PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with the Miller Dowel System?

Tom Pritchard
04-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Just wondering if anyone has used the Miller Doweling System, and if you would be willing to share your experience and recommendation. I am considering it for a very special bookcase that I'm starting. The system can be seen here:

Miller Dowel System (http://www.millerdowel.com/)

Thanks, as always, for any help provided.

Ellen Benkin
04-07-2005, 11:54 AM
I used it for a project and found it as easy to use as advertised. The results are terrific! It looks like I used a "regular" dowel. I have no negative comments.

Tim Sproul
04-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Yup.

It works quite well and is VERY easy joinery. I'd surmise it is a modern twist on one of the oldest joinery methods - nailing.

With the 1x and 2x sizes....slow down the bit as you get to the larger steps. Avoid any knots since the cutter/bit will grab the knot and likely damage your work. You can bore through knots but you have to be much more careful. And knots tend to have a lot less flexibility and so increase any risk of splitting.

After boring out the hole, I go back and bore out again to remove as many chips as I can. You don't have to get all the chips/dust out...just most.

Terre Hooks
04-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Heads up if any of you use this-

I was at the Birmingham, AL Woodcraft store yesterday. They were going through their list of 50% "Clearance" items.

Next thing I knew, the guy had thrown about 6 packs of Miller Dowels (I wanna say the "medium" size- the size I think I would use for most everything) in the cart for 50% off. But he said it was Cherry and Red Oak varieties only.

Those Cherry dowels would look good on some Walnut end tables, I thought.

T h e y w e r e a l s o p u t t i n g C a b i n e t M a s t e r s o n 50% off. :eek: :eek:

Steve Clardy
04-07-2005, 2:05 PM
Heads up if any of you use this-

I was at the Birmingham, AL Woodcraft store yesterday. They were going through their list of 50% "Clearance" items.

Next thing I knew, the guy had thrown about 6 packs of Miller Dowels (I wanna say the "medium" size- the size I think I would use for most everything) in the cart for 50% off. But he said it was Cherry and Red Oak varieties only.

Those Cherry dowels would look good on some Walnut end tables, I thought.

T h e y w e r e a l s o p u t t i n g C a b i n e t M a s t e r s o n 50% off. :eek: :eek:

I've looked at those miller dowel setups. Looks good. But I haven't found a use for them yet.
Cabinet masters on sale??? Cool. But I really don't need any more.:(

RichMagnone
04-07-2005, 2:14 PM
At the Chicago Woodworking show, I spoke to the kid who developed these. He indicated that Rockler and Woodcraft wanted him to get rid of his systems that are packaged in the "bags" so that they could begin putting the new boxed packaging on the shelfs. He indicated that this was the reason that the bags were cheaper than the boxes at the show. I would assume that the clearance prices you saw are from much the same logic... if he was not puffing.

Richard Wolf
04-07-2005, 6:16 PM
I have used the Miller dowels a few times with great results. I think they are one more option to fast assemble with biscuits and pocket screws. One heads up, when you drill into the second board some times I have got drilling chips between the two boards which must be cleaned out or you will never get the joint tight.

Richard

Brian Buckley
04-07-2005, 7:15 PM
Tom,

I have used them quite a bit. They are easy to use and are very strong. I have used contrasting wood types with good results.
While visiting the Miller Dowel booth at IWF I asked if they had them in other wood types than the ones I had seen. They replied that they did not, but would let me know when they came out with new ones. Four months later they call me at the office to let me know of 4 new wood types. I was very impressed with this type of service.

Brian