PDA

View Full Version : Delta 14'' BS

Jerry Thompson
07-10-2012, 8:13 PM
I am slowly upgrading my 1992 BS. Soon I will be installing a riser kit. Then, as money gets saved, I plan on changing out the 3/4 hp for a 2 hp. I plan on buying a Leeson or a Baldor. The sites show 2 hp, 1740 RPM but not with a 56 frame.
My question is, will another frame type work without a lot of hassle? I was told that I may not be able to replace the metal panel. This could be an OK work around.
Anyone with any advice?

Peter Kelly
07-10-2012, 10:15 PM
http://www.agrisales-inc.com/item_description.php?int_item_id=142

If you look up the same item on Ebay I think you can get it for $10 or so dollars less from Agri Sales' storefront there.

Michael W. Clark
07-11-2012, 12:50 AM
I have a 14" open stand Delta. The motor mounts to a plate that is hinged. The weight of the motor holds the tension on the belt, is this how yours is arranged? If so, I think you would check the slot dimensions in the metal plate and compare it the mounting dimensions for the new motor frame. If it doesn't fit, seems like you could drill the metal plate for the new holes or add another plate to it where you could attach new motor bolts. Maybe you could add a 3/4" thick hard maple board to your existing plate with carriage bolts spaced for the new motor?

Mike

Bruce Wrenn
07-11-2012, 10:55 PM
I assume your is an AMERICAN Made saw with open stand. If mounting holes are different from those in stand, just add a piece of 3/4 plywood with tee nuts in it. One set to match stand and other to match motor. A trick that requires a little work is to get a second motor of the same RPM. Buy from same source both a shingle and double sheave that are the same size as current sheave (pulley). Mount double on existing motor, cut a slot though stand and mount second motor on hinged plate below existing motor. Use links belts to connect motors and either link belts or original belt to connect motor to saw. Feed switch to second motor thru first motor's switch. Only turn on second motor when extra power is needed.

Jerry Thompson
07-12-2012, 8:05 AM
Thank you all for the help. My saw is a 28-230. It was made in the USA and is enclosed. I talked with Iturra and was told that a motor with a frame other than a 56 may stick out precluding replacing the cover. I can deal with that. I plan on getting the motor that Peter directed me to.
This is a way off as I have to rat hole some $.

Peter Kelly
07-12-2012, 9:03 AM
Same motor I'd bought last year after I'd chatted with Mr. Iturra. Huge improvement over the stock Delta one.

Glen Blanchard
07-12-2012, 9:43 AM
Jerry - Sounds like you will be spending a decent amount of cash on upgrading that saw, and that you may have a need for some resawing. Have you considered selling the saw, and then taking those proceeds along with the funds you would have used to upgrade to purchase a beefier saw? It seems to me that it would be likely that you could find a bigger, more robust saw without having to spend more cash than you will have put into your 14" by the time you are done. The problem is after all that upgrading, you will still have a 14" saw with its inherent limitations (flex in the neck ,etc).

Just a thought.

John TenEyck
07-12-2012, 9:55 AM
FWIW, I put a riser kit on my much older than yours Delta 14" saw, on which I had already installed a 1.5 HP motor. It resaws just fine with a good 1/2" blade. I've cut quite a lot of white oak 10"+ thick with it, and some walnut veneer with it at almost 12". I did some tension testing and pretty much confirmed what others have said, that is, you cannot fully tension even a 1/2" blade on these saws due to frame flex. I managed to get about 17,000 psi on a 1/2" blade with an Iturra spring, but I would never run it that high on a normal basis, nor is there any way a 3/4" blade can be tensioned even minimally on these saws despite what the manufacturers may claim. At a more comfortable 12,000 psi, however, it resaws just fine with a sharp blade of the appropriate tooth configuration. I'm using Olson MVP blades at the moment and they cut very well.

So, your plan will work but if you plan to do a lot of resawing I would agree with others to consider a saw more sprecifically designed to handle higher blade tension.

John

Jerry Thompson
07-12-2012, 1:05 PM
At present I can re-saw Live Oak @ 6'' and get a great cut and all the same thickness using a 1/2'' Timber Wolf blade. I will use the BS for other things now that I have more confidence and a better cutting machine.
I have spent over two years searching for a larger saw and have found none that did not involve a day's drive each way just to look at it.
The way I am going now seems the best for me. Who knows how much would have to be spent on a used BS once it was put to use?
Thanks everyone.

Van Huskey
07-12-2012, 3:56 PM
I agree with some of the others in regards to a heavier saw. FYI I just listed an almost new Rikon 10-325 last week in the Deals and Discounts forum being sold in Tampa for $400. The deals are out there you just have to really look.

Carroll Courtney
07-12-2012, 9:20 PM
Personally,IMO a 1hp motor is plenty for a 14" BS.Going w/ a 2hp motor means that you will also need a switch(S/S) that will handle the higher amperage and I'm guessing that a 2hp will be 220volt.I have a 20"BS and it has a 2hp motor that is just right for resawing,not to small and not to big.----Carroll

Van Huskey
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Personally,IMO a 1hp motor is plenty for a 14" BS.Going w/ a 2hp motor means that you will also need a switch(S/S) that will handle the higher amperage and I'm guessing that a 2hp will be 220volt.I have a 20"BS and it has a 2hp motor that is just right for resawing,not to small and not to big.----Carroll

Carroll, I forgot you had a 20", I was enthralled with the 14" PMs and the big Crescent.

Peter Kelly
07-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Thank you all for the help. My saw is a 28-230. It was made in the USA and is enclosed. I talked with Iturra and was told that a motor with a frame other than a 56 may stick out precluding replacing the cover. I can deal with that. I plan on getting the motor that Peter directed me to.
This is a way off as I have to rat hole some $.

Correction, I actually bought the 1 1/2 hp motor: http://www.agrisales-inc.com/item_description.php?int_item_id=140

The 56H frame has a 5/8" shaft which fits the pulleys that come with the saw. Also, I strongly recommend getting a link belt and Iturra's machined cast iron pulleys. I also found this a big improvement over the stock setup.