PDA

View Full Version : Monster pre gloat...

David DeCristoforo
07-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Well, it looks like the now famous Mark Norman Monster Bowl Lathe is going to live at my house!!!
I have no idea how I will fit this thing into my tent but whatever has to go will go to get it wedged in there.
Sometime soon, hopefully within the next two weeks, I will take a trip down to Mark's place to "pick it up".

Now, where did I leave that can of yellow paint....

Kathy Marshall
07-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Well then I guess this is a pre congratulations!
I guess we're going to need pics of how you actually unload it from your trailer and move it into your tent :eek:. And I expect we'll be seeing some Big Bowls from you in the future!

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-11-2012, 8:21 AM
Oh Oh! I can see it now. A gigantic rosewood burl "Thing a Ma Mig on a Steek". Good luck and I hope the move goes smoothly.
faust

Jim Underwood
07-11-2012, 9:12 AM
Heh. So now you can turn bowls big enough to hide in? :p

Tim Rinehart
07-11-2012, 9:22 AM
Can't think of a better home for Mark's Monster Lathe. Looking forward to some pics of the loading/unloading and of course the 12 foot long, 3/4" wide curlies you generate from it!

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2012, 10:05 AM
What lathe? I don't see no lathe.:D Congrats DD.

Roger Chandler
07-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Nice move, DD! That ought to get your nerves all a-tingle! Pics, Pics, Pics!!!

Scott Hackler
07-11-2012, 10:56 AM
1) Congrats! I remember Mark's journey marking this lathe and it's a cool piece of work
2) Your gonna need a crane to unload it and position it in the tent!

Steve Busey
07-11-2012, 11:53 AM
1) gonna need a crane to unload it and position it in the tent!

I'm thinking he may need to reinforce his plywood floor, too...

David DeCristoforo
07-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Well it looks like I'm going to pick the monster up on Monday. Gotta seriously rearrange things between now and then.
Pics will be taken!!!

The plywood floor is solid. It's sitting on 2X4 sleepers on 12" centers and the whole thing is sitting on a concrete slab.
Should be fine. Plus it's an "opportunity" to clean "the shop" again.

Now I'm going to have to learn how to turn bowls!

Alan Trout
07-11-2012, 1:18 PM
David,

That should be a fun piece to move and use.

Have fun,

Alan

Roger Chandler
07-11-2012, 2:11 PM
David............ramps and dollys...............if you can get the thing loaded on some dollys, and use ramps to go up a trailer and down...........then you can use a hydrolic jack to lift the lathe off the dollys once you have it where you want it.........just be careful!

Rolling that thing would be much more advisable that lifting it! One dolly on the headstock end and one on the tailstock end....you may need an extra hand or two, but moving that thing is a fairly easy process if you have the correctly made dollys and some ramps and a jack..............good luck!!!

David DeCristoforo
07-11-2012, 2:20 PM
Not worried about moving it. I've been moving heavy machinery around for most of my life. Just "part of the job".

Trust me... I'll get it done!

Scott Hackler
07-11-2012, 3:15 PM
Without searching back through Mark's thread, I seem to remember something around 700 lbs or so!

You should have someone document the unload and placement, with a camera.

Mike Cruz
07-11-2012, 4:42 PM
Pre-congrats, DD! Can't wait to see your pics...

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2012, 5:12 PM
Congrats David! Like everyone else - I am looking forward to the photos! Sometimes a new lathe makes a huge difference in our turning because it makes it fun again! Hope it leads to new and exciting turnings for you!

Harry Robinette
07-11-2012, 10:31 PM
DD
To move use black pipes about 5 or 6 you only have to raise the Monster 1" to get a pipe under so if you raise it 2 or 3" you can get 3 or4 pipes under it. large heavy objects have been moved like this for Thousands of years.We put a 16" grizzly Metal lathe in my buddy's garage this way with just 4 of us,just keep moving the pipes.

Rick Markham
07-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Congrats David, I'm glad I live too far away to help you move that giant thing! Sounds like you need a bigger tent, might be easier to build the shop around the lathe :D

Phil Thien
07-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Well, you don't have to worry about anyone stealing the thing. In fact, you could chain all your other stuff to the concrete lathe.

Baxter Smith
07-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Congrats on the lathe! Good thing it was free David. The 100+ pound rosewood burls you put on it probably won't be. This should be fun to watch!

Jeff Nicol
07-14-2012, 8:52 PM
David, I am glad that it is going to a good home, how big of a pretty NE amphora on a very slim pedestal can you make on it? It will give you a lot of oportunities of mega turnings, have fun.

Jeff

John Cooper2
07-14-2012, 9:01 PM
I went back and reread the entire thread of Marks, Boy did I want to join him on this build.

David, I would love to come help move that beast, but I just got out of a foot cast and I don't think my doc or wife would be thrilled with me moving machinery around rite now. I would love to come visit if possible when I get a bit more mobile.

I am just east of Sacramento about 45 min away from Richards and 80 in Davis.

David DeCristoforo
07-15-2012, 6:49 PM
"...I would love to come help move that beast, but I just got out of a foot cast..."

You are welcome to come over and watch. Should be quite a show...

"...how big of a pretty NE amphora on a very slim pedestal can you make on it..."

Ahh... now there is the question! We may have to talk. I don't think Mark ever got around to building a tailstock or a banjo/toolrest for it....