PDA

View Full Version : farewell 18" jet band saw......

Joseph Tarantino
07-11-2012, 10:14 AM
hello rikon 10-340 18” band saw.

i was contacted on another forum by a member there who was thinking of selling his 2005 rikon 10-340. the price was right, i decided to sell the jet and buy the rikon.

within 2 weeks of the decision, a CL buyer emerged and friday saw the jet hauled away by a young, well intentioned newbie. he did, however, get a by now well functioning band saw that was practically spotless.

with cash in hand, sunday saw a 70 minute round trip and this new to me 10-340 safely in my driveway. relative to the jet, it has 1/2hp more power (total of 2 hp), 2” more resaw capacity (total of 12”), 2 speed operation, a tension release lever, and it's 5 years newer. i even have enough money left over after the switch to pay for a new mobile base if the new saw turns out to be too heavy for the htc base it’s sitting on now (which came with the jet as part of it's $40 CL purchase price). or get some good blades from iturra. it slid into the space between the RAS and the DC vacated by the jet like it belonged there with no changes necessary to the surrounding tools. all in all, a really good tool weekend.

Mike Cutler
07-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Congrat's on your "new" band saw.
I bought the Rikon 10-340 when it first came out, and other than an apparently unique to me tracking issue, which I fixed, it has been a great saw.
I set it up to resaw when I first got it, and haven't had to readjust it yet. Pull the tension arm lever, check the tracking and go. I've put some pretty heavy duty material through mine. Most notably a 10"x12" 8' long Hickory log, and lots of jatoba.

It's a nice saw. I hope you like yours as much as I do mine.

Joseph Tarantino
07-11-2012, 2:25 PM
thanks. i believe it will be a significant step up from the 18" jet it replaced.

Larry Gipson
07-11-2012, 7:24 PM
Congratulations! I've been impressed by the Rikon bandsaws I've seen.

I think I see a space there for more tools though :-)

My Jet 18 left yesterday. Someone wanted it for cutting metal. Oh well. I hope it performs well for him.

Larry

Joseph Tarantino
07-12-2012, 7:39 AM
metal cutting? what model was your jet?