PDA

View Full Version : finish for a walnut/cherry bathroom vanity top

William Hamilton
07-12-2012, 9:48 AM
Hi all,
I'm building a live edge top for a vanity in our master bath. The flitch is walnut, and I'll be adding a 6" wide piece of cherry in the middle, extending the entire length of the slab. I plan on edge joining the cherry with a spring joint.
There is some checking in the slab. I am doing some butterflies, and will also be filling the checks with a clear resin.
I plan on using waterlox original for the finish and doing 4-6 coats. I have had great results using waterlox on other projects like coffee tables and kitchen counters, but have yet to build anything for use in a bathroom environment. I like the satin, hand-rubbed look and would like the vanity to have the same appearance.
Will waterlox suffice as long as I do enough coats? Also, do I need to be wary of what glue I use for the joining? I was going to use titebond I or III.
The vanity is getting a vessel sink..
Thanks,
Bill

Rich Engelhardt
07-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Will waterlox suffice as long as I do enough coats?
Waterlox thinks it's the perfect solution, so, - yes - provided you follow their directions for finishing.
http://www.waterlox.com/project-help/

Give em a call or email them.

David Hawxhurst
07-12-2012, 11:31 AM
i would use titebond III. but then again thats all i ever use, almost i do have epoxy for some things. don't use epoxy with wood that often, but i have.

Steve Reeps
07-13-2012, 3:14 PM
There is a great article in FWW that covers applying Waterlox by wet sanding in 2 of the 4 or 5 coats with 400 grit. That is what I did on my vanity top (walnut). Came out beautiful.

William Hamilton
03-04-2013, 4:38 PM
I got around to finishing that bathroom and finally took some pics of the results. Here they are.. 256071256072256073

John TenEyck
03-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Beautiful finish. Avant garde, to be sure, but the finish is beautiful.

John