PDA

View Full Version : new guy from Buffalo

Paul Sikorski
07-12-2012, 1:34 PM
Hello Everyone, Im new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I have been a woodworking hobbyist for about 15 years. I have a nice shop set up in my basement and a couple tools (planer, thickness sander) That are just to darn messy for the basement so they live in the garage. I build little projects here and there for family and friends. I got a couple projects in the works for end of summer. I'll try and post some pics of things Ive done. Take Care and Be Safe.

Bill White
07-12-2012, 1:39 PM
Well, welcome. Now ya have to send ALL of us some wings ( as in hot wings ). We'll send you our addresses ASAP.
Bill

Carl Beckett
07-12-2012, 1:59 PM
Welcome Paul!

A quick question - how many bandsaws do you own??

Paul Sikorski
07-12-2012, 2:00 PM
We do have amazing wings here and hey you ever find yourself in Buffalo I'll get you best wings and fries youve ever had.

Paul Sikorski
07-12-2012, 2:02 PM
I have 2 one for wodworking (13inch Laguna actually the capacitor just blew so its not running right now) and a haror frieght horizontal for cutting metal.

Sam Layton
07-12-2012, 2:51 PM
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Creek. It is a pleasure to meet you. One thing we like, and that is photo's.

Sam

Myk Rian
07-12-2012, 3:48 PM
One thing we like, and that is photo's.
Or you're likely to get something like this:

gary Zimmel
07-12-2012, 9:07 PM
Welcome to the Creek Paul. Good to have you aboard..

frank shic
07-12-2012, 9:24 PM
hope to see some projects soon. welcome!

Mike Heidrick
07-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the creek.

Van Huskey
07-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the Creek!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the Creek Paul! Wade on in.....the water's fine!

ed vitanovec
07-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Welcome Paul! I was just in your city 3 weeks ago on my way to Canada, wished I new about the wings. I did get to shop at the Rockler store, nice store and employees....did get to see a live demo of the CNC Shark.

Paul Sikorski
07-13-2012, 7:39 AM
236766Thank You for the warm welcome Guys. Ed, I was just in there the other day (my parents live close to that store) I saw the aftermath but didnt catch the demo that is one cool tool. I have thought of trying to build one myself you can get the motors and drive on ebay. If only work would stop interfering with my creative time. Everytime I see one all I can think about is carving up the panels for kitchen cabinets. Here is a pic of my Kitchen table I did for the house. As a woodworker I hope someday to have my house be filled with only my creations and hopefully they will fill my kids with memories when they get them.

John Coloccia
07-13-2012, 7:57 AM
We do have amazing wings here and hey you ever find yourself in Buffalo I'll get you best wings and fries youve ever had.

Buffalo's a cool little city, and the wings are OK, but my favorite thing about Buffalo is: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Welcome :)

Sam Layton
07-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Paul,

That is sure a good looking table. I wish I had room in my kitchen for a table that size. A dining room table is on my list....

Sam

Mike Palmowski
07-13-2012, 1:17 PM
HI Paul,
I too reside in Buffalo (Hamburg) and have been trying to find a new hardwood dealer. I got the chance to meet Dave from Buffalo Forest Products today and he seamed nice and I am planning on doing some business with him. I have also purchased from thruway plywood and Advantage trim and lumber. Who do you recommend for Domestic hardwood in WNY?

Paul Sikorski
07-13-2012, 3:50 PM
HI Mike, Nice to meet someone in the area. Most of what I have used I bought from the portville forest auction a couple years ago and have just recently gone through it. I have just started to look myself. I still have a fair amount of Maple and Cherry but have a project for a friend coming that would take me about 200 bf of Pine. Not sure if you have been to the portville forest auction but I think they may have closed up shop I tried calling and the number is disconnected. I have pretty much been searching craigslist trying to find a good deal. I got a guy quoting me now. I did purchase some oak from Thruways hardwood and plywood my brothers friend worked there at the time the quality of the wood was great. never dealt with BFP before did you go to there shop or just speak with Dave? How was there pricing? If I run across anything Ill drop you a line. Im always looking.

frank shic
07-13-2012, 4:15 PM
nice, sturdy looking table!

Paul Sikorski
07-13-2012, 5:03 PM
Thanks Sam and Frank. My wife was happy with it so I'm happy to. Builging the frame was actually easy. Flattening the top was tough. I could of done a better job prepping and glueing the top. Needless to say a lot of marking and sanding. In retropect I think it would have been a better idea to use a handplane to knock down the high spots then sand to finish. But nothings worth doing if I don't learn something doing it.

John TenEyck
07-13-2012, 5:36 PM
Hello Buffalo woodworkers; I'm up in Lewiston. As you know, not only are the wings great in Buffalo, but so is the Beef on Weck so, you out-of-towners, be sure to try both when you visit/pass thru. Anyway, I mill most of my lumber (fun, but hard work), but occassionally have to buy wood, too. There's a guy who advertises on Craigslist in Forestville. Can't remember his name at the moment, and I have never met him actually. But I've corresponded with him and some friends have bought from him and said it was a good deal and he was good to work with. He has all kinds of woods at really good prices, some KD some AD, and you can pick through it from what I understand.

John

Paul Sikorski
07-13-2012, 10:40 PM
Hi John, Nice to meet another woodworker from the area. If you run across that guys ad if you could please pass it on. Thanks

John TenEyck
07-14-2012, 2:31 PM
Hi John, Nice to meet another woodworker from the area. If you run across that guys ad if you could please pass it on. Thanks

Paul, here's the last ad. I saw from him. You should be able to send him an E-mail and ask if he has what you're looking for.

John

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/3084219400.html

Mike Palmowski
07-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Paul, I went to BFP warehouse, nice place and even nicer people, but they are expensive, actually about a dollar more a b/f than Advantage on the qtr. sawn oak I need. If you are ever in need of any plywood I highly recommend DM plywood on Seneca st.

John, thanks for the lead on the guy in Forestville I am going to give him a call.