PDA

View Full Version : Confused by slot cutter router bits

Andrew Pitonyak
07-11-2012, 2:09 AM
I want to cut some slots using a router and a guide bit to set the depth. My first thought was a Freud 61-102 set, which includes 4 cutters, 3 bearings, and an arbor. OK, easy to get everything in one shot.

I then looked at Whiteside bits here:

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/whiteside/slotting-router-bits/slotting-cutters-arbors-router-bits/

I noticed that they have 3 wing and 4 wing cutters. For example, 6710A and 6710B. Unsure how much of a different it makes. Does anyone have any experience here?

Now, things get a bit worse. Perhaps I buy a few cutters. Then I need an arbor. Say an A210B, which has a 1/2" shank. The claim is that A210B will cut a depth of 1/2". OK, fine, No problem. All of the cutters at which I am looking have a 5/16" bore. I assume that the A210B has a 5/16" bore as well.

The page at carbide processors, indicates the bearings that I can purchase to alter the depth of cut. One of the listed bearings has a different inner diameter (The B20 has a 3/16" inner diameter). I assume, therefore, that I cannot use B20 with the A210B.

Also, can I stack cutters with the whiteside set? I see no particular mention of it. It seems that I can on the Freud set.

Victor Robinson
07-11-2012, 2:45 AM
I looked at doing it all individually like you, got confused by various arbors/bearings, but then I just got the Amana Timberline slot cutter set on AMZ. Does everything I need it to do. The quality may not be up to Whiteside, but I'm usually not worried about the finish on the inside of a slot.

Peter Quinn
07-11-2012, 6:10 AM
Andrew, no confusion really. All the whitesde bearings listed have a 5/16" ID, the 3/16" listed at the top of the page for the B20 is typo, look down the page under "product description" and it lists 5/16" as the ID there. Yes, you can stack cutters on the white side arbors, I use them at work. You have a 7/8" arbor length to fit the cutters, bearing, lock washer and nut. Not sure how that compares to the Freud. 4 wing cutters give you a slightly faster feed rate, not really important IMO for a hand feed or hand held router application. I stick to 3 wing. In fact I went with an Amana adjustable slot cutter for my home shop, and it works great. Also look at Infinity, I think they sell a similar kit and their bits are very good.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-11-2012, 8:56 AM
Excellent, thanks... I will probably create an order today then.