same user interfaces, no new operator training.
3. Pretty good mean time between failure and the MTBF would be even better if I had time to do a silly little thing called "preventative maintenance".
4. We are in the USA, never more than a day away from a needed repair part.
5. USA based tech support, we don't call and get "Thank you for calling, dis is peggy..."
6. Unpacked, installed, and up and running in less than one hour.
7. No surprises. A well designed machine that has really great packing. No surprises uncrating it.

The Cons?

1. Way more expensive than a Chinese laser.
2. Now I have two machine to take care of.

I don't know how the economy is for everyone else, but we just became a right to work state this year and we have almost doubled the number of full time factory employees. Our sales on all our products (lasers are just a very small part of what we do) are way way up. This 36 EXT is a 75 watter, old smoky is a lowly 45W. Based on our estimates right out of the shoot, baby girl is already booked at 65% capacity 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. We ran the numbers all sorts of ways and it just made more fiscal sense to buy a second machine than add a second shift for laser work only.

Scott Shepherd
07-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Congratulations Mark! That's great that business is so good for you. We did the same thing, except switched brands. We added a 75W Trotec to our 45W Universal. The wattage difference will make all the difference in the world. You'll be kicking yourself for running the 45W for so long.

Come on Epilog, at LEAST chance the paint color ever 5 or 6 years!

Enjoy the 75W. You'll soon find yourself shuffling everything to the new machine :)

Mike Null
07-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Glad to hear business is booming. I want a new 75 watt so bad I can taste it but it's not in the cards at the moment.

Chuck Stone
07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Glad to hear business is booming. I want a new 75 watt so bad I can taste it but it's not in the cards at the moment.

LOL .. hell, I'd take an old 45. And I'm sure someone would take my old 30.
.... "till I met a man who had no feet" and all of that..

Jeff Belany
07-13-2012, 2:58 PM
WOW! enough work for 10 hours a day, 6 days a week? Up here in the middle of nowhere I'd be happy with a fraction of that. With the current economy I have everything I can do to keep the doors open. The new Wisconsin ATV plates have been the best seller I've had in awhile. Keep hoping things will get better and who knows, maybe it will improve. Sure hope so.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Mike vonBuelow
07-13-2012, 10:19 PM
<<< jealous

Congrats!

Craig Matheny
07-14-2012, 4:24 PM
Congrats we are looking into buying a second mini from Epilog this will be a 60watt. Once we expanded the store in May sales have almost doubled from last year so we should have the unit in the next few months. Great to hear others are seeing things pick up.