PDA

View Full Version : Feeling like I got mugged

john passek
07-10-2012, 6:12 PM
I recently ordered an item ( rosewood clock and pen set) from a regular supplier, our cost was $31.00 CAN shipping was $28.00 CAN when I added up the total cost it turns out I'll lose money if I charge what the retail price is. I will make a little on the engraving but can't survive long doing that.
I'm sure I'm not the only one to experience this dilema.
That's why I don't buy from JDS, the freight cost as much as the product so there's no room for profit.:(
Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent my frustrations.

ray hampton
07-10-2012, 6:54 PM
If you want to shout this again then shout it OUT

Joe Pelonio
07-10-2012, 8:36 PM
No local suppliers? In the Seattle area we have good local suppliers for Rowmark, IPI and acrylic, and last time I needed it a local award supplier in nearby Auburn. Maybe worth a short vacation down here and stock up for the return trip? Don't know how your import taxes/duty would work though, I suppose it might wipe out any savings on shipping.

Bill Cunningham
07-10-2012, 9:29 PM
I recently ordered an item ( rosewood clock and pen set) from a regular supplier, our cost was $31.00 CAN shipping was $28.00 CAN when I added up the total cost it turns out I'll lose money if I charge what the retail price is. I will make a little on the engraving but can't survive long doing that.
I'm sure I'm not the only one to experience this dilema.
That's why I don't buy from JDS, the freight cost as much as the product so there's no room for profit.:(
Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent my frustrations.

Try these folks.. Located in orillia ont.
http://www.eliteawards.com/productlisting.php?id=17

The prices shown are retail, contact them and they will send you a wholesale .pdf..

John Noell
07-11-2012, 4:56 PM
I have to admit I knew that moving to a small island in the middle of the Pacific would have some extra costs, but in Fiji you not only pay duty (up to 32%) and VAT (15%) on your imported goods, but you also pay the same duty and VAT on 75% of the shipping costs! And shipping to Fiji is expensive! As a result, for things like Rowmark, my price per square unit is at least doubled what it would cost in the USA.

john passek
07-11-2012, 9:29 PM
Thanks Ray, compared to some members locations I have it not too bad.
Most of my suppliers for things like medals and trophy stuff , Plaques are a fair distance away so I am stuck if I need something in a hurry, I can't wait 'til the last minute to build up an order to make it worth while. I try to shop as close to home as possible.
I get all my metal and plastic sheet stock from Engravers Express in Vancouver B,C. thats where i baught my laser from, they are good to deal with and have reasonable prices. I am limited to encore plastic though because they own the manufacturing plant, so if I want something from IPI or Rowmark I have to look else where.
Joe, you might have given me a reason to visit the states even just to check things out, now that the rules have changed on the amount you can bring back will help too.
Bill, we use PDU, and Tromart which I think are in Ontario or Toronto area. I will check out Elite awards and let you know if we switch, thanks.
John, i'd hate to be in your shoes, do you still make pretty decent profit after all the extra expenses.
Thanks to all who replied, it's nice being able to discuss issues with others that have experienced the same.
Have a great summer, :)

Tony Lenkic
07-12-2012, 3:08 PM
John,

If you did not know, Caldwell recognition has office in Surrey BC. Head office is in Mississauga, ON.
I think they may be distributing Elite line.
Engravers Express in Ontario stocks Rowmark & IPI plastic so I thought that head office in BC would do the same. You will pay few buck more per sheet for them.

Cesco (Canadian Engravers Supply Ltd.) has office in Calgary for all your Rowmark & IPI lines.

Mick A Martin
07-12-2012, 3:16 PM
No local suppliers? In the Seattle area we have good local suppliers for Rowmark, IPI and acrylic, and last time I needed it a local award supplier in nearby Auburn. Maybe worth a short vacation down here and stock up for the return trip? Don't know how your import taxes/duty would work though, I suppose it might wipe out any savings on shipping.

Joe,

Is this the place where you buy your Rowmark: Hansen Supply Company, 922 N.W. Leary Way, Seattle, WA 98107,USA

john passek
07-14-2012, 1:00 PM
Hi Tony
we do use Caldwell but a lot of times we get backorders because they don't have enough in stock, so they ship it from Alberta, or Ontario.

Cesco has been good for some stuff but it takes a while longer to get here for some reason.
PDU ship same day and generally we will get it the next day or two. actually they had a blowout on laserit last week and I bought enough to last me a year or two.
Engravers have a good selection of sheet stock both metal and plastic at reasonable rates compared to others. Not sure why they are the only outlet selling strickly EnCore, but they have comeout with some new plastics and are releasing more all the time. You can also custom order specific colors.
I guess it all comes down to it, life never goes as smooth as we'd like it to.

Martin Boekers
07-17-2012, 1:03 PM
Are there any trade shows up there that you may be able to find vendors? Also check ASI suppliers in Canada as they have many
of the same if not better pieces.

john passek
07-18-2012, 6:49 PM
Hi Martin, no there are no trade shows here, Engravers Express in Vancouver had a show at Harrison lake but it was really small and only had a few local vendors .
Who is ASI and where are they located. I have contacted Elite awards and requested a catalog and wholesale account forms but have not heard back yet'

Martin Boekers
07-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi Martin, no there are no trade shows here, Engravers Express in Vancouver had a show at Harrison lake but it was really small and only had a few local vendors .
Who is ASI and where are they located. I have contacted Elite awards and requested a catalog and wholesale account forms but have not heard back yet'

John, ASI is one of a few associations that distributed ad specialty products. These are are products you see at events or promotions
typically with company logos on. ASI is a bit expensive to join, they provide software and vendors that make
the products for resale.
Many of the vendors will sell to non members if they have a business or tax ID. They have items from cheap to expensive.

I buy from a few of them as sometimes they are cheaper in price or have items that aren't available through traditional
awards vendors.

Most you can buy products as blank, but they will engrave or mark an item for additional cost. If you see a catalog with
a letter in back of the pricing that is the discounted price code. That way you can use the catalog and not show your pricing on it.
Search ASI pricing codes for more info.

You may want to search Canada ASI as I'm sure there is an organization that sell the products in Canada.

They usually put on trade shows also, but most require membership.

Hope this helps

Bill Cunningham
07-19-2012, 9:36 PM

Bev probably dropped them in the mail to you.. She's always been prompt with my requests..