PDA

View Full Version : Workbench recommendations

David Dalzell
07-10-2012, 2:07 PM
I will soon be buying a workbench. I am undecided between the Lie-Nielsen Improved workbench and the Sjobergs Elite 2000 workbench. They are both about the same size. I lean towards the Lie-Nielsen but I am not sure why. Perhaps the 12" spacing between guides on the face vise, perhaps because it is American made. This 12" spacing would be very usefull when cutting dovetails. I recently completed 10 months of woodworking school, College of the Redwoods, where we used similar benches, so I am familiar with the overall capabilities. I am mostly a hand tool worker, though I have and use machines when it makes sense. I will not be able to actually see or touch either of these benches before commiting. I am not interested in building my own bench. Has anyone been able to actually compare these two benches? If you have either of these two benches would you recommend it? Any help, recommendations would be appreciated.

Dale Cruea
07-10-2012, 2:24 PM
I purchased the Sjoberg 2000 with cabinets last year. It is a nice bench. It is a little high for me.
It does wobble a little when planing across the bench but not bad, you can feel it move a smidgin.
My biggest complaint is that while the vises hold well the tops of the vises are not parallel or at the same height as the top when open. About 1/16" low at the vise top when open.
The vises are pointed slightly downward as the open.
The bench does cost less than LN bench and mine was here in 2 days. The top was/is dead flat.
I like the vise placement because they match my old bench.
If I were to buy a new bench today I am not sure I would buy this bench again.
It would be between the LN with the height I need and this one. But I do think this bench would come in 2nd.
Nice bench, I love it, but I think they and I could do better for the price.
Not knocking the bench. It is just a little over priced for the construction.
BTW... The one thing that sent me over the top was that the insides of the vises did not have a finish on them. They sprayed the bench with the vises on and closed. Ranted for 2 days about that.

Curt Putnam
07-10-2012, 4:04 PM
I have a smaller Sjoberg bench that I bought on clearance (1500 or so ???) Not very happy with it. Racks, top is dished, bounces around when just sawing let alone planing. Got to touch a LN bench at a show around '05 or so. Absolutely no question in my mind that LN is the better choice. Note that there is an apples to pumpkins comparison going on here so take my comments with that in mind.

Andrew Hughes
07-10-2012, 4:21 PM
Hi David,First thing i want to say is i am a little envious of you.I wanted to take some time to visit the college of the red wood school.Perhaps signup for some classes.But now my wife and i are guardings of our grandson those dreams are squashed.I have a Lie neilson bench top.I made the base.Its a real nice tool for me.I waited on a list for about a year.Its not my first bench but maybe my last.Two things i like the most is it does not rock and the top is still very flat.Hope this helps Andrew

Peter Hawser
07-10-2012, 5:12 PM
I have the Lie Nielsen new improved bench and have used the Sjoberg 2000 briefly at a store. I think there is no comparison. The LN is superior in wood/materials, design and vices. Some may say the LN is a little light (at about 250 pounds), but I don't agree. Still, I added a lower shelf and have some extra weight there with the shelf, some bench hooks, tools... but have not had a problem with it rocking or moving while planing or doing anything. Oh, and you can order it any height you want (within some wide range of course).

If you don't believe me, I think CS saying this is the only bench he would consider buying is a pretty good indicator.

David Dalzell
07-10-2012, 5:46 PM
Well it seems that there is a fairly consistant opinion that the LN bench is better. Thanks to all who have answered me so far. I appreciate the help. By the way, the College of Redwoods woodworking school was one of the best experiances of my life. It is intense. Six days a week, 8 hours a day minimum. But everyone spends a lot more time at the shop than that. The instructors are fantastic. I don't think anyone could ask for better instructors or a better woodworking learning experience.