PDA

View Full Version : Need a Dado blade recomendation...

Matthew Curtis
07-11-2012, 9:28 AM
Looking to buy a new dado blade. The old one is old and in rough shape. It was a cheapie anyways so I thought I would look into buying a new one. I was hoping that a few of the folks here would have some recomendations on a new one.

Thanks

Greg Bender
07-11-2012, 9:39 AM
Matt,
I had the Freud 8" super dado and just bought a 12" cabinet saw with a 1" arbor so I had to mreplace the dado set so I bought the freud 10" super dado. It is a heck of a dado set.Flat bottom dados and with the extra chipper and the shim set I can deal with any thickness of plywood. There are alot of choices ,Freud, Amana,Infinity to name a few but the freud just does the job well.
Good luck on your choice,
Greg

Jamie Buxton
07-11-2012, 10:05 AM
I've been using a Freud SD206 for at least fifteen years. It works well -- small bat ears, not much splintering. On a Unisaw, the six inch blade diameter gives a maximum depth of an inch. That's as much as I've ever needed.

Ellen Benkin
07-11-2012, 10:05 AM
I love my 6" Freud set. I have never needed a larger size and it comes in a nifty carrying case with the Freud lifetime guarantee. One of my blades chipped and I sent the set off to Freud and think I got a new set in return.

Jeff Duncan
07-11-2012, 10:12 AM
The Freud's a pricey set...but it really does a fantastic job. If your budget allows it I'd go for it.

good luck,
JeffD

Bill White
07-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Look on the _Bay for any Onsrud offerings. If they are still available, jump on one.
Bill

Rich Engelhardt
07-11-2012, 10:29 AM
It would help a lot to know what price range you're thinking of.
My SD206 ran me $79.00 at Lowes a few years ago.
While it's a decent set, I hear more good about the DeWalt set that's a little more ~ $105.00 and the Oshlun set that's less ~ $66.00.

Or are you thinking of going whole hog w/something like a Forrest or Freud Super Dado? ~$200.00 and up.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-11-2012, 10:56 AM
As Rich stated, understanding your budget might be useful.... I recently dumped my previous set for a set from Forrest Dado King, which is certainly one of the top sets available. I would be hard pressed to buy anything else. Many agree

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?188207-Forrest-Dado-King

Note that although the iniitial poster returned his Oshlun, some like it and it is significantly less expensive

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?105359-The-Oshlun-Dado-Set!

To quote from Gordon in this post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168291-Stack-dado-blades

Woodworkers Journal tested many of the current list of stacked dado blades and gave top marks to Amana, Freud and Infinity when all things were considered (including price). The Forrest dado king would come out on top if price were no object; however, it sells for close to $300 where the others are closer to $200. I do own the Forrest set and have nothing but praise for it.

I would also expect excellent results from Tenru and Infinity.

If you look around on this forum, you will see that many people use (and like) their Freud set. The Freud is less expensive than the Forrest Dado King.

Just make sure that you can use the Dado set that you purchase on your saw. Before I knew better, I purchased a 10" DADO set for my 10" table saw. Seems that a 10" set is too much to swing for most 10" saws, so now I own an 8" set. A 6" set will not give you the depth of cut, but will probably cut as deep as you are likely to want to DADO, and it will weigh less (so you will not stress the motor as much or the arbor bolt... well, I guess that is probably true, and more spinning mass will probably produce fewer variations, not that I ever heard anyone say that wlil matter).

I considered the variable Freud Dado set, but it seems that it will NOT work on my SawStop.... Or was that my previous saw it would not work on. Hmmm. The important point is that you also need to make sure it will work on your saw.

Sorry for the long winded comments.

Van Huskey
07-11-2012, 11:54 AM
If you budget allows I would get the Dado King but there are plenty of good choices from about $100 up. What is your budget?

Kent A Bathurst
07-11-2012, 12:30 PM
If you budget allows I would get the Dado King ..........

Yep. Cry once. My set is ~12 years old. Still cuts perfectly. I only use Forrest factory sharpening, FWIW - don't want to start that argument for the nth time, though. :p

Normally, I would make the observation that I'd guess I could have gotten by just fine with the 6" set, v my 8" set - but Forrest has the 8" "on sale" for only $10 more than the 6"....which is still two-sixty. As noted....cry once.

Van Huskey
07-11-2012, 1:10 PM
Normally, I would make the observation that I'd guess I could have gotten by just fine with the 6" set, v my 8" set - but Forrest has the 8" "on sale" for only $10 more than the 6"....which is still two-sixty. As noted....cry once.

The only time I really have used the capacity of my 8" sets is when using a sled, however given the cost difference between them the only way I would get a 6" set is if I had a low HP table saw or I got a massively good deal on a 6" vs an 8".

Jefferey Scott
07-11-2012, 1:11 PM
Forrest Dado King here also. Cuts perfect cross cuts with no tear out in plywood. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Sam Blanchard
07-11-2012, 1:36 PM
I've had really good cuts with my Infinity Dadonator and recommend it with no reservations. Flat bottoms and clean shoulders. I'm not sure about pricing, but they do go on sale every now and again.

Stew Hagerty
07-11-2012, 1:58 PM
+1 on a Freud Super Dado. I've used a SD508 For a long time now and love it. I was planning on getting the 6" but the 8" happened to be on sale for the same price when I went to buy it. And since then I have used it to notch out a few things that the 6" would not have been able to do, so I'm glad I had the larger size.

Matthew Curtis
07-11-2012, 3:37 PM
staying around $100 would be good

Cary Falk
07-11-2012, 3:43 PM
staying around $100 would be good
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7670-8-Inch-24-Tooth-Stacked/dp/B0002ZU6X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342035754&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+dado

Ron Jones near Indy
07-11-2012, 4:15 PM
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7670-8-Inch-24-Tooth-Stacked/dp/B0002ZU6X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342035754&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+dado

I have this one; got it from Woodcraft a few years ago. Smooth bottoms with sharp corners compared the the Freud I had used before. Easy to use too.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-11-2012, 4:39 PM
Here is the Oshlun Dado. Never used it, but did provide a link to someone who mentioned it in a previous post in this thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012YF25Q

scott spencer
07-11-2012, 6:29 PM

+2 ...this is the best bang for the buck in the $100 range IMHO. Great blade, nice case, nice shim stock.

Van Huskey
07-11-2012, 7:09 PM
AT the $100 range the Dewalt or Freud 208 would be my choice.

Bruce Wrenn
07-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Here in shop, I have Freud SD-208, Freud 8" Safety Dado, Freud Dial a Width and Forrest Dado King. The 208 gets the most use. Lowes is currently getting rid of the CMT 8" set, which is almost if not identical to the Freud SD-208. Prices are down to about $40 now. In addition to Onsruds, the DeWalt for about $100 gets great reviews.

Van Huskey
07-12-2012, 2:23 AM
Here in shop, I have Freud SD-208, Freud 8" Safety Dado, Freud Dial a Width and Forrest Dado King. The 208 gets the most use. Lowes is currently getting rid of the CMT 8" set, which is almost if not identical to the Freud SD-208. Prices are down to about $40 now. In addition to Onsruds, the DeWalt for about $100 gets great reviews.

If your local Lowes has the CMT even close to $40 I would get it, it looks exactly like the 208 even in the same carrier, just black insted of Freud red.

Rod Sheridan
07-16-2012, 9:16 AM
I have an FS Tools set, excellent.................Regards, Rod.

David Hostetler
07-16-2012, 1:56 PM
I have the Oshlun 6" Dado (1.5HP saw) and it does a great job, flat bottoms, very clean cuts, super adjustable with the chippers and shims. I am very happy with this set. Got it at Rockler a few years ago, I was ready to spring for the Freud, but am happy I got this one. I would assume the 8" would be about the same...

Mark W Pugh
07-16-2012, 10:17 PM
OK, is there any difference in these two dados, besides the width?

Freud SD506 6-Inch Super Dado Set with Anti-Kickback Design http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SD506-6-Inch-Anti-Kickback-Design/dp/B0000223OB/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1342491965&sr=1-7&keywords=freud+dado+blade+set
Freud SD508 Super Dado 8-Inch Stack Dado http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SD508-Super-8-Inch-Stack/dp/B00004RK0P/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1342492143&sr=1-2&keywords=freud+dado+blade+set
And, assuming my machine can turn the 8", what would you recommend? Too many choices, not enough brain bites.

Thanks.

Stephen Cherry
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
I've got the 10" Forrest dado king. Works great.

scott spencer
07-17-2012, 5:07 AM
OK, is there any difference in these two dados, besides the width?

Freud SD506 6-Inch Super Dado Set with Anti-Kickback Design http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SD506-6-Inch-Anti-Kickback-Design/dp/B0000223OB/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1342491965&sr=1-7&keywords=freud+dado+blade+set
Freud SD508 Super Dado 8-Inch Stack Dado http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SD508-Super-8-Inch-Stack/dp/B00004RK0P/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1342492143&sr=1-2&keywords=freud+dado+blade+set
And, assuming my machine can turn the 8", what would you recommend? Too many choices, not enough brain bites.

Thanks.

In that price range I'd go with neither....the Infinity Dadonator (http://www.infinitytools.com/DADO-SAW-BLADES-DADONATOR/products/1194/) offers a great design with similar precision machining and more teeth on the chippers. It's a superb set. I'd go with the 8" if your saw will handle it, and the $20 doesn't pinch. Ya never know when the extra 2" will come in handy.

Mark W Pugh
07-19-2012, 5:02 PM
.... I'd go with the 8" if your saw will handle it, and the $20 doesn't pinch. Ya never know when the extra 2" will come in handy.

OK, last question. I have an older Craftsman 113 series saw. It has a 2 hp motor, I'm assuming it will handle an 8" dado. Thoughts? Thanks

Michael Roland
07-19-2012, 5:17 PM
If your local Lowes has the CMT even close to $40 I would get it, it looks exactly like the 208 even in the same carrier, just black insted of Freud red.

Some of the Lowes stores now have the CMT sets marked down to $15.00.

Hunter A Keller
07-19-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow. If I see CMT sets for $15 I'm buying every one they have. That said, I read reviews of both the DeWalt and Oshlun and people really seem to like them. So, for under $100, they seem to be a good value.

Wayne Jolly
08-03-2012, 3:15 PM
I actually now have three dado sets. I bought two of them directly, and the third came with a PM66 that I bought. Here is my opinions about them:

Forrest Dado King - This was the sharpest of the lot. Even though I was being careful when setting out all the baldes when I got it, I still managed to slice the crap outta my finger getting one of the chippers out of the "case". How does it work?? If I want a REALLY crisp flat-bottomed dado that is also smooth bottomed with little, or in most cases NO, chipping on the edges, this is my goto set.

Freud SD508 - This is my latest addition and came with the PM66. I have not done any side-by-side comparisons with the Forrest, but I think the Forrest is juuuuuuust a tad crisper. However, the Freud still leaves fine, flat-bottomed, assembly ready dadoes and in my opinion you can't go wrong with it. Now you might be noticing that I am comparing a second hand Freud to a new Forrest, but when I got the Frued it was clear that if the set had been used at all it was only a time or two. It was clean and a visual inspection did not show any defects either in the carbides, and not even a scratch or smudge in the printing on the blade plates. Even the inside of the case was clean as a whistle. The whole thing looked brand new.

Freud SD208 - This was my first dado set and it did an ok job for a long time. It is a little difficult to compare to the others since for almost all of it's life it was used on a Craftsman contractors saw. The arbor was slightly undersized and it took me quite a while to find out how to get flat-bottomed cuts with it. Despite having two of the top rated dado sets on the market, this one is a keeper too. But it is now relegated to those dadoes that I need to make in "junk" wood. You know the kind. You just want to make a whatzit so you go out and find a piece of scrap 2x4 that has been laying in the dirt for a while.

If I had to decide between the Forrest and the Freud, I think I would give the nod to the Forrest. I hate to say this, but I think the main reason is probably because I paid $220 for it and the Freud was kinda-sorta free (I had already paid for the PM66 and then the guy said "you may as well take this too."). But if something happened to the Forrest I would be quite happy with the Freud.

Wayne

Clifford Betterley
08-03-2012, 10:36 PM
I know this isn't my thread but I want to thank you all anyway for the info and your opinions. It really helps a new guy like me get a feel for what to look for in a "good" dado set, unlike the low end set that I currently use!!!

David Kumm
08-03-2012, 10:54 PM
I would caution that before you decide on the diameter of the dado you look hard at the arbor assembly. An 8" full width dado is not only much heavier to spin but the cut puts lots more strain on the trunnion assembly. The larger diameter might give a little better cut due to tip speed but if a 6" gives you the depth and you are running a contractor or lighter type saw, it would be the safe bet. Dave

Rick Fisher
08-04-2012, 12:06 AM
I have the FS tool 8" set as well.. Spectacular.

Andrew Pitonyak
08-04-2012, 2:49 AM
I know this isn't my thread but I want to thank you all anyway for the info and your opinions. It really helps a new guy like me get a feel for what to look for in a "good" dado set, unlike the low end set that I currently use!!!

I often feel that way and am surprised how often I pick-up some cool trick or bit of knowledge I never expected. Oh, and welcome to the forum Clifford!

Scott Vigder
08-04-2012, 3:22 PM
I was fortunate and found the Freud on sale on Amazon at half price (total $98 with free shipping) and can't say enough good things about it. I use Forrest WWII's for all my other sawing.